Rally To Restore Sanity

Topic locked
Rally to restore sanity Oct 31, 2010
Did anyone catch it ? I watched a live stream yesterday night and it was great and amazing to see the turnout 150k+ people I believe. The speech made by Jon Steward and the end made some excellent points.

"We're in hard times right now, we're not in end times"
"We can have animus and not be enemies"
"The inability to distinguish terrorists from Muslims makes us less safe, not more"
"If we amplify everything we hear nothing"
"The press is actually our immune system, if it overreacts to everything we get sicker"
"Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel isn't the Promised Land. Sometimes it's just New Jersey." :shock:

Watch it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXmbzLI3 ... r_embedded

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Rally to restore sanity Oct 31, 2010
I watched the one by John Srewart. Missed me DDS? :D
Bethsmum

Re: Rally To Restore Sanity Oct 31, 2010
Welcome back BM. :albino: I'm sure Dillon isn't too far behind you. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Why thank you Bora! Dillon is otherwise engaged at the moment, I don't know when or if he will be back but I will pass on your good wishes :lol:
Bethsmum

Re: Rally To Restore Sanity Oct 31, 2010
Is engaged the same as "in custody"? :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

However much I would like to report that Dillon, or Drew for that matter, was detained at BM's pleasure I have to tell the truth Bora, and say that on this occasion 'otherwise detained' means 'otherwise detained'! :(
Bethsmum

Re: Rally to restore sanity Nov 01, 2010
A simple question - but did they get more people at this rally than attended the anti-Ground Zero mosque rally on 9/11?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Rally to restore sanity Nov 01, 2010
Oooo! Are we having a rally?

I am very good in the forest stages and can heel and toe properly!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Rally To Restore Sanity Nov 01, 2010
WRX or Focus ?
desertdudeshj

Re: Rally To Restore Sanity Nov 01, 2010
I like a nice power slide...

(oh, I'll go for the Subaru) ;)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Rally to restore sanity Nov 02, 2010
Scooby-Doo any day!

Been there, done that!

Mind you, the EVO is pretty hot these days too...

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Rally to restore sanity Nov 03, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-wjxwpv ... r_embedded

The appearance of one guest personally invited by Jon Stewart didn't go over well with at least one person:

According to novelist Salman Rushdie, Comedy Central star Jon Stewart appears to be unapologetic for featuring Muslim extremist folk singer Cat Stevens (a.k.a. Yusuf Islam) at his Rally to Restore Sanity last Saturday. Stevens has previously supported a long-standing Islamic death sentence against Rushdie.

Standpoint magazine’s Nick Cohen spoke to Rushdie this morning, who told him that: “I spoke to Jon Stewart about Yusuf Islam's appearance. He said he was sorry it upset me, but really, it was plain that he was fine with it. Depressing.”

After Rushdie penned The Satanic Verses in 1988, Iran’s Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a fatwa against him, claiming that the book was “blasphemous against Islam.”

Stevens, a Muslim convert, has reiterated his support for the death sentence on multiple occasions, most recently in 1997. When asked during a 1989 interview whether he would take part in a protest that burned Rushdie in effigy, Stevens replied that “I would have hoped that it'd be the real thing.” The singer has never apologized for endorsing the fatwa....

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/alana- ... nger-rally

Of course, Yusuf Islam is almost always described as one of those 'moderate' Muslims, like the Imam of the 9/11 mosque.

Just a man who wants someone lynch mobbed.

With moderates like Cat Stevens, who needs extremists?
event horizon

Re: Rally To Restore Sanity Nov 03, 2010
LOL - talk about scraping the barrel.

Yusuf Islam / Cat Stevens is a thorn in the side of the Islamophobic fraternity (a Muslim convert that is eloquent, moderate, coherent, compelling and sensible) and the quote above is a classic example of mis-reporting by them to cast slurs on the man - and done using the old technique of selective quotes.

His opinion in his own words:
I never called for the death of Salman Rushdie; nor backed the Fatwa issued by the Ayatollah Khomeini--and still don’t. The book itself destroyed the harmony between peoples and created an unnecessary international crisis.

When asked about my opinion regarding blasphemy, I could not tell a lie and confirmed that--like both the Torah and the Gospel--the Qur’an considers it, without repentance, as a capital offense. The Bible is full of similar harsh laws if you’re looking for them.[8] However, the application of such Biblical and Qur’anic injunctions is not to be outside of due process of law, in a place or land where such law is accepted and applied by the society as a whole... [9]

And in a 2000 interview:
I'm very sad that this seems to be the No. 1 question people want to discuss. I had nothing to do with the issue other than what the media created. I was innocently drawn into the whole controversy. So, after many years, I'm glad at least now that I have been given the opportunity to explain to the public and fans my side of the story in my own words. At a lecture, back in 1989, I was asked a question about blasphemy according to Islamic Law, I simply repeated the legal view according to my limited knowledge of the Scriptural texts, based directly on historical commentaries of the Qur'an. The next day the newspaper headlines read, "Cat Says, Kill Rushdie." I was abhorred [appalled?], but what could I do? I was a new Muslim. If you ask a Bible student to quote the legal punishment of a person who commits blasphemy in the Bible, he would be dishonest if he didn't mention Leviticus 24:16

Sad indeed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Steven ... an_Rushdie

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Not unexpected from event horizon. :(
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Obviously the message of the rally did fall on some deaf ears.
desertdudeshj

kanelli wrote:Not unexpected from event horizon. :(

And that would be, linking a video from Yusuf or reporting what Yusuf said according to reporters?

Rushdie doesn't appear convinced of Yusuf's Muslim moderate credentials. Or is Rushdie now a loon according to bat crazy religious fanatics like shafique?

LoL.

Let me guess, you're the self appointed Western 'moderate'.

Let me know when you come after shafique for his near daily lies and distortions on Israel or other topics.
event horizon

Re: Rally To Restore Sanity Nov 06, 2010
Actually, while it is sometimes annoying that Shaf is waving the Islam flag and keeps trying to defend or uplift Islam's reputation, I can't really blame him. Look at the crap that others post here about Islam, and he clearly loves his religion. Personally, I find Shaf to be moderate in his viewpoints, and what is wrong with having passion for one's religion? He does criticize other Muslims and support some Israeli issues.

I'm the self-appointed Western atheist who is sick of propaganda no matter where it comes from. I'm no expert on all the subjects, but I detect more propaganda bullcrap coming from your posts. Sorry!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk