Do Indians Eat Pork?

Topic locked
Do Indians eat pork? Dec 23, 2007
Wondering whether Indians eat pork - well except for the pork-eating Christians Indians. You never see in on the menu and I am too lazy to look it up so I thought someone here might know.

Never did see curry pork...or pork byriani... but maybe...

C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2007
Yea I eat. Another thing worth asking.. did u mean Indians or Hindu's if u meant Indians' its a conglomeration of ppl with diff cultures, diff religion, diff basis for religious notions.. So, though one may say a pork eating muslim is not muslim anymore.. i have indian muslim friends who eat pork or atleast tried it our a number of times.. n yet they r good people...
on the other hand.. Hindus' yes .... those who eat non-veg eat pork too. So yea we Eat PORK... i'm not a big fan of the fatty stuff though..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 23, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:Yea I eat. Another thing worth asking.. did u mean Indians or Hindu's if u meant Indians' its a conglomeration of ppl with diff cultures, diff religion, diff basis for religious notions.. So, though one may say a pork eating muslim is not muslim anymore.. i have indian muslim friends who eat pork or atleast tried it our a number of times.. n yet they r good people...
on the other hand.. Hindus' yes .... those who eat non-veg eat pork too. So yea we Eat PORK... i'm not a big fan of the fatty stuff though..

Yes, I meant it as a generalization. For example I know Chinese eat pork (different, or no religion).

I am surprised since Hindus are the larges Indian population but I never see pork on Indian Restaurant's menus (I know there are different regions and indian cuisines but..) I am not talking about pork-eating, beer-drinking muslims but generalizing as to whether indian cuisine includes pork (in general) or only a limited number of the indian population eat pork...
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2007
Well in general.. its very difficult to apply the generalization principles there.. however.. taking hindu's as the major populace of India, Indians are not big non-veg eaters. Especially those in the northern parts of India. Since south of India has always welcomed tourers,wanderers, businessmen from other countries (largely from european countries) more freely from pre-historic times, and for the same reason, south indians have a more mixed culture and open set of social values( more tolerant and caring). Hence south of India always had a mixed crowd and had lot more non veggies, who eat everything including beef and pork. However with the new India and its cosmopolitan cities, you have people from differnt parts of india living in these cities. So in those terms.. yes we eat pork. But the % of beef or pork eaters would be less.
There are various reasons for it, Hindu's are predominantly veggies. Those who eat non-veg stick to only Chicken and fish or mutton.
In some myths, people of only lowest class ( the dirty ungly subhumans) ate swine.(Cow is considered sacred for its 'giving' qualities, so less beef)
muslims who form the largest section of non veg eaters in India, dont like eating pig or pig eaters and wouldnt eat from a restaurant that serve pork., like many hindu's wont eat from a restaurant that serves beef :)
Comobine all these.. b u've the answer for the low demand for pork and the reasons for u not finding any pork dishes on the menu.

To sum it up. only a limited number of Indians eat non-veg. but even that limited number may b more than the population of a mid sized country. :D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 23, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:Well in general.. its very difficult to apply the generalization principles there.. however.. taking hindu's as the major populace of India, Indians are not big non-veg eaters. Especially those in the northern parts of India. Since south of India has always welcomed tourers,wanderers, businessmen from other countries (largely from european countries) more freely from pre-historic times, and for the same reason, south indians have a more mixed culture and open set of social values( more tolerant and caring). Hence south of India always had a mixed crowd and had lot more non veggies, who eat everything including beef and pork. However with the new India and its cosmopolitan cities, you have people from differnt parts of india living in these cities. So in those terms.. yes we eat pork. But the % of beef or pork eaters would be less.
There are various reasons for it, Hindu's are predominantly veggies. Those who eat non-veg stick to only Chicken and fish or mutton.
In some myths, people of only lowest class ( the dirty ungly subhumans) ate swine.(Cow is considered sacred for its 'giving' qualities, so less beef)
muslims who form the largest section of non veg eaters in India, dont like eating pig or pig eaters and wouldnt eat from a restaurant that serve pork., like many hindu's wont eat from a restaurant that serves beef :)
Comobine all these.. b u've the answer for the low demand for pork and the reasons for u not finding any pork dishes on the menu.

To sum it up. only a limited number of Indians eat non-veg. but even that limited number may b more than the population of a mid sized country. :D

Thanks man. Makes sense.
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2007
I love Pork.

I know it's haram and all that, but I love it.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 23, 2007
like I said I'm not a big fan .. but i love pork vindalooo..thats something on the indian menu.. fo sho.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 23, 2007
Conci.. here's what u asked for.. pork curry..
:)
http://www.indobase.com/recipes/details/pork-curry.php
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 23, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:Conci.. here's what u asked for.. pork curry..

Yeah but once you put all the curry spicies etc. you could have snake/rat/pebble curry accompanied by heaps of basmati rice and other delicious things.
C0NC0RD
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 23, 2007
C0NC0RD wrote:
St.Lucifer wrote:Conci.. here's what u asked for.. pork curry..

Yeah but once you put all the curry spicies etc. you could have snake/rat/pebble curry accompanied by heaps of basmati rice and other delicious things.

hahaa that was funny man.. pretty much sums our eating habits .. but dont u like it? I love it..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Dec 25, 2007
hmmmm i thought hindus and sikhs werent allowed to eat pork hmm guess i was wrong. But I know for a fact that they arent allowed to eat beef because the Cow is seen as one of their gods.

st.lucy pork is haram for muslims and u mentioned that ur friends tried it, hmmm i would consider them muslims anymore. yes its ok if u had it by mistake i.e u didnt know that it was in something and u took a bite but if u are having it over and over again thats haram mate.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 01, 2008
rudeboy wrote:hmmmm i thought hindus and sikhs werent allowed to eat pork hmm guess i was wrong. But I know for a fact that they arent allowed to eat beef because the Cow is seen as one of their gods.

st.lucy pork is haram for muslims and u mentioned that ur friends tried it, hmmm i would consider them muslims anymore. yes its ok if u had it by mistake i.e u didnt know that it was in something and u took a bite but if u are having it over and over again thats haram mate.

RudeBoy.. dont know if its haram for hindu's or sikhs.. I eat it.. I eat beef as well.. and no its not seen as one of their Gods.

and you are not the authority to decide if one is a muslim or a non muslim.. its them mate..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 02, 2008
sorry i meant beef. I thought hindus couldnt eat beef because the cow is considered as one of the gods or something for the hindus.

bro a muslim is not allowed to eat pork because its Haram. No u r rite I am not the Muslim Authority :D but when i said I dont consider them a muslim that means ME ,I, ONE person not 2 ppl only ME. Yes if they had it by mistake that is ok but if they have a pork sandwich with a cup of tea and then have pork sausages later on for dinner and they know that its pork then its haram for them to eat.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 02, 2008
i personally think pork is disgusting. the smell of it at work makes me so sick :cry:

but i do have a question. why are hindus not allowed to eat meat. i understand that the cow is considered holy, but why not other meats?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 02, 2008
bushra21 wrote:i personally think pork is disgusting. the smell of it at work makes me so sick :cry:

but i do have a question. why are hindus not allowed to eat meat. i understand that the cow is considered holy, but why not other meats?

something to do with Ahmisa which means refraining from injuring - physically, mentally or emotionally - anyone or any living creature. The Hindu who wishes to strictly follow the path of non-injury to all creatures naturally adopts a vegetarian diet. But then again I have seen Hindus even know some who eat meat let it be of a cow or even a goat. And according to Lucifer they even eat pork. Lucifer you want to add anything on?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 02, 2008
rudeboy wrote:
bushra21 wrote:i personally think pork is disgusting. the smell of it at work makes me so sick :cry:

something to do with Ahmisa which means refraining from injuring - physically, mentally or emotionally - anyone or any living creature. The Hindu who wishes to strictly follow the path of non-injury to all creatures naturally adopts a vegetarian diet. But then again I have seen Hindus even know some who eat meat let it be of a cow or even a goat. And according to Lucifer they even eat pork. Lucifer you want to add anything on?

Rudeboy.. thats right. Ahimsa.. is supposed to be the first and basic duty in worhipping God..to mark indebtedness to God and all of God's creations.there are other reasons as well.. spiritual and medical reasons..too. but,had hinduism originated in the middle of a desert, with not much vegetation around, people wouldn'tve had the choice to think about ahimsa, respecting all creatures equally, not eating flesh etc.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jan 02, 2008
i have also heard that they dont eat meat that much because it makes the teeth yellow :D i could be wrong
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 02, 2008
Ya hinduism was not originated in the middle of desert infact it was originated in the middle of "Indians" so I think it will satisfy lucifer's westner friend who wants to know wat they eat and what they dont. If he is still very interested to know more about their eating habbits then just ask him to

"Watch" an indian Eating and he would wish y O y they are even vegeterians.
shahrez
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 02, 2008
shahrez wrote:Ya hinduism was not originated in the middle of desert infact it was originated in the middle of "Indians" so I think it will satisfy lucifer's westner friend who wants to know wat they eat and what they dont. If he is still very interested to know more about their eating habbits then just ask him to

"Watch" an indian Eating and he would wish y O y they are even vegeterians.

you really are a twat arent you
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 02, 2008
I remember a controversy a while back about historical Hindu accounts of Brahmins eating beef and recommending beef to cure certain ailments.

The historian was Indian and Hindu himself, if I recall correctly, and was condemned by Hindu priests etc. However his references were there for all to read - the old scriptures did show that Hindus ate beef.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2001/08/14/st ... 140833.htm

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2001/08/09/st ... 09000p.htm

Perhaps St Lucifer can shed some light on this.

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 02, 2008
back in London it would always be so strange to me that so many young hindus my age i did know would eat a cow even though it was considered as their god. But they still did it even when you said to them hey isnt the cow your god. Now here in UAE the majority of the hindus I do know are much more "conservative" and instead of having beaf they would rather go for chicken, fish or vegies.

By the way I am not judging anyone and I can't say that muslims are perfect worldwide but then again who is perfect? But it always did seem strange to me that in the West hindus didnt care much about the beaf but here they do care. Ys that?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 08, 2008

There is nothing in hindu texts that forbids hindus from eating anything. Hindus have developed their own customs over the centuries. Which is why one will find vast differences in the way hindus practice their religion

Regarding pork. If anyone sees pigs in their natural environment (usually garbage dumps foraging through the trash), they will be turned off eating any part of it.
crvlvr
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums