Islamic Christianophobia

Topic locked
Islamic Christianophobia Feb 06, 2010
An article providing real examples of religious persecution. But strangely, it isn't Muslims who are the victims.

The world ignores the persecution of Christians in the Muslim world.
In Egypt, seven Coptic Christians were murdered yesterday by a Muslim gunman as they filed out of a midnight mass in the southern town of Nag Hamadi. In Pakistan, more than 100 Christian homes were ransacked by a Muslim mob last July in the village of Bahmaniwala. In Iraq that same month, seven Christian churches were bombed in Baghdad and Mosul in the space of three days.
Such atrocities—and there are scores of other examples—are grim reminders that when it comes to persecution, few groups have suffered as grievously as Christians in Muslim lands. Fewer still have suffered with such little attention paid. Now a new report from the non-profit ministry, Open Doors USA, shines a light on the scale of oppression.
In its annual World Watch List, Open Doors ranks eight Muslim countries among the 10 worst persecutors of Christians. The other two, North Korea (which tops the list) and Laos, are communist states. Of the 50 countries on the list, 35 are majority Muslim.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... pe_opinion

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Islamic Christianophobia Feb 06, 2010
First the Saturday people, than the Sunday people.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Islamic Christianophobia Feb 07, 2010
its cultural ;)
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Islamic Christianophobia Feb 09, 2010
its Colonial.. :shock:

The intellectual face of Islam pushes extremists off stage
Too often, Islam gets a bad rap, as extremists grab media attention, blocking from public view the rational, intellectual side of Islam.

This weekend, I had the privilege to witness the other side of Islam, at the Scholar in Residence program at Or Hadash, a Reconstructionist congregation in the suburbs of the City Between Two Rivers.

The speakers were Rumee Ahmed and Ayesha Chaudhry, professors at Colgate University. The pair are totally modern, totally American second generation immigrants. Their parents came from Pakistan. Ahmed was born in the Washington, D.C. area. Chaundhry was born in Toronto, and is here on a green card.

They tackled hard parts of the Qu'ran, interpreting, tempering and rationalizing passages written as absolutes, one of which could justify abuse of women.

I left the event with three pearls of understanding:

1. Tribalism. Violence, extremism and honor killings, are the result of tribal behavior rather than religion. Much of the Islamic world is rural, where tribal affinities prevail over government and religion. When the people converted to Islam, the religion was imposed on the existing trial customs, cultures and lifestyles. Hence the Islam of Tanzania is different from the Islam of India and the Islam of Indonesia.

2. Colonialism. The great universities of classic Islamic philosophy and law were destroyed by colonialism. The Islamic clergy has declined in quality and prestige. The best and the brightest Muslims aspire to other careers. Though colonialism in the Islamic world officially ended in the two decades after after World War II, there is great resentment against the West Colonialism has left a scar in the individual and collective self-esteem among Muslims.

3. Integration. There has been little terrorism in the U.S. Muslim community, due to the high degree of integration in American life. Islamic immigrants are generally well educated and socially mobile. They have good incomes. African-American Muslims have been in this country for generations. In Europe, by contrast, Muslim immigrants are enghettoed. There is little social mobility, with children continuing in the same low paying occupations as their parents. European Muslims resent colonialism. France, Britain and Holland were colonial powers in the Muslim world.

The Scholar in Residence program was sponsored by Joan and Ben Dickstein who have spent their lives pursuing human rights, social justice and interfaith dialogue.

I salute Or Hadash for helping me appreciate the diversity in Islam and lowering walls within the greater American community
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

the problem is Berrin that "the intellectual muslims" are tooooooo quiet they need to be stronger and louder.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

Berrin wrote:its Colonial.. :shock:

Saudi Arabia was colonized? :shock:
event horizon

Re: Islamic Christianophobia Feb 27, 2010
Looks like things aren't going well for Christians in either Nigeria or Liberia. Too bad, sub-saharan Africa used to be a place where there seemed to be little inter-religious quarrels.
event horizon

Re: Islamic Christianophobia Feb 27, 2010
Oh, sheikh - you are right. Sub-saharan Africa was indeed doing quite well up until the missionaries and colonialists arrived. But wasn't that where there was Apartheid too? And didn't the Boers (some of them at least) use the Bible to justify the racist laws?

Good points sheikh.

As for religious and tribal strife - the Muslims are victims as well. But hey, why let that fact distract from your excellent efforts of getting people to read the Quran and study Islam?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Islamic Christianophobia Feb 28, 2010
No - I'm not exactly aware of violent religious conflict between the natives of sub-Saharan Africa.

Perhaps you have examples beyond your strawman?
event horizon

On Saturday:
event horizon wrote:Looks like things aren't going well for Christians in either Nigeria or Liberia. Too bad, sub-saharan Africa used to be a place where there seemed to be little inter-religious quarrels.

On Sunday:
event horizon wrote:No - I'm not exactly aware of violent religious conflict between the natives of sub-Saharan Africa.

Dear sheikh, you appear to be confused.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

No, not at all. I said previously that I was not aware of sectarian conflicts in sub-Saharan Africa that often times plagued regions in other parts of the world - such as in Iraq and Pakistan today or in the Ottoman empire in previous centuries.

Are you perhaps still confused by the term 'sectarian' conflict?
event horizon

So, you are saying that Sub Saharan Africa STILL has little inter-religious quarrels. So what were you saying on Saturday then? What was 'too bad'?

shafique wrote:On Saturday:
event horizon wrote:Looks like things aren't going well for Christians in either Nigeria or Liberia. Too bad, sub-saharan Africa used to be a place where there seemed to be little inter-religious quarrels.

On Sunday:
event horizon wrote:No - I'm not exactly aware of violent religious conflict between the natives of sub-Saharan Africa.

Dear sheikh, you appear to be confused.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Looks like things aren't going well for Christians in either Nigeria or Liberia. Too bad, sub-saharan Africa used to be a place where there seemed to be little inter-religious quarrels.
event horizon

:)

You are confused, it seems.

You implied on Saturday that there are now inter-religious quarrels in sub-saharan africa, and yet on Sunday you said you weren't aware of any. [sigh]

Anyway - let's focus on you not answering the questions about Rapture, who killed Jesus and whether it's ok to kill women, boys and men and enslave 32,000 virgins like the Israelites did according to the Bible.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Poor guy, this shafique character can't pick up that I was referring to the past tense in my previous post.

My first post probably would have clarified the issue, but this guy has terrible reading comprehension.
event horizon

It appears the pot is calling the kettle black :)

So, you say that there was no religous strife in the past, and I agreed with this assessment - noting that there was significant violence and injustice after missionaries arrived in Sub-saharan Africa with their colonial brothers:

shafique wrote:Oh, sheikh - you are right. Sub-saharan Africa was indeed doing quite well up until the missionaries and colonialists arrived. But wasn't that where there was Apartheid too? And didn't the Boers (some of them at least) use the Bible to justify the racist laws?

Good points sheikh.

As for religious and tribal strife - the Muslims are victims as well. But hey, why let that fact distract from your excellent efforts of getting people to read the Quran and study Islam?

But I have to admit I was confused by the Sunday statement that the sheikh was now unaware of any inter-religious strife.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

noting that there was significant violence and injustice after missionaries arrived in Sub-saharan Africa with their colonial brothers:

I understand that - but the European colonists probably arrived well more than a century ago so my point that the sectarian conflict between the natives as being recent would not have applied.

Further, I am referring to actual sectarian conflict - as we are seeing in Iraq and Pakistan and Lebanon. I doubt any of that type of conflict took place in Africa until very recently, which appeared to have started in Nigeria a few years ago and seems to have spread.

As for European colonists, we can see who destroyed/conquered more African civilizations - the Europeans or Islamic Jihad.
event horizon

Re: Islamic Christianophobia Mar 01, 2010
event horizon wrote:As for European colonists, we can see who destroyed/conquered more African civilizations - the Europeans or Islamic Jihad.

Ok - over to you then, I'd be interested in seeing how you count the numbers of civilsations conquered by Islamic armies and European colonials and which is greater.

I'd guess that the rape of Africa under European colonisation is worse than the benign Islamic rule of northern Africa, but I haven't really compared the two before. I therefore look forward to your comparisons and trust this isn't another 'AMNT' statement from you.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Here's a list of African civilizations that wikipedia provides:

* African Civilizations

* Axum
* Ghana Empire
* Mali Empire
* Songhai Empire
* Great Zimbabwe
* Kanem Empire
* Bornu Empire
* Kingdom of Kongo

We can see which of these civilizations declined due to Islamic warfare or due to European colonialism.
event horizon

Ok - go for it.

As I said, I haven't made the comparisons myself - so I am most interested in your research and counts. Just let us know how each civilisation ended when you are making your tally.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The Axum empire seems to have fallen as a result of the Jihad conquests that limited trade between her and her traditional trading partners.:

It is believed it began a long slow decline after the 7th century due partly to Islamic groups contesting trade routes. Eventually Aksum was cut off from its principal markets in Alexandria, Byzantium and Southern Europe and its trade share was captured by Arab traders of the era. The Kingdom of Aksum also quarreled with Islamic groups over religion. Eventually the people of Aksum were forced south and their civilization declined. As the kingdom's power declined so did the influence of the city, which is believed to have lost population in the decline similar to Rome and other cities thrust away from the flow of world events. The last known (nominal) king to reign was crowned ca. 10th century, but the kingdom's influence and power ended long before that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axum#Axum_and_Islam

The Ghana empire once again seems to have declined when conflict between her and the Almoravid empire erupted:

The empire began struggling after reaching its apex in the early 11th century. By 1059, the population density around the empire's leading cities was seriously overtaxing the region. The Sahara desert was expanding southward, threatening food supplies. While imported food was sufficient to support the population when income from trade was high, when trade faltered, this system also broke down. It has been often supposed that Ghana came under siege by the Almoravids in 1062 under the command of Abu-Bakr Ibn-Umar in an attempt to gain control of the coveted Saharan trade routes. A war was waged, said to have been justified as an act of conversion through military arms (lesser jihad) in which they were eventually successful in subduing Ghana by 1067, despite resistance by Ghana Bassi and his successor Ghana Tunka Manin. This view however, has seen general scrutiny and is disputed by some scholars as a distortion of primary sources.[5] Conrad and Fisher (1982) suggested that the notion of any Almoravid military conquest at its core is merely perpetuated folklore, while others such as Dierk Lange attributed the decline of ancient Ghana to numerous unrelated factors, only one of which can be likely attributable to internal dynastic struggles that were instigated by Almoravid influence and Islamic pressures, but devoid of any military conversion and conquest.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana_Empire#Decline

The Mali empire is said to have declined after a king died and his three sons were left to quarrel over who should rule the empire. Additionally, (and once again) Jihadists seem to have attacked the Mali because they were not 'Islamic' enough?

Collapse
Mali Empire and surrounding states, c. 1625.

The mansa’s defeat actually won Manden the respect of Morocco and may have saved it from Songhai’s fate. It would be the Mandinka themselves that would cause the final destruction of the empire. Around 1610, Mahmud IV died. Oral tradition states that he had three sons who fought over Manden's remains. No single person ever ruled Manden after Mahmuud IV's death, resulting in the end of the Mali Empire.[56]
[edit] Manden Divided

The old core of the empire was divided into three spheres of influence. Kangaba, the de facto capital of Manden since the time of the last emperor, became the capital of the northern sphere. The Joma area, governed from Siguiri, controlled the central region, which encompassed Niani. Hamana or Amana, southwest of Joma, became the southern sphere with its capital at Kouroussa in modern Guinea.[56] Each ruler used the title of mansa, but their authority only extended as far as their own sphere of influence. Despite this disunity in the realm, the realm remained under Mandinka control into the mid 17th century. The three states warred on each other as much if not more than they did against outsiders, but rivalries generally stopped when faced with invasion. This trend would continue into colonial times against Tukulor enemies from the west.[57]
[edit] The Bamana Jihad

Then, in 1630, the Bamana of Djenné declared their version of holy war on all Muslim powers in present day Mali.[58] They targeted Moroccan Pashas still in Timbuktu and the mansas of Manden. In 1645, the Bamana attacked Manden seizing both banks of the Niger right up to Niani.[58] This campaign gutted Manden and destroyed any hope of the three mansas cooperating to free their land. The only Mandinka power spared from the campaign is Kangaba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_Empire#Collapse

The Songhai empire seems to have fallen due to infighting and neighbors seeking to win territory:

Following Dauoud's death, a civil war of succession weakened the Empire, leading Saadi Sultan Ahmad I al-Mansur Saadi of Morocco to dispatch an invasion force under the eunuch Judar Pasha. Judar Pasha was a Spaniard by birth, but had been captured as an infant and educated at the Saadi court. After a cross-Saharan march, Judar's forces razed the salt mines at Taghaza and moved on Gao; when Askia Ishaq II (r. 1588-1591) met Judar at the 1591 Battle of Tondibi, Songhai forces were routed by a cattle stampede triggered by the Saadi's gunpowder weapons despite vastly superior numbers. Judar proceeded to sack Gao, Timbuktu, and Djenné, destroying the Songhai as a regional power. Governing so vast an empire proved too much for the Saadi dynasty, and they soon relinquished control of the region, letting it splinter into dozens of smaller kingdoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songhai_Empire#Decline

Great Zimbabwe fell for reasons that are not entirely known, but it might have been due to the usual suspects, disruption in trade, famine and water shortages:

Decline

Causes for the decline and ultimate abandonment of the site have been suggested as due to a decline in trade compared to sites further north, political instability and famine and water shortages enduced by climatic change.[11][22] The Mutapa state arose in the fifteenth century from the northward expansion of the Great ZImbabwe tradition.[23] Great Zimbabwe also predates the Khami and Nyanga cultures.

The Kanem empire seems to have fallen for reasons that are not explicitly stated. Regardless, their fall occurred before the process of European colonization began.

The Bornu empire also fell due to Jihad as devout Muslims launched a Jihad against Muslims whom they viewed were irreligious - similar to the Jihads launched in regions such as Somalia and Iraq and Pakistan today against 'secular' governments or insufficiently Islamic rulers, etc:

Decline and Fall

The administrative reforms and military brilliance of Aluma sustained the empire until the mid-1600s, when its power began to fade. By the late 1700s, Bornu rule extended only westward, into the land of the Hausa of modern Nigeria. The empire was still ruled by the mai who was advised by his councilors (kokenawa) in the state council or "nokena".[2]
[edit] Fulani Jihad

Around that time, Fulani people, invading from the west, were able to make major inroads into Bornu. By the early 19th century, Kanem-Bornu was clearly an empire in decline, and in 1808 Fulani warriors conquered Ngazargamu. Usman dan Fodio led the Fulani thrust and proclaimed a holy war (the Fulani War) on the allegedly irreligious Muslims of the area. His campaign eventually affected Kanem-Bornu and inspired a trend toward Islamic orthodoxy, but a Muslim scholar turned statesman, Muhammad al-Amin al-Kanemi, contested the Fulani advance.
[edit] Muhammad al-Kanem

Muhammad al-Amin al-Kanemi was a Muslim scholar and non-Sayfawa commander who had put together an alliance of Shuwa Arabs, Kanembu, and other seminomadic peoples. He eventually built in 1814 a capital at Kukawa (in present-day Nigeria). Sayfawa mais remained titular monarchs until 1846. In that year, the last mai, in league with the Ouaddai Empire, precipitated a civil war. It was at that point that Kanemi's son, Umar, became king, thus ending one of the longest dynastic reigns in regional history.
[edit] Post Sayfawa

Although the dynasty ended, the kingdom of Kanem-Bornu survived. Umar eschewed the title mai for the simpler designation shehu (from the Arabic shaykh), could not match his father's vitality and gradually allowed the kingdom to be ruled by advisers (wazirs). Bornu began a further decline as a result of administrative disorganization, regional particularism, and attacks by the militant Ouaddai Empire to the east. The decline continued under Umar's sons. In 1893, Rabih az-Zubayr leading an invading army from eastern Sudan, conquered Bornu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bornu_Empi ... e_and_Fall

The Kingdom of Kongo appears to have been the only sub-Saharan African civilization that was taken over by European powers - the article says the Portuguese took over the Kingdom and this, I am assuming, spelled the death for this African civilization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of ... ristianity

So, it looks like one in nine of Africa's sub-Saharan civilizations were erased by European powers and the rest fell because of Islamic Jihad warfare or infighting or for other reasons.

As for the rape of Africa, that's new to me. Are you referring to the slave trade that took place in East Africa that resulted in the enslavement of some 10 or so million individuals and was abolished by the Europeans (although slavery really continues in Muslim African nations to this day - where in one Muslim African nation, one quarter of the population is a slave)?

Or perhaps you're referring to the rape of European coasts by Muslim African (Berber, Arab) pirates that resulted in the enslavement of over one and half million Europeans? Or perhaps you're thinking of West Africa, where slavery was already rampant and slaves were simply sold to the Europeans by Muslims who enslaved pagan tribes people?
event horizon

By rape of Africa I was referring to the carve up of Africa by colonial powers and the raping of the natural resources. The Atlantic slave trade took place before this and was mostly limited to coastal areas where the slavers bought slaves off African slave merchants. This was bad enough (both morally and economically) but was dwarfed by the rape of Africa that was colonialisation.

So, we have a count of 9 civilisations that were erased/conquered by Europeans.

Axum - from your description it seems it was a victim of economics, not conquest. So 0 on the count so far - or let's keep a separate 'generous' count of 1)

Ghana - again, the evidence seems sketchy from your quote - but ok, let's add another to the generous count - so we're up to 2.

Mali - can't even give a generous count of 1 here - the empire crumbled from within with sons quarelling. So, generous count remains at 2.

Songhai, Great Zimbabwe, Kanem - again, internal collapse. Count remains at 0 (or 2 if we are generous)

Bornu - your quote says it continued after Islamic rule and the rule ended in 1846. So, no collapse due to Islamic rule - count remains at 0 or 2.

Kongo - I agree, this is one for the Christians/Europeans.

But, I have to admit - I'm a bit confused - where did you get the count of 9 erased by Europeans then? Were you counting Mali etc? (Sorry, it might be a bit late - but I thought you'd be counting the civilisations 'erased' by Islamic conquerers vs those erased by European colonisation).

From your list, it seems you've only listed one erased by Europeans (Kongo) and zero (or perhaps 2) by Islamic conquerers. I must be missing something - you know I like to see the numbers ;)

Cheers
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

But, I have to admit - I'm a bit confused - where did you get the count of 9 erased by Europeans then?

I dunno - care to quote me where I did say this?
event horizon

My bad, I misread your 'one in 9' as 9.

See, I did ask for clarification - and you gave it.

So, we have one civilisation we agree was ended by European rule. However, is this really the sum total of the devastation that was colonialisation of sub-saharan Africa?

The two examples of possible civilisations ended by Islamic rule seem pretty flimsy - both were on their last legs it seems (judging by your cut and pastes). And for the earlier Islamic conquests of northern Africa - the Africans took it in their stride and continued with their civilisations afterwards and didn't seem to be adversely affected by Islamic rule (which can't be said for European colonisation).

1 vs 0 (or 2 if we're generous) is an interesting statistic.

You may also want to look at the Ndbele in Zimbabwe - conquered by Rhodes (actually he conned the ruler, then subjugated them), Shona also in Zimbabwe, in Malawi there are about 40 odd tribes etc etc. I'll let you decide whether these should be added to the Kongo.

Thanks for listing the African civilisations though.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Islamic Christianophobia Jul 10, 2010
Well, it doesn't look like things have improved in Africa as of late:

ABUJA, NIGERIA (Worthy News)-- Christians in two states of Nigeria were mourning Wednesday, July 7, the killings of at least eight Christian believers, after Muslim militants reportedly attacked several villages.

http://www.worthynews.com/8499-eight-ch ... im-attacks

(But don't worry, I'm sure the folks at Loonwatch will keep us informed of anti-Christian attacks......)
event horizon

Hey, glad to see you've picked yourself up off the floor after finding out that 73% of your fellow religious republicans reject science's explanation of creation and believe we were all created 6000 years ago!

But we're still waiting to hear your scientific explanation of the Biblical claim that the sun stopped in the sky for a whole day.

But thanks for reminding us that there is still sectarian strife going on in Africa.

But we already know you have a hate-filled view of these conflicts, because you've now come out and explicitly shown your vitriolic, pus-filled views towards Muslims:

event horizon wrote:Peace with Islam and Muslims is impossible. The only time Muslims seek peace is when they need to reload.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Hey, I'm simply stating a fact - the Koran forbids Muslims with making peace with non-believers if the Muslims are more powerful.

Isn't it interesting when loons/Muslims are secretly elated whenever their delusions are confirmed by actual events?

What's the matter - highlighting Muslim injustices against non-believers make it hard to drop the victim card?
event horizon

Loon versions of history and loon interpretations of Islam are fascinating - but understandable given the hate they feel towards Muslims.

However, the claims that the Bible is scientifically accurate is being shown to be nothing more than empty words when presented with actual quotes from the Bible concerning the sun stopping in the sky for a day.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Loon versions of history

Abu Bakr is a loon?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

^Perhaps in loonville he is? (You'll have to check what the likes of Bob 'the huckster' Spencer has taught young eh about this)

As I said, loon versions of history are fascinating - but I'm still holding out for eh's scientific explanation of the Biblical claim that the sun stopped in the sky for a whole day.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums