Women Barred From Economic Conference

Topic locked
Women barred from Economic Conference Jul 14, 2011
Worrying signs of intolerance at a recent conference. :shock:

Fortunately in the Middle East this is not a normal occurence - women are generally allowed to attend such events. Saudi Arabia is a repressive state when it comes to women's rights, but elsewhere in the region women are seen (veiled or unveiled) and participate in society.

Again, let's hope that the voices of reason speaking out against these actions by the ultra-religious gain the upper hand:

Ultra-Orthodox bar women from major Jerusalem economic conference

Hamodia's Management Forum is attended by leading Israeli companies and politicians including Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz.

The exclusion of women from this economic conference is another step on the path to destroying Israel's liberal democracy. It is yet another indicator of the dangerous escalation of the ultra-Orthodox endorsement of a sexist and racist agenda, which has been yet again demonstrated in the refusal to let police investigate rabbis suspected of incitement to racial hatred. The exclusion of women from full participation in public spaces is anathema to the concept of democratic representation.

http://english.themarker.com/ultra-orth ... e-1.372945

Shocking stuff.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Women barred from Economic Conference Jul 14, 2011
Al Shafique as a fundamentalist mahommedan promotting sharia and justifying bad treatments by islam to women YOU ARE THE LAST ONE HERE ENTITLED TO BE SCHOCKED.
I dont know what you think you are achieving, but I guarantee you that if someone was sympathetic to islam, after reading your posts and your crooked way of presenting things he turns away for good.
However your posts amuse me because you give us, EH, Dillon, FD, BM, myself and so many others the opportunity to quick your A$$ and pass OUR message.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Well I suppose it's different than excluding them because they are having their periods.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

I fail to see what this exclusion has to with Islam.

herve - I think you meant to say 'kick' not 'quick' - better change it quick before spellcheckgirl makes an appearance. :D

Thanks for sharing your views though herve - nice to see you are consistent in your hatred. Some other community excludes women, and you turn on the Muslims. :roll:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I would like to see evidence that this is more oppressive than girls who don't want to take part in PE.
event horizon

For those who sat at the back of the classroom, here's an easy spot the difference:

(Hint, one of them is of the conference that excludes women, the other is of a mixed, but segregated religious service).

:D

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Women Barred From Economic Conference Jul 14, 2011
ALL major world religions subjugate women. Ultra Orthodox Jews barring women from a conference doesn't negate the fact that Islam subjugates women. You may present it as a case of the lesser of the two evils, but we're still talking evil here. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

(Hint, one of them is of the conference that excludes women, the other is of a mixed, but segregated religious service).

Actually, the prayer portion of the service did exclude menstruating girls and 'mixed, but segregated' is a contradiction in terms.
event horizon

kanelli wrote:ALL major world religions subjugate women. Ultra Orthodox Jews barring women from a conference doesn't negate the fact that Islam subjugates women. You may present it as a case of the lesser of the two evils, but we're still talking evil here. :)

I do believe I didn't mention Islam in my OP - but did refer to a repressive state that does subjugate women.

As it happens, I think that Saudi repression is worse than that in Israel - at least in Israel it is the Ultra Orthodox only who don't want to mix with any women, and the majority of Israelis don't agree with this (and their racist views as well, as the bit I quoted made clear).

I do hope that the kids in Canada know the difference between being excluded from an event and attending an event where men and women sit separately. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Why should men and women sit seperately anywhere? We are not second class citizens, we are women.
Bethsmum

shafique wrote:I do hope that the kids in Canada know the difference between being excluded from an event and attending an event where men and women sit separately. ;)

kanelli wrote:.... You may present it as a case of the lesser of the two evils, but we're still talking evil here. :)

"Now you ladies should be thankful we are JUST making you sit separately and not barring you completely! Its for your own good, and God wouldn't want you to complain!" :wink:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

:D

It's a matter of perspective I guess:

"You men can't be trusted, so you must sit separately - let the women ogle you, but not the other way round!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Except the women can't ogle because there is a physical barrier between?

Claiming that men are weak are unable to control themselves give a nice excuse for poor behaviour that can then be blamed on the women for "provoking" them. The guys have it good!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:Claiming that men are weak are unable to control themselves give a nice excuse for poor behaviour that can then be blamed on the women for "provoking" them.

Thats exactly how it is. The whole practice is insulted to men too.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

kanelli wrote:Except the women can't ogle because there is a physical barrier between?

Claiming that men are weak are unable to control themselves give a nice excuse for poor behaviour that can then be blamed on the women for "provoking" them. The guys have it good!

I think this was brought up before when talking about the veil in this forum. Islam's excuse is that men can't control themselves.

I'm not sure what elaborate excuse is given for why menstruating Muslim women can't pray. No doubt I'll get a week's exercise of rolling my eyes in after reading some of the reasons that will be brought up.

Edit: Here's the thread about that:

dubai-politics-talk/percent-women-harassed-daily-basis-cairo-t39606.html

Just a quick glance and it's interesting to see some change their argument from back then (which I correctly nailed down in that thread to women wearing bumble bee suits because Muslim men are not expected to control their behavior to what shafique is currently saying in admitting that men can't control their behavior here).
event horizon

kanelli wrote:Except the women can't ogle because there is a physical barrier between?

Well, at least the reason (weak or strong) isn't 'women are inferior'.

(And note, it isn't Muslims that pray each morning thanking God for not making them women or gentiles! ;) )

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Religion historically and even today is mostly run by men, so it isn't surprising that women get the crappy end of the stick so often. :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Women Barred From Economic Conference Jul 15, 2011
^Can't argue with that. Men have indeed used religion to put down women - this conference is a good case in point!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Women barred from Economic Conference Jul 16, 2011
Again, the taliban shafique spins the facts, isreali women are banned by arabs and muzlims, more by anybody else.
Here 2 Israeli women doctors were banned from entering Egypt to attend a breast cancer conference
http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b4524.extract

And I remember that isreali woman who was barred from entering the UAE for a tennis champion ship, also miss Israel was barred from entering the UAE.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Women Barred From Economic Conference Jul 16, 2011
herve, are you blaming Muslims for the exclusion of women from this conference? Wow (I'd be ashamed of such a blatant 'what-about-ery' argument). ;)

Or are you arguing (like kanelli) that Jews also use religion to discriminate against women? (Don't be shy, I also agreed with her on this point).

BTW - where the Israelis barred because they were Israelis or because they were women? You're not trying to spin the stories are you?

Cheer up mon ami - no need to make up desperate stories - just join us in shaking our heads at the exclusion of women from the conference.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk