Rethink Afghanistan War (Part 5): Women Of Afghanistan

Topic locked
Rethink Afghanistan War (Part 5): Women of Afghanistan Nov 13, 2012

Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Rethink Afghanistan War (Part 5): Women Of Afghanistan Nov 13, 2012
Isn't that a bit old Nucleus? It's dated 2009. What's your point?
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Rethink Afghanistan War (Part 5): Women Of Afghanistan Nov 14, 2012
Afghanistan before the war:

Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Rethink Afghanistan War (Part 5): Women Of Afghanistan Nov 14, 2012
Nucleus is a man of few words indeed.
I went to Kabul in 1967, when I was very young and accompanied my uncle and aunty. They were newly married and it was a sort of a honeymoon for them.

It was a beautiful city indeed, and all that that video clip shows, and much more, with absolutely gorgeous weather.

However, Kabul was the only thriving city in Afghanistan, the rest of the country was very poor. But it was without doubt a very peaceful place.
As that Youtube clip says, Afghanistan has been a victim of the cold war. Communist Russia had made great inroads into Kabul; they built the University and sent in their teachers who trained the future leaders of Afghanistan, who then invited the Soviets into their country. In 1979, Communist tanks rolled into Kabul, and the rest is history.

I saw pictures of Kabul in 2000. If someone wanted to understand the meaning of the word 'gutted' then one look at those pictures would have conveyed the meaning. The devastation was unbelievable! Not a single building left standing. Gone were all those wonderful ancient Palaces and historical buildings. And that damage was done in the internecine war between the Taliban and the Northern Alliance! Before the invasion by the Western Alliance.

The Simulators are playing, Nucleus :)
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Rethink Afghanistan War (Part 5): Women of Afghanistan Nov 14, 2012
Afghanistan is one of those places that would actually be better off under Communist party rule.
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Rethink Afghanistan War (Part 5): Women Of Afghanistan Nov 16, 2012
They tried that in the '70s and '80s, and it failed spectacularly. I beleive any system of Governance is as good (or as bad) as the men and women who run it.
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk