Female-to-male Ratio In Dubai Re Western Expats?

Topic locked
female-to-male ratio in Dubai re western expats? Oct 30, 2006
Hi,

I suppose that's the right forum to post this question - it's kinda romance related :D

This we I discussed the demographics of Dubai with a friend of mine (regarding western expats between 20 and 35):

He stated that the femal to male ratio must be 2:1, since many Western expat girls are working here in the service industry (mainly tourism), from my experience however, the ratio is 1:1 at best (or all girls -apart from the ones from Eastern Europe- are hiding as soon as I arrive... :lol: )

What's your bet?

Looking forward to your answers!

Globetrotter
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 31, 2006
C'mon, please give me some estimates.
Globetrotter
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 31, 2006
girls 5 - guys 1...if we also count the working girls..if u know what i mean :P
Legendkiller
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 31, 2006
:lol: ... I know what you mean dude ...

What do you think is the ratio re "normal" western girls vs. western guys?
Globetrotter
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 01, 2006
A little bit of maths might be useful here.

Total Population Dubai: 1.3 million
Femal population: 330,000

Ethnic groups: from CIA world factbook

Emirati 19%, other Arab and Iranian 23%, South Asian 50%, other expatriates (includes Westerners and East Asians) 8% (1982)

OK 1.3 million x 8% = 104,000
Females are about 27% of population so 104,000 x 27% = 28,000

so 4:1
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 01, 2006
oops double post
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 01, 2006
scarlet wrote:A little bit of maths might be useful here.

Total Population Dubai: 1.3 million
Femal population: 330,000

Ethnic groups: from CIA world factbook

Emirati 19%, other Arab and Iranian 23%, South Asian 50%, other expatriates (includes Westerners and East Asians) 8% (1982)

OK 1.3 million x 8% = 104,000
Females are about 27% of population so 104,000 x 27% = 28,000

so 4:1

nicely done scarlet...

hmmm and in my words "it's a suasage fest here folks".... :wink:
constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 01, 2006
Yup, quite a lot of desperate Rtards in Dubai.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 01, 2006
Thanks for the replies. However, I know the figures from CIA factbook, which are from 1982 by the way.

The question is not about the female to male ratio in general, but concerning WESTERN EXPATS in the age range between 20 and 35.

Since CIA obviously included the workforce from India & Pakistan as well (a huge majority of whom is clearly male), the CIA figures do not provide the statistics to answer our question.

I appreciate your efforts though, Scarlet!

What are your "clubbing" observations on that matter?
Globetrotter
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 02, 2006
OK another more recent site i found said the workforce has only 8% ladies - which I ignored because one would assume that there is more ladies in western workforce. AND Wikipedia says there are 100,000 western expats here as well.

Also you must assume that the majority of expats are between 20-35 (see age thread poll on this forum)

Now from a clubbing perspective - it ranges between 5-1 and 8-1 men to ladies (in the non hooker bars)
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 02, 2006
Here is population by gender and age for the emirate of dubai

http://vgn.dm.gov.ae/DMEGOV/OSI/webrepo ... S02-04.pdf
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 02, 2006
Globetrotter wrote:Since CIA obviously included the workforce from India & Pakistan as well (a huge majority of whom is clearly male), the CIA figures do not provide the statistics to answer our question.

Hey, these people need love too!
^ian^

Nov 02, 2006
globe trooter the 50% soth asian is indian and pakistani
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 03, 2006
This thread has made me wonder if the results of census 2005 were ever released to the public ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 03, 2006
*DELETE*
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 03, 2006
No, the census results were never made public. However they were used to discover who was sharing in villas an apartments. The Municipality then swooped and evicted many singles and batchelors out of shared accommodation in places like Jumeirah and Umm Suqiem as they are for 'Families' only.

The reality of the statistics do not account for the demographics of the population. Many females are Philipinas working in the hospitality, hotel and retail industries, maids & nannies etc. Many males are Indian, working in the construction industry. Take these out of the equasion and the ratio is probably nearer 5:1 male to female.

That would be a 'Beef sausage' fest...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 03, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:No, the census results were never made public. However they were used to discover who was sharing in villas an apartments. The Municipality then swooped and evicted many singles and batchelors out of shared accommodation in places like Jumeirah and Umm Suqiem as they are for 'Families' only.

The reality of the statistics do not account for the demographics of the population. Many females are Philipinas working in the hospitality, hotel and retail industries, maids & nannies etc. Many males are Indian, working in the construction industry. Take these out of the equasion and the ratio is probably nearer 5:1 male to female.

Knight

Well at Fibbers last night there were about 100 guys and 3 females.

Still, that's the kind of place it is I suppose.
^ian^

Nov 03, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:No, the census results were never made public. However they were used to discover who was sharing in villas an apartments. The Municipality then swooped and evicted many singles and batchelors out of shared accommodation in places like Jumeirah and Umm Suqiem as they are for 'Families' only.

Knight

The subject line is "female to male ratio western expats". huh! :?
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 04, 2006
True...missed that!

OK, so there may be more female 'Western' expats here, but there is a much higher proportion of Arab, Levant and North African male expats here than western male expats...makes it harder for the western guys to compete without a Karama fake Armani suit, stupid pointy shoes, a hair style with more Brylcream than a 1960's holiday camp and a flash Merc bought on 5 maxed out credit cards...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 04, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:True...missed that!

OK, so there may be more female 'Western' expats here, but there is a much higher proportion of Arab, Levant and North African male expats here than western male expats...makes it harder for the western guys to compete without a Karama fake Armani suit, stupid pointy shoes, a hair style with more Brylcream than a 1960's holiday camp and a flash Merc bought on 5 maxed out credit cards...

Knight

Dk, it is ok to assumed that whenever i see men wearing Karama fake Armani suit, stupid pointy shoes, a hair style with more Brylcream than a 1960's holiday camp and a flash Merc bought on 5 maxed out credit cards... they're arabs and that makes it difficult for western guys to compete with them because of the above reasons. :wink: tell me please..
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 04, 2006
asc_26 wrote:

Knight

Dk, it is ok to assumed that whenever i see men wearing Karama fake Armani suit, stupid pointy shoes, a hair style with more Brylcream than a 1960's holiday camp and a flash Merc bought on 5 maxed out credit cards... they're arabs and that makes it difficult for western guys to compete with them because of the above reasons. :wink: tell me please..

You'll notice I included expat Arab, LEVANT and NORTH AFRICAN in that...

...and yes it's difficult to compete becuase a lot of girls just look at the bling and think the guy is really rich. I saw a 'guy of Levantine origin' in a club order a magnum of champagne (on a credit card) to impress a group of western girls, which it did as one of them went home with him, and 2 days later I saw him again...he served me a pair of shoes in Massimo Dutti!

A lot of girls love it and fall for the bullshit, then complain when they find out the berk is broke and lives in a shared bedsit in Karama! If a girl was to look further than the slime ball with the champagne bottle, then they might see the genuine guy sitting at the bar talking about something important with a mate. Thats where the real men are...and it won't be in Boudoir!

:x :x :x

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 04, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
asc_26 wrote:

Knight

...and yes it's difficult to compete becuase a lot of girls just look at the bling and think the guy is really rich. I saw a 'guy of Levantine origin' in a club order a magnum of champagne (on a credit card) to impress a group of western girls, which it did as one of them went home with him, and 2 days later I saw him again...he served me a pair of shoes in Massimo Dutti!

A lot of girls love it and fall for the bullshit, then complain when they find out the berk is broke and lives in a shared bedsit in Karama! If a girl was to look further than the slime ball with the champagne bottle, then they might see the genuine guy sitting at the bar talking about something important with a mate. Thats where the real men are...and it won't be in Boudoir!

Knight

hahahahaha ... i feel u knight .. those words straight from the heart huh ...

but u shouldnt hate on em nigga's who get there tiger like that .. they just playing wat theyve been dealt .. and if they do get the tiger .. then theyve played the game well enough ...

so stop hatin .. start participatin

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dubai Knight wrote:he served me a pair of shoes in Massimo Dutti!
Jamal
Mr. DubaiForums 2006

Nov 04, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
asc_26 wrote:

Knight

Knight

Well, i got this impression that you're competing for western cheap girls. ehh.. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Re: female-to-male ratio in Dubai re western expats? Nov 04, 2006
Globetrotter wrote:Hi,

I suppose that's the right forum to post this question - it's kinda romance related :D

This we I discussed the demographics of Dubai with a friend of mine (regarding western expats between 20 and 35):

He stated that the femal to male ratio must be 2:1, since many Western expat girls are working here in the service industry (mainly tourism), from my experience however, the ratio is 1:1 at best (or all girls -apart from the ones from Eastern Europe- are hiding as soon as I arrive... :lol: )

What's your bet?

Looking forward to your answers!

I know you are not satisfied with our answers. Simple question is still left unanswered. :(
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 04, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
lot of girls just look at the bling and think the guy is really rich. I saw a 'guy of Levantine origin' in a club order a magnum of champagne (on a credit card) to impress a group of western girls, which it did as one of them went home with him, and 2 days later I saw him again...he served me a pair of shoes in Massimo Dutti!

Knight

DK which corner do you sit at discussing important topic with a mate :wink:
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 05, 2006
sara_uk wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:
lot of girls just look at the bling and think the guy is really rich. I saw a 'guy of Levantine origin' in a club order a magnum of champagne (on a credit card) to impress a group of western girls, which it did as one of them went home with him, and 2 days later I saw him again...he served me a pair of shoes in Massimo Dutti!

Knight

DK which corner do you sit at discussing important topic with a mate :wink:

I can be found in any of the non pretentious, sophisticated, genuine places in town. You will not find me in the corner either, as any of the DF members who know me will confirm!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 05, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:I can be found in any of the non pretentious, sophisticated, genuine places in town. You will not find me in the corner either, as any of the DF members who know me will confirm!

It's fair to say that on the town, DK attracts plenty of attention from the fairer sex. Yes, they're all bar maids and yes, the attention is asking if he wants another pint of Guinness, but who are we to judge :D :D :D

But in all seriousness I am with DK on this point. I don't get the whole pretention thing, with a certain profile of person trying to be someone they're not. Surely even the most naive female could see through this and know what's going on.

But then you know, some women don't want any more than that.
^ian^

Nov 05, 2006
^ian^ wrote:
But in all seriousness I am with DK on this point. I don't get the whole pretention thing, with a certain profile of person trying to be someone they're not. Surely even the most naive female could see through this and know what's going on.

But then they moan and complain about all men here being bastards...and the genuine guys get tarred with the same brush. A genuine bloke does not need to impress a girl with a bottle of fizzy wine, or the logo on the key that is left openly on the table (love that: Cadillac Escalade key fob...Camry in the car park!) but will probably ask more questions than he answers, will be interested in what a girl has to say and will probably be looking at her eyes, not her rack!

Unless they are particularly fine of course!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Nov 05, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:But then they moan and complain about all men here being bastards...and the genuine guys get tarred with the same brush.

Yes that is true to a large extent, but the male species as a whole has created this situation throughout the years.

That and I blame Hollywood. Every woman is looking for the kind of relationship and the kind of love they read about in books and see in the movies.

Real love and real relationships are sadly a lot messier, and I'm not sure Dubai has the right elements for real love to form, and it takes a lot of work for real love to survive.

A genuine bloke does not need to impress a girl with a bottle of fizzy wine, or the logo on the key that is left openly on the table (love that: Cadillac Escalade key fob...Camry in the car park!) but will probably ask more questions than he answers, will be interested in what a girl has to say and will probably be looking at her eyes, not her rack!

But a genuine bloke should not be lazy in love. Relationships take some work to make them stay together, and I myself have been lazy in love at times. No, you shouldn't buy expensive bottles of champagne or try and impress with flash cars... this is simply unsustainable and you have to ask serious questions about a girl that wants this lifestyle all the time.

But a nice dinner every now and then, flowers, and a trip away somewhere are things that should be done on a regular basis.

Hard to do when you just meet a girl, but the genuine ones aren't fooled by the posers of the world, they've possibly seen it all before and have had to contend with the Camry shock.

You can't blame a girl for being wooed liked this though, that is what Hollywoods prescribes. i.e. Pretty Woman, you know the billionaire guy swoops the pretty but down on her luck girl off her feet?

The reality of the situation can be a hard pill to swallow if you've been brought up on a diet of Romantic Comedies.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Of course!
^ian^

Nov 05, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

But then they moan and complain about all men here being bastards...and the genuine guys get tarred with the same brush. A genuine bloke does not need to impress a girl with a bottle of fizzy wine, or the logo on the key that is left openly on the table (love that: Cadillac Escalade key fob...Camry in the car park!) but will probably ask more questions than he answers, will be interested in what a girl has to say and will probably be looking at her eyes, not her rack!

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Bold letters above are very true, I agree with you. And genuine lady will not be impressed with what guys put openly on the table. :wink: So DK no need for you to compete with the guys you mentioned above. Do you think its worth it? :wink: :lol: Character is more important.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance