Holy Prophet, Pbuh - Some Modern Views

Topic locked
Holy Prophet, pbuh - some modern views Nov 10, 2009
Whilst some here incessantly repeat discredited Orientalist views about early Islam and the Holy Prophet, Muhammad, pbuh - some non-Muslim scholars have gone beyond the hype, researched the facts and reached the the conclusion that there is a gulf between the 'Fox News' portrayal of Islam and reality.

Let's start with a conclusion that the Holy Prophet, pbuh, is the most influential man in history and the reasons why the author came to this conclusion:

(Highlighted portion is for eh - he believes in the quaint view that all Biblical experts are wrong when they say Paul is the main author of Pauline Christianity and that we should rather believe the Bible's version of history as accurate - when Biblical scholars all now agree that Pauline Christians inserted false verses into the bible)

Michael H. Hart, The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History

My choice of Muhammad to lead the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular levels. . .

. . . it may initially seem strange that Muhammad has been ranked higher than Jesus. There are two principal reasons for that decision. First, Muhammad played a far more important role to the development of Islam than Jesus did in the development of Christianity. Although Jesus was responsible for the main ethical and moral precepts of Christianity (insofar as these differed from Judaism), St. Paul was the main developer of Christian theology, its principal proselytizer, and the author of a large portion of the New Testament.

Muhammad, however, was responsible for both the theology of Islam and its main ethical and moral principles. In addition he played a key role in proselytizing the new faith, and in establishing the religious practices of Islam. Moreover, he is the author of the Moslem holy scriptures, the Koran. [The Quran, Muslims believe, is the revealed Word of God.]

Furthermore, Muhammad (unlike Jesus) was a secular leader as well as a religious leader. In fact as the driving force behind the Arab conquests, he may well rank as the most influential political leader of all time. . . [When Muhammad died in 632, he was the effective leader of all of southern Arabia. By 711, Arab armies had swept completely across North Africa to the Atlantic Ocean. In a scant century of fighting, the Bedouin tribesmen, inspired by the word of the Prophet, had carved out an empire stretching from the borders of India to the Atlantic Ocean -- the largest empire that the world had yet seen.]

. . the Arab conquests of the seventh century have continued to play an important role in human history, down to the present day. It is this unparalleled combination of secular and religious influence which I feel entitles Muhammad to be considered the most influential single figure in human history.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 10, 2009
Hey! It's good to see that you're back to your old form of mindless copy/pastes of any non-Muslim who writes something supposedly positive on Muhammad that can now by posted on a message board.

I was wondering how many Aisha comments it would finally take.

Meanwhile....

some non-Muslim scholars have gone beyond the hype

....earth to shafique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_H._Hart

Michael Hart isn't a scholar on anything closely resembling theology or history. He's an astrophysicist who moonlights as a historian, similar to another non-scholar, Karen Armstrong.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, yeah - Father O'Conner and Professor Hans Kung are less knowledgeable about the history of the NT than you are and anyone who disagrees with your view of Islamic history hasn't done the in-depth research you have done.

I'm just starting with Hart who clearly gives his reasons why Muhammad, pbuh, is ranked higher than Jesus, for example. It is interesting that you don't address the issues raised but rather choose to attack the person who wrote it.

I didn't expect you'd do otherwise.

But let me give you a chance to redeem yourself (I'm generous that way) - what in the above extract do you believe is wrong and where is your evidence to back up this belief of yours? For example, he clearly states that St Paul is the author of much of Pauline Christianity - this is in line with what Father O'Conner and Hans Kung have concluded - is Hart mistaken here when he echos what these Biblical scholars have concluded??

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 11, 2009
Do you want me to explain to you why the sky is green while I'm at it?

Just curious, or do you want to type out a few lengthy posts on topic you have no understanding of?
event horizon

Nov 11, 2009
It is interesting that you don't address the issues raised but rather choose to attack the person who wrote it.

What issues were raised? Did the author claim Muhammad, who had relations with a nine year old girl, was a moral man and a class act?

Don't think so.

Why don't you find some other article from the internet to copy/paste that actually addresses/covers up Muhammad's personal defects before you confuse 'influential' for 'ethical', 'moral' and 'upstanding' once again.
event horizon

Nov 11, 2009
I happen to believe in what I have quoted Hart as saying - unlike the people you have quoted, I agree with what he says fully and in full context.

You have had to dis-own what Hugh Kennedy says about early Muslim campaigns after quoting him selectively and drawing wrong conclusions about massacres.

You also quoted Hans Kung in favour of your view that the Bible contains no contradictions and was tampered with - but failed to notice that if you had continued reading, Kung disagrees with your view.

With Father O'Conner - you couldn't find a way to 'dis' the Biblical scholar who has studied and written books on Paul, so you just chose to ignore the fact he also concludes that Pauline Christians inserted misogynistic verses into the Bible.

All these guys agree with what Hart has written above - so, I ask again - what specifically don't you agree with the quote given and what are you basing this view on?

Simple question I would have thought.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 11, 2009
You also quoted Hans Kung in favour of your view that the Bible contains no contradictions and was tampered with - but failed to notice that if you had continued reading, Kung disagrees with your view.

Lie. I didn't quote Kung in favor of my view that the Bible didn't contain contradictions. I *quoted* Kung to explain the meaning of the greek word diakanos in the New Testament.

http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.ph ... ung#307792

It had nothing to do with contradictions. I can't tell if you're deliberately falsifying what was said (again) or if you're simply slow.

I think it's a combination of both but, for now, I'll just assume you're deliberately posting lies.

You have a pretty distorted perception of reality.

With Father O'Conner - you couldn't find a way to 'dis' the Biblical scholar who has studied and written books on Paul

There's nothing to 'dis'. I was the one who informed you that that passage in the New Testament is considered by some scholars to be an interpolation. This was way back when you did not know what an interpolation meant - just like you now don't know what the words scholar or contemporary mean.

All these guys agree with what Hart has written above

Sure they do.

Simple question I would have thought.

There's nothing to explain. You're simply too deluded to understand what someone writes and what you think they write. This thread is already proof of that.
event horizon

Nov 11, 2009
So we agree Kung and O'Conner disagree with you over your denial that misogynistic verses (contradictory ones) were inserted by Pauline Christians into the Bible.

Fair enough - it took some time, but good that you've now acknowledged this.

I'm still waiting to read what exactly you disagree in Hart's quote above - it doesn't appear to be the fact that St Paul is responsible for much of the Bible and Pauline Christian theology - so c'mon what don't you agree with and what is your 'belief' based on?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 11, 2009
I'm still waiting to read what exactly you disagree in Hart's quote above

I can't explain this to you anymore than I can explain to you why the sky is green. You're simply reading paragraphs and misunderstanding what is *actually* being written.

Just like your lie that I quoted Kung to address the contradictory passages in the NT.

But it's no surprise you haven't addressed that as well. Are you having trouble reading, or is it a distorted perception of reality with you?
event horizon

Nov 12, 2009
So you can't explain what you disagree in the quotation I gave.

I knew this would end up in another 'all mouth, no trousers' revelation.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 12, 2009
It should speak volumes you have not addressed your blatant lie.

Although I see you still want me to explain to you why the sky is green.

Let me know when you read a few books on primitive Christianity and get back to me.
event horizon

Nov 12, 2009
The question I asked was quite simple - what do you disagree with in the quote I gave from Hart in the first post.

I understand you want me to deal with Kung disagreeing with you about contradictions in the Bible - but there is a thread on that subject - 'Contradictions in the NT' - we can take that up there. In this thread it is relevant to the extent that Hart's quote agrees with what eminent Biblical scholars all conclude in relation to Pauline Christianity. Therefore, I presume you don't criticise Hart for stating this same view in support of his ranking.

It therefore must be something else he wrote that you disagree with.

Or (more likely) you didn't actually read what Hart wrote and just thought to try and discredit him because you cannot comprehend how someone could rank Muhammad, pbuh, above Jesus?

So, what do you disagree with Hart on - and what is this based on? My point (obviously) is that your Islamophobia is based on Orientalist fantasies which are not now shared by serious 21st century historians (or those who read 21st century historians).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 12, 2009
Why would you want to bring the issue of your claim up in another thread when you posted the lie in this thread? I provided the link for anyone to click on and read for themselves.

Didn't you claim that I had quoted Kung in support of the fact that the New Testament does not contain contradictions?

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion, especially when I clearly explained why I was quoting Kung to you on the other thread when I said:

Han Kung addresses the word 'diakanos' and so I'll type from his book, Women in Christianity:

Did you think that I couldn't easily find the post in question or does this stem from your own distorted perception of reality?

Anyways, I'll wait for your response in this thread since this is where you lied about what I had posted.

In this thread it is relevant to the extent that Hart's quote agrees with what eminent Biblical scholars all conclude in relation to Pauline Christianity.

Is it safe to say that when you mean all eminent Biblical scholars, you actually mean anyone you can find on trusty google?
event horizon

Nov 12, 2009
event horizon wrote:Why would you want to bring the issue of your claim up in another thread when you posted the lie in this thread[? I provided the link for anyone to click on and read for themselves.

Hart says something that Kung etc agree with and that you argue you know better - see the quote I highlighted about Pauline Christianity owing more to Paul than Jesus.

You quoted Kung to explain a Greek word and yet at the same time were arguing that the NT did not contain forged verses - I merely pointed out that had you carried on reading you would have found that Kung disagrees with your view that the NT does not contain contradictions or inserted verses.

That fact still remains, despite your bluster.

As does the question - what do you disagree with in Hart's quote given in the first post, and what are you basing your disagreement on?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 12, 2009
As for eminent scholars, I have merely quoted Father O'Conner who has written books about Paul and is an author of books on the Canon, and Professor Hans Kung, a scholar you chose to quote.

On the other hand, you have failed to produce one (yes one) scholar that agrees with your quaint view that the Bible contains no contradictions or that Pauline Christians did not insert polemical verses into the Bible.

But let us not get distracted from the fact you've been found out criticising Hart but appear to not have read what I quoted him as saying.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 12, 2009
Hart says something that Kung etc agree with and that you argue you know better - see the quote I highlighted about Pauline Christianity owing more to Paul than Jesus.

Must have missed this. But what comment from Kung shows that he agrees with what Hart wrote? I'll assume this comment can only be found in your imagination, just like your quaint belief that I had quoted Kung to address the consistency of the New Testament when I had clearly quoted Kung to address how the word diakanos is used in the New Testament.

I merely pointed out that had you carried on reading you would have found that Kung disagrees with your view that the NT does not contain contradictions or inserted verses.

Err. No, you didn't. You claimed that I had quoted Kung in regards to non existent contradictions in the New Testament.

Please don't compound one lie by making more up to explain your first one.

But let us not get distracted from the fact you've been found out criticising Hart but appear to not have read what I quoted him as saying.

My "criticism" of Hart was in regards to your claim that he was a 'scholar' on the topics he had written about - namely a historian/theologian. Since Hart does not describe himself as either a historian or theologian that I know of, I was simply correcting your habit of exaggerating certain factoids in your posts based on your distorted perception of reality.
event horizon

Nov 12, 2009
no contradictions or that Pauline Christians did not insert polemical verses into the Bible.

Your repeated use of the term of "Pauline Christian" simply reveals your ignorance on the topic you're pontificating on, once again.

You simply have no idea what you're pontificating on, just like your claim that Paul was the first to not require Gentiles to follow Jewish Law. It's so unbelievably ignorant that I can't address your posts which are chalk full of so many inaccuracies that you continue to regurgitate no matter how often you are told you *don't* know what you're talking about.

You're like a child who thinks he's smarter than the med students because they won't play operation with him.
event horizon

Nov 12, 2009
I see you are avoiding my simple question about what specifically you disagree with Hart's words in my first post.

Fair enough - you tend to over-react when I remind you that Biblical scholars also laugh at your assertion that the Bible contains no contradictions or that Pauline Christians did not insert verses into the Bible.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 13, 2009
Event horizon haven’t you fed up yet…noone really cares who pauline christans are or what they had done or what they had tought?

Some 1200 years before prophet jesus there was prophet moses with torah and some 600 years after prophet jesus there was the prophet mohammed with quran.
I am sure if muslims were allowed to tamper quran.., some 300 years after prophet mohammed there would have been an another religion revealed to restore it “by the same God”. But there is not and that itself is the reality and says a lot for someone who is comprehesive rather than political thinker..

So where is your arguments based on this line of chronological history of revelations?

The critical question is as I wrote before… Do you believe that there is only one creator and that, the same creator is the owner of the same message? Unlike humans God doesn’t keep changing his mind, he made up his mind of what he wanted from humans long before he created the souls…
Hence the same creator kept restoring when humans tampered with his will/message and spoiled it all…

I do agree that some of the verses of quran are very heavy on the souls of humans which was the very reason why both christians and jews distorted the same exact message.
We, believing muslims are happy with it all and don’t have the luxury to pick the verses we like and condemn the rest, as we are promised that the message is permenant to stay the same way.

Only the Creator has the authority to choose to dictate on us or to give permission to believers for certain applications to maintain the order and justice in the world amongst humans. This is why we are revealed and thought religion and this is why there is life after death and hell and heaven and that is why the world is a testing ground for humans.

Does that make sense to you? If not there is no more reason why you should escalate further spins to question and blame islam and muslim believers..
Islam is not revealed to be the possesion of muslims only. It is arrived for all human kind…
You like it or don’t like is up to you as long as you can bear your accountability in the hereafter.
It’s not muslims fault that they choose to believe the creator hence apply the quranic principles therefore your aguments cannot be with muslims but only with God “ the creator”..

And if your argument is with the creator than stop haggling and stay patient until you die, otherwise we can’t help you here… You understand that?
I am sure you read a lot of books but could you also please for once or twice try to read quran from the begining till the end without being bias.
Rudeboy gave a very good link with excellent commentary…how about starting from there….
Here…
http://www.islamicstudies.info/tafheem.php?sura=1
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Holy Prophet, pbuh - some modern views Dec 10, 2009
Whilst I don't agree with some of Muir's other interpretations about historical events -notably the 'satanic verses' incident, it is interesting to read what he concluded after studying the historical evidence about the Holy Prophet's, pbuh, character traits:

SIR WILLIAM MUIR
The following description of his person and character is taken from Sir William Muir (Life of Muhammad, pp. 510-13):

His form, though little above mean height, was stately and commanding. The depth of feeling in his dark black eyes, and the winning expression of a face otherwise attractive, gained the confidence and love of strangers, even at first sight. His features often unbended into a smile full of grace and condescension. He was, says an admiring follower, the handsomest and bravest, the brightest faced and most generous of men. It was as though the sunlight beamed in his countenance. His gait has been likened to that of one descending a hill rapidly. When he made haste, it was with difficulty that one kept pace with him. He never turned, even if his mantle caught in a thorny bush; so that his attendants talked and laughed freely behind him secure of being unobserved.

Thorough and complete in all his actions, he took in hand no work without bringing it to a close. The same habit pervaded his manner in social intercourse. If he turned in a conversation towards a friend, he turned not partially, but with his full face and his whole body. In shaking hands, he was not the first to withdraw his own; nor was he the first to break off in converse with a stranger, nor to turn away his ear. A patriarchal simplicity pervaded his life. His custom was to do everything for himself. If he gave an alms he would place it with his own hands in that of the petitioner. He aided his wives in their household duties, mended his clothes, tied up the goats, and even cobbled his sandals. His ordinary dress was of plain white cotton stuff, made like his neighbours'. He never reclined at meals. Muhammad, with his wives, lived, as we have seen, in a row of low and homely cottages built of unbaked bricks, the apartments separated by walls of palm branches rudely daubed with mud, while curtains of leather, or of black haircloth, supplied the place of doors and windows. He was to all of easy access even as the river's bank to him that draweth water from it. Embassies and deputations were received with the utmost courtesy and consideration. In the issue of rescripts bearing on their representations, or in other matters of state, Muhammad displayed all the qualifications of an able and experienced ruler. What renders this the more strange is that he was never known himself to write.

A remarkable feature was the urbanity and consideration with which Muhammad treated even the most insignificant of his followers. Modesty and kindliness, patience, self denial, and generosity, pervaded his conduct, and riveted the affections of all around him. He disliked to say No. If unable to answer a petitioner in the affirmative, he preferred silence. He was not known ever to refuse an invitation to the house even of the meanest, nor to decline a proffered present however small. He possessed the rare faculty of making each individual in a company think that he was the favoured guest. If he met anyone rejoicing at success he would seize him eagerly and cordially by the hand. With the bereaved and afflicted he sympathised tenderly. Gentle and unbending towards little children, he would not disdain to accost a group of them at play with the salutation of peace. He shared his food, even in times of scarcity, with others, and was sedulously solicitous for the personal comfort of everyone about him. A kindly and benevolent disposition pervaded all those illustrations of his character. Muhammad was a faithful friend. He loved Abu Bakr with the close affection of a brother; Ali, with the fond partiality of a father. Zaid, the freedman, was so strongly attached by the kindness of the Prophet, that he preferred to remain at Makkah rather than return home with his own father. 'I will not leave thee,' he said, clinging to his patron, 'for thou hast been a father and mother to me.' The friendship of Muhammad survived the death of Zaid, and his son Usama was treated by him with distinguished favour for the father's sake. Uthman and Umar were also the objects of a special attachment; and the enthusiasm with which, at Hudaibiyya, the Prophet entered into the Pledge of the Tree and swore that he would defend his beleaguered son in law even to the death, was a signal proof of faithful friendship. Numerous other instances of Muhammad's ardent and unwavering regard might be adduced. His affections were in no instance misplaced; they were ever reciprocated by a warm and self sacrificing love.

In the exercise of a power absolutely dictatorial, Muhammad was just and temperate. Nor was he wanting in moderation towards his enemies, when once they had cheerfully submitted to his claims. The long and obstinate struggle against his pretentions maintained by the inhabitants of Makkah might have induced its conqueror to mark his indignation in indelible traces of fire and blood. But Muhammad, excepting a few criminals, granted a universal pardon; and, nobly casting into oblivion the memory of the past, with all its mockery, its affronts and persecution, he treated even the foremost of his opponents with a gracious and even friendly consideration. Not less marked was the forbearance shown to Abdullah and the disaffected citizens of Madinah, who for so many years persistently thwarted his designs and resisted his authority, nor the clemency with which he received submiss ive advances of tribes that before had been the most hostile, even in the hour of victory.

Again he wrote:

It is strongly corroborative of Muhammad's sincerity that the earliest converts to Islam were not only of upright character, but his own bosom friends and people of his own household who, intimately acquainted with his private life could not fail otherwise to have detected those discrepancies which even more or less exist between the profession of the hypocritical deceiver abroad and his actions at home".

Let me summarise the last paragraph for eh - it is saying that his companions were of upright character and would have testified that he was a hypocrite (acted differently from what he preached). I.e. He was not a hypocrite.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

:D

I can't imagine that this copy/paste was brought on from the ahadith and Koranic verses I posted.

Nope, that couldn't be it.

Anyways, let me know what you think of Muhammad's command to expel unbelievers from Arabia?

(I'm sure you'll perform some pretty impressive mental gymnastics to explain Muhammad's desire for ethnic cleansing)

I'll post it again so you don't have to search for it:

Narrated Said bin Jubair: Ibn 'Abbas said, "Thursday! What (great thing) took place on Thursday!" Then he started weeping till his tears wetted the gravels of the ground . Then he said, "On Thursday the illness of Allah's Apostle was aggravated and he said, "Fetch me writing materials so that I may have something written to you after which you will never go astray." The people (present there) differed in this matter and people should not differ before a prophet. They said, "Allah's Apostle is seriously sick.' The Prophet said, "Let me alone, as the state in which I am now, is better than what you are calling me for." The Prophet on his death-bed, gave three orders saying, "Expel the pagans from the Arabian Peninsula, respect and give gifts to the foreign delegates as you have seen me dealing with them." I forgot the third (order)" (Ya'qub bin Muhammad said, "I asked Al-Mughira bin 'Abdur-Rahman about the Arabian Peninsula and he said, 'It comprises Mecca, Medina, Al-Yama-ma and Yemen." Ya'qub added, "And Al-Arj, the beginning of Tihama.") - Sahih Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 288

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ismail ibn Abi Hakim that he heard Umar ibn Abd al-Aziz say, "One of the last things that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said was, 'May Allah fight the jews and the christians. They took the graves of their Prophets as places of prostration . Two deens shall not co-exist in the land of the Arabs.' " - Malik's Muwatta, Book 45, Number 45.5.17

Yahya related to me from Malik from Ibn Shihab that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Two deens shall not co-exist in the Arabian Peninsula."

Malik said that Ibn Shihab said, ''Umar ibn al-Khattab searched for information about that until he was absolutely convinced that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, had said, 'Two deens shall not co-exist in the Arabian Peninsula,' and he therefore expelled the jews from Khaybar." - Malik's Muwatta, Book 45, Number 45.5.18

Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: people of two different religions would not inherit from one another. - Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 18, Number 2905

It has been narrated by 'Umar b. al-Khattib that he heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say: I will expel the Jews and Christians from the Arabian Peninsula and will not leave any but Muslim. - Sahih Muslim, Book 019, Number 4366

And what the Koran says:

Koran 9:17-18 It is not for the idolaters to inhabit God's places of worship, witnessing against themselves unbelief; those -- their works have failed them, and in the Fire they shall dwell forever.

Only he shall inhabit God's places of worship who believes in God and the Last Day, and performs the prayer, and pays the alms, and fears none but God alone; it may be that those will be among the guided.
event horizon

Ahh, another attempt to dismiss the considered opinions of people (well, scholars actually) who actually read through references rather than cut and paste them without reading/understanding.

Interesting that.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Ahh, another attempt to dismiss the considered opinions of people (well, scholars actually) who actually read through references rather than cut and paste them without reading/understanding.

Interesting that.

Cheers,
Shafique

Good point - I agree with Muir's analysis of the Satanic verses - that Muhammad was possessed by the devil and he accidentally claimed some goddesses were on par with Allah.

After all, the Koran does not say other gods do not exist, it just says not to worship other gods.

Please let me know if you have any more good points to bring up.
event horizon

Cool - I was half expecting you to argue you know better than Muir.

Muir describes the Satanic verses incident and gives his view. I happen to think his interpretation of the incident there is wrong - you may not. He also gives his considered conclusions on the character of Muhammad, pbuh, which I've quoted above.

I fully expect you haven't read what was posted there - but hey, I understand you don't want to let facts get in the way of your beliefs. At least I read Muirs views on the Satanic Verses incident and read what he based it on - I'm not sure you've read what Muir concludes above.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Holy Prophet, pbuh - some modern views Dec 11, 2009
A good article by a non-Muslim professor:

http://www.themodernreligion.com/prophe ... t-rao.html

Even a hostile critic like Sir William Muir speaking about the Holy Quran says that, "There is probably in the world no other book which has remained twelve centuries with so pure text." ...

My work today is further lightened because those days are fast disappearing when Islam was highly misrepresented by some of its critics for reasons political and otherwise. Professor Bevan writes in Cambridge Medieval History, "Those accounts of Mohammad and Islam which were published in Europe before the beginning of 19th century are now to be regarded as literary curiosities." My problem to write this monograph is easier because we are now generally not fed on this kind of history and much time need not be spent on pointing out our misrepresentation of Islam.

(Take note eh - your reference texts and views are supposed to be 'fast disappearing')

The theory of Islam and the Sword for instance is not heard now frequently in any quarter worth the name. The principle of Islam that there is no compulsion in religion is well known. Gibbon, a historian of world repute says, "A pernicious tenet has been imputed to Mohammedans, the duty of extirpating all the religions by sword". This charge based on ignorance and bigotry, says the eminent historian, is refuted by Quran, by history of Musalman conquerors and by their public and legal toleration of Christian worship. The great success of Mohammad's life had been effected by sheer moral force, without a stroke of the sword.

...This is the reason why Goethe, the greatest of German poets, speaking about the Holy Quran declared that, "This book will go on exercising through all ages a most potent influence." This is also the reason why George Bernard Shaw says, "If any religion has a chance or ruling over England, say, Europe, within the next 100 years, it is Islam".

It is this same democratic spirit of Islam that emancipated women from the bondage of man. Sir Charles Edward Archibald Hamilton says "Islam teaches the inherent sinlessness of man. It teaches that man and woman and woman have come from the same essence, posses the same soul and have been equipped with equal capabilities for intellectual, spiritual and moral attainments."

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The quote attributed to George Bernard Shaw is a fake one.

That's been covered on this very forum:

philosophy-dubai/george-bernard-shaw-and-islam-t37058.html

But hey, why let facts get in the way of a good copy/paste?

Perhaps next time you'll actually do some *real* research? Naw, you'll still revert to form and consult professor google for all of your quaint beliefs.

Next.
event horizon

Here's what speedbump wrote:

The quote is used often by Muslims today to act as some kind of burning torch to hold up and prove that a clever and thoughtful Westerner believed in Islam conquering the West, whereas GBS was in fact a true atheist (like many intelligent people).

Pretend quotes from current Western film/media personalities are sometimes posted by people like British Arab on these forums, and are also very widely circulated and re-circulated on anti-Western Islamic websites. A form of aprocryphal story (meaning they are generally pure invention but handed around and taken as truth by being told so many time). These stories are well received in the Muslim world where many people are not able, or possibly just not inclined, to research actual English language publications to check if they are true.

Oh well, at least you managed to fool him that you were intelligent.
event horizon

Thanks - you give me the opportunity to quote Shaw in full - the quote Rao refers to appeared in a 'quote box' in the publication which published the interview (from which the full quote is taken below):

I have always held the religion of Muhammad in high estimation because of its wonderful vitality. It is the only religion which appears to me to possess that assimilating capability to the changing phase of existence which can make itself appeal to every age. The world must doubtless attach high value to the predictions of great men like me. I have prophesied about the faith of Muhammad that it would be acceptable to the Europe of tomorrow as it is beginning to be acceptable to the Europe of today. The medieval ecclesiastics, either through ignorance or bigotry, painted Muhammadanism in the darkest colours. They were in fact trained both to hate the man Muhammad and his religion. To them Muhammad was Anti-Christ. I have studied him — the wonderful man, and in my opinion far from being an Anti-Christ he must be called the Saviour of Humanity. I believe that if a man like him were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world he would succeed in solving its problems in a way that would bring it the much-needed peace and happiness. But to proceed, it was in the 19th century that honest thinkers like Carlyle, Goethe and Gibbon perceived intrinsic worth in the religion of Muhammad, and thus there was some change for the better in the European attitude towards Islam. But the Europe of the present century is far advanced. It is beginning to be enamoured of the creed of Muhammad.
Interview, (April 1935), as quoted in The Genuine Islam, Vol. 1 (January 1936),

(In my previous post, I was just quoting what the good professor wrote).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

It is worth breaking down Shaw's statement (and showing why the 'headline writer' chose to summarise Shaw's words in the quote box (as quoted by Rao above)

Let's see:

I have always held the religion of Muhammad in high estimation because of its wonderful vitality. It is the only religion which appears to me to possess that assimilating capability to the changing phase of existence which can make itself appeal to every age. The world must doubtless attach high value to the predictions of great men like me. I have prophesied about the faith of Muhammad that it would be acceptable to the Europe of tomorrow as it is beginning to be acceptable to the Europe of today.

Shaw thinks Islam has 'wonderful vitality' and holds it in high regard.

He predicts that Islam will be accepted by Europeans in the future - as it was starting to be accepted at the time of the interview. (And he 'bigs up' himself by saying that the 'world' values predictions by men like himself!! ;) )

The medieval ecclesiastics, either through ignorance or bigotry, painted Muhammadanism in the darkest colours. They were in fact trained both to hate the man Muhammad and his religion.

Does this sound familar to you?

To them Muhammad was Anti-Christ. I have studied him — the wonderful man, and in my opinion far from being an Anti-Christ he must be called the Saviour of Humanity. I believe that if a man like him were to assume the dictatorship of the modern world he would succeed in solving its problems in a way that would bring it the much-needed peace and happiness.

Sounds like he knows what he is saying!

But to proceed, it was in the 19th century that honest thinkers like Carlyle, Goethe and Gibbon perceived intrinsic worth in the religion of Muhammad, and thus there was some change for the better in the European attitude towards Islam. But the Europe of the present century is far advanced. It is beginning to be enamoured of the creed of Muhammad.
Interview, (April 1935), as quoted in The Genuine Islam, Vol. 1 (January 1936),

He reiterates the previous point about Islam starting to be accepted.

Cheers,
Shafique
(In my previous post, I was just quoting what the good professor wrote).

Cheers,
Shafique[/quote]
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Thanks for posting yet another quote. Perhaps you missed what speedbump wrote on Muslims who brandy quotes about?

I speaks volumes that you aren't the least concerned of copy/pasting fabricated quotes from 'professors'.

But hey, why would that concern you? You're not actually interested in facts, just nice articles you can find on Muhammad and maybe a few non-Muslims who would be impressed by some quotes.

Hey, if I was looking for converts, I would probably try another route, but roping in the gullible could explain why so many converts to Islam have gone on to become terrorists and a few have managed to blow themselves up.
event horizon

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums