Office Romance

Topic locked
office romance Sep 29, 2007
Recently I joined this wonderful company.... I can say it's the job of my dreams
Ok, here it's this guy.... whenever I see him, I feel I can't breathe :D He IS giving me "that look", no doubt about that, he is flirting somehow; I am not paranoic, I see it in his eyes & smile; we spoke only once, when we were introduced, but as we have no common projects, we don't have a reason to interact.
I didn't make friends in the company yet, so there's no one I could ask more about him...
Now, in my contract they don't say anything about office romances :D , but how is that generally perceived here in Dubai? (I have been quite long time here but never been in this situation) If my job would be at risk, definitely i will say "pass", but... if not, I would try. Or I should better say , I would be willing to look into the possibility if he tries :wink:
Do you think he will try??

Julienne
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 29, 2007
The bosses don't care as long as you bring in the dough.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 29, 2007
My Advice would be ...

Don't bring personal things or feelings into Professional Life

Cheers!!!
abdulnafees
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 29, 2007
I wouldn't be comfortable myself with mixing career & romance, but, as I said, we have a common employer but we are not in the same chain of command; I am running a department and he is running another department , and our departments have nothing in common :?
Julienne
Dubai Forum Guest

Sep 29, 2007
Just in general, if you are both either at a similar level in the company and/or functionally unrelated then no one should care. Though if something did develop I don't think either would walk around the office making it obvious.

Work is work. What you do outside of work, with people from the company or not, is not of any concern to the employer as long as you do your job.
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 29, 2007
There is some crazy statistic in North Western Europe, that something like 70% of married couples actually met in their place of work! Now that sounds ridiculous I suppose, but it explains everything I've always said about those of you who work in the construction industry.
mbwa shenzi
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 30, 2007
only a twisted mind would mix the two..... although on the office desk would be a kinky place to get jiggy wit it :twisted:
olivertwisted
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 01, 2007
Nice thread!
Ages ago, in my previous life i met a girl when she joined my former Co........ a month later we were a couple, a year later we shared an appartment and finally we married :D AND we are still married

This never happend to me before, but it was pretty much the same what happend to you.
It was the very first moment when she was introduced to my and she used to work for me not directly but i was responsible for the entire group.
Even so we had a 24 hr day it was fine, not always but 95.98% of the time. (the rest percentage was not her fault :oops:

Unfortunatly she is still at home and will stay there due to various reasons but we are still very close together and the distance now makes makes no difference.... well... :wink:

Enjoy and just let it happen..... whatever happens 8)
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 01, 2007
Pay attention to running your department efficiently and not the viability of having office romance, unless you want to be the center of all gossips in the office.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 01, 2007
this will be the minimum requirement, show them, whatever happens to you guys THAT even so it will work or even due to this,even better

good luck :wink:
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 01, 2007
It usually means termination for one or the other, since how many office romances work out? When they turn sour, man... to have to deal with an ex- at each stage of the break up thing and the follow on "healing" time... man... not worth it to me, and I'd end up leaving the job for something else. If it's just a "****" buddy and it is a mutual thing and noboby's gonna be hurt by it (meaning, not married or spoken for; can keep your feelings to just lust) and it's expressed that each will mutually scratch the itch that can't be scratched by oneself (well, I guess you could, but it's not the same), well, it's "GREEN LIGHT"!
180SX_Faktory
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 02, 2007
challenging but workable :) good luck to the both of you
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
I know many people who got married thru office romance. Heck, if I ever joined the corporate life, that'd be one of the reasons.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 04, 2007
It's certainly a big risk. If it works out, great, if it doesnt then things can go seriously wrong if you work together (Im speaking from experience).

As far as doing it in Dubai is concerned I dont think they would care. Dating isnt a done thing over here, but they pretty much accept that us non-muslims do it.
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 04, 2007
[quote="Craigo"]It's certainly a big risk. If it works out, great, if it doesnt then things can go seriously wrong if you work together (Im speaking from experience).
quote]

Yeah, me too. But not quite the same thing... she was an US Air Force Captain and I was a US Navy Lieutenant Commander. She was just a drop dead gorgeous Jordanian-German I met on a stop-over while ferrying a jet back to Japan. Hit off so well... she was like a carbon copy of me and was even born four days before I was (not year-wise, but month-wise). She got stationed in Yokota and I was in Atsugi (both places in Japan) so we could be closer to each other. Make a long story short, it went downhill quickly. Her designator was Military Police (yeah, kinda kinky, right?) and she just made life hell for me. As a pilot and a dept head, that stuff was a red light and I had to explain stuff that just didn't happen yet she was dreaming stuff up and notifying my command. Eventhough the Skipper was nice about it and all, I think it kinda tarnished me.

Moral of the story- don't go fishing off the company pier (don't date within the company; it's like dating your brother or sister in a weird way) or try to make a relationship with someone who has the power to really make your life miserable.
180SX_Faktory
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 05, 2007
Craigo wrote:It's certainly a big risk. If it works out, great, if it doesnt then things can go seriously wrong if you work together (Im speaking from experience).

As far as doing it in Dubai is concerned I dont think they would care. ]
Dating isnt a done thing over here, but they pretty much accept that us non-muslims do it.[/quote

we are both moslems, i am a european & he is a lebanese
Julienne
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 05, 2008
better go and hv fun wid him tht will close the topic and tension of ur entire feelings...did u get me naa
rana79
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 09, 2008
No Office Employee Handbook should stand in the way of true love.. :) ..
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jan 10, 2008
both muslims.....European and Lebanese?! ahahah...wooohoo..

Worst combination ever :)

Enjoy the ride...then get of the bus before it flies over maktoum bridge :D
guest999

Jan 12, 2008
Enjoy the romance; just make sure u have the upperhand if things go south.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 14, 2008
Construction industry is dry its just a sausage fest, in my office which is fair large with over 100 employees there is about 8 females, its pretty funny when i go into the toilet all these guys are just touching up their hair, experimenting with their best pose basically all they can do too bag that one single lady.
adilee
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance