Vicar Tells Women 'know Your Place!'

Topic locked
Vicar tells women 'know your place!' May 25, 2010
I totally missed this story which made the national press in the UK in Feb. The outrage is over a vicar preaching what is in the Bible - outrageous says the women in the congregation.

Eh - you need to get over there and tell the good vicar he should ignore these verses! ;)

Outrage as vicar urges women to submit to husbandsCongregation finds sermon more in keeping with 'dark ages'

A vicar has caused outrage among his congregation after urging women to "be silent" and "submit" to their husbands.

Angus MacLeay, rector of St Nicholas Church in Sevenoaks, Kent, made the comments, which some parishioners thought were more in keeping with a sermon from the dark ages than the modern Church of England, in a leaflet entitled "The Role of Women in the Local Church".

In it, he said women should "not speak" if asked a question that could be answered by their husbands and should "submit to their husbands in everything".

Using Bible references to justify his comments, he wrote: "Wives are to submit to their husbands in everything in recognition of the fact that husbands are head of the family as Christ is head of the church.

"This is the way God has ordered their relationships with each other."

In another passage, which appeared under the heading "More Difficult ­Passages to Consider", he continued: "It would seem that women should remain silent … if questions could legitimately be answered by their husbands."

But MacLeay's words were too difficult to swallow for the dozens of women who cancelled direct debit subscriptions to the Anglican church and vowed not to return.

On Sunday, the curate at St Nicholas delivered a sermon entitled "Marriage and Women" which also urged women to submit to their husbands.

Reverend Mark Oden blamed the "modern woman" for high divorce rates and told the congregation: "We know ­marriage is not working. We only need to look at figures … Wives, submit to your own husbands."

Despite the anger and offence caused, Oden stood by his comments. "I did not set out to unnecessarily offend people, but I stand by what God has said in his word, the Bible," he said.

One female member of the church said she was "disgusted" by Oden's sermon. "How can they talk that way in the 21st century? No wonder the church is losing touch if this is the kind of gobbledegook they want us to believe. I will not be going back to that church and will have to seriously consider my faith if this is the nonsense they are spouting now," she said.

Another member said: "What kind of medieval sermon is that? We are not in the 15th century."

The words may also shock Dr Rowan Williams, head of the Church of England, who holds progressive views.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/fe ... ells-women

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Vicar tells women 'know your place!' May 25, 2010
And they didn't back down:

Rev Mark Oden defiant on call for wives to be ‘submissive’

[Following caption is given below a photo of the two]
Rev. Angus MacLeay, left, and Curate Mark Oden, who did not want his wife to be interviewed about his comments

\A clergyman who sparked a row by calling on wives to be submissive and claiming that modern marriage was in crisis has refused to back down.

After a defiant service at his church in Kent, the Rev Mark Oden claimed that he had received numerous letters backing his opinion, a view that he admitted some people would see as “medieval”.

Two weeks ago the curate delivered a controversial sermon at St Nicholas’s Church in Sevenoaks in which he triggered outrage by partly blaming the high divorce rate on women no longer submitting to their husbands.

“Whatever we do, it [modern marriage] is not working,” he had said. “The Bible’s claim is that God invented marriage. Marriage was God’s idea. God knows how it works.”

Many members of the congregation closed ranks in support of the curate after a follow-up sermon yesterday entitled “Marriage MoT”, in which he admitted that his teachings “might not be palatable” but “we need to hear them.”

Mr Oden, 35, a former Royal Marine commando who is married with three young daughters, has been at the church since his ordination a year ago. He told The Times that no one had approached him directly with their concerns.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 026926.ece
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Wow - that's some pretty controversial stuff to say in a Western country.

I disagree with the vicar and would point out that married women did share their opinions and women did speak, etc, in the Gospels and epistles.

But I can't help but wonder if someone is trying to deflect from the misogynist passages in the Koran and the more serious imams explaining the proper way to beat your wife (the videos I posted on the other thread were all aired on Arabic satellite stations which are watched by millions of Muslim Arabs) - and no protests of these misogynist videos from Muslims !

But that's because wife beatin is in the Koran.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Vicar Tells Women 'know Your Place!' May 25, 2010
Hey, I agree - it's pretty controversial to preach what the Bible says in the West (normally this part is censored) ;).

I'm with you on this one eh - those Christian priests shouldn't take the Bible so literally and should ignore those verses. I mean, whatever next - are they going to start saying it is ok to enslave virgins!

Do you think they visited Waziristan or looked up a Mullah on the internet? ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Hans Kung would disagree with you.

A full reading of the New Testament would show that women can be apostles and speak in church, have their own opinions, etc.

Now, about a full reading of the Koran when it comes to wife beating.

That should be interesting.
event horizon

Re: Vicar Tells Women 'know Your Place!' May 25, 2010
Well, given I agree with you - I guess we'll both have to argue with Kung then.

Is 'garden of England' - Kent thinking of implementing Shariah law anytime soon and allowing wife beating? Do you see Mooslims everywhere eh - or is it like an instinctive reaction every time someone preaches from the Bible and you are embarrassed by what the Bible says?

But let me check - surely you're not arguing that the Bible should be followed in this case? You surely agree with me that the Priests should not go around quoting the Bible so!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

A full reading of the New Testament would show that women can be apostles and speak in church, have their own opinions, etc.

Well if there is such clashing insertions then you know what we call it EH, don't you?
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

I don't know berrin, I forgot shafique's 'interesting' explanation regarding the inconsistencies in the Koran.

Errr, actually, I think he just said that the Koran does not have any contradictions and repeated himself a dozen times.

So, is that what you call it?

-- Tue May 25, 2010 7:42 pm --

shafique wrote:Well, given I agree with you - I guess we'll both have to argue with Kung then.

Is 'garden of England' - Kent thinking of implementing Shariah law anytime soon and allowing wife beating? Do you see Mooslims everywhere eh - or is it like an instinctive reaction every time someone preaches from the Bible and you are embarrassed by what the Bible says?

But let me check - surely you're not arguing that the Bible should be followed in this case? You surely agree with me that the Priests should not go around quoting the Bible so!

Cheers,
Shafique

Yeah, it is odd to change the subject to something else.

But I seem to remember other members on this forum saying you do just that - change the subject when the misogynist passages in the Koran are addressed to something in the Bible.

Actually, you did that quite a few times in the 'wife beating' thread.

LoL.
event horizon

shafique wrote:Eh - you need to get over there and tell the good vicar he should ignore these verses! ;)

You could tell the congregation about your theories of Islam whilst he's there as well!

What would you say:
'Don't listen to your vicars who quote the Bible and say
“Whatever we do, it [modern marriage] is not working,” he had said. “The Bible’s claim is that God invented marriage. Marriage was God’s idea. God knows how it works.”

- what do they know? This is what I Iearnt at Bible camp - you ignore the verses you don't like and say 'a whole reading is required' - and then you blame the Muslims'

:mrgreen:

10/10 for Chutzpah eh.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Vicar tells women 'know your place!' May 26, 2010
Where have I blamed Muslims?

I simply used one of your tried and true tactics of changing the subject (for you, it's bringing up the Bible or Christianity whenever Islam is criticized) by mentioning that the Koran tells husbands to beat their wives if they are disobedient - they may also treat their wives like children and ground them.

As for telling the vicar of the true teachings of Christianity, I find that an ironic statement coming from someone who uses the exact same phrase whenever an Imam or scholar of Islam is quoted supporting an interpretation from the Koran that you would prefer the non-Muslims to hear about - or are you forgetting our discussions on what Hans Kung had to say about concubinage and the Muslim scholars quoted on this forum who advocate offensive Jihad warfare (and let's not even get into Koranic abrogation, a belief that Qadianis reject).
event horizon

Re: Vicar Tells Women 'know Your Place!' May 26, 2010
Convenient, such Koranic abrogation: :P

Does this mean that they DO update the book when they see fit? That explains the different convictions. When was the bomber edition released? :lol: 8)
RobbyG

So, eh, thanks for admitting that your only option was to change the subject after admitting that the Vicars were correctly quoting the Bible (that women should submit to their husbands, not speak in church)- but that they should have focussed on the contradictory verses which imply women could speak in church.

Are there contradictory verses which say women should NOT submit to their husbands - this was after all the main thrust of the sermons?

RG - thanks for highlighting the problem with quoting things out of context. In the second quote, God is talking about replacing previous scriptures - such as the Bible. Otherwise the Quran would contain contradictions like the Bible and we'd have to use the arguments eh is using.

But, back to the Bible and these vicars. 'Women, know your place' and submit to your husbands - pretty clear message. The women of Kent didn't like it though - and as eh says, pretty unconventional to go round quoting the Bible in Church!!

Whatever next? ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:RG - thanks for highlighting the problem

My pleasure Shaffy, you know I keep them fair and balanced. 8)
RobbyG

God is talking about replacing previous scriptures

Let's see the 'context' where allah is talking about replacing previous scripture.

But, back to the Bible and these vicars. 'Women, know your place' and submit to your husbands - pretty clear message. The women of Kent didn't like it though - and as eh says, pretty unconventional to go round quoting the Bible in Church!!

Indeed, part of the problem is partially quoting the Bible instead of considering what the New Testament says about husbands and wives as a whole.

But I see that our resident New Testament expert has already forgotten that the New Testament says that wives have authority over their husbands.

Just a quick check, but does the Koran say the same about wives?

So, eh, thanks for admitting that your only option was to change the subject after admitting that the Vicars were correctly quoting the Bible (that women should submit to their husbands, not speak in church)- but that they should have focussed on the contradictory verses which imply women could speak in church.

I agree that Muslims should also focus on the contradictory verses in the Koran relating to war. No argument there.

It should be revealing what religious nutters some are on this forum when use different approaches to reading the Bible than the Koran.
event horizon

I'm glad we agree on what the Bible says about women speaking in Church - and that indeed the Vicars should have rather focussed on the contradictory verses which said women can speak.

However, you didn't answer the question about the main point of their sermon - that the Bible says women should submit to husbands.

Are you aware of any verses which contradict these verses? (You imply the Bible does indeed contain verses which contradict these, I'm just asking for quotes.)

As I said, perhaps you should go over to Kent and correct these vicars!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The Bible says that wives and husbands have authority over each other, sure.

Does the Koran say anything to that effect?
event horizon

I actually asked whether there were any Biblical verses which contradict the instructions to women to submit to their husbands?

It appears that you disagree with the vicars over which verses of the Bible to ignore and which to take as gospel.

How are the parishoners to judge whether a young guy from the US knows more about the Bible than their vicars? Do you have a Bible which tells you which verses we should ignore, or are the vicars right to give their opinion that God knows what is best for a marriage to work (and that women should indeed submit to their husbands)?

You asked what God says in the Quran - there He does indeed say that men have responsibilities over women and women have rights over men, but ultimately the man is the head of the family. All Christians I've spoken to say this is what the Bible says too - although some (perhaps like you?) say they choose not to follow these verses.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Hey, I agree with you that your interpretation of the New Testament is at odds with what the New Testament really says.

But yes, the vicar should study the New Testament more to fully understand its passages.

BTW, it speaks volumes that the Koran takes a step backwards from what the New Testament says about wives having authority over their husbands.

Then again, it would be silly for the Koran to say that women have power over men when the Koran also says that men are to beat their wives if they are 'disobedient'.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:Hey, I agree with you that your interpretation of the New Testament is at odds with what the New Testament really says.

You think I'm English Vicar from Kent! :shock: :shock:

Wow. :lol:

event horizon wrote:But yes, the vicar should study the New Testament more to fully understand its passages.

Perhaps you could recommend some books for them to study? The Bible seems to be confusing them.

But seriously, how do YOU choose which verses of the Bible to ignore and which to follow? You obviously think the vicars chose the wrong verses to preach in Church, and don't dispute the Bible does says women should submit to their husbands (and not speak in Church). You only seem to be saying you'd choose other contradictory verses and ignore these ones.

Why is your choice better than that of the Vicars?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk