Palestinian Airlines - Flying Again

Topic locked
Palestinian Airlines - flying again May 27, 2012
Not quite in the same universe as Emirates.. but it's yet another small start for the nation living under military occupation:

Palestinian Airlines resumes flights after 7 years
By IBRAHIM BARZAK, Associated Press

MARKA AIRBASE, Jordan (AP) — Palestinian Airlines is back in the skies after being grounded for seven years by the deepening enmities of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Once hailed as a symbol of Palestinian statehood dreams, the carrier is a tiny operation, with just two 48-seat turboprop planes, two weekly flights and a borrowed hub in Egypt.

But Palestinians say just being on the map again is what matters.

"My hands were shaking when I bought the ticket ... and it said the name of the carrier is Palestinian Airlines," said recent passenger Zuhair Mohammed, a 38-year-old teacher from Gaza.

The 15-year-old airline's fortunes have been closely tied to the quest for a Palestinian state.

In the late 1990s, when Palestinians appeared on the verge of a statehood deal with Israel, Palestinian Airlines operated from Gaza International Airport, flew tens of thousands of passengers a year to Middle Eastern destinations and planned to expand to Europe.

Those ambitions were crushed by the outbreak of a Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation in September 2000, following the collapse of U.S.-led peace talks. Over the next year, Israeli troops destroyed the Gaza airport, and Palestinian Airlines was forced to move its base to El-Arish, an Egyptian coastal resort about 60 kilometers from Gaza.
Seven years ago, the airline stopped flying altogether after its reservoir of passengers dried up. It had mainly served Gazans who, starting in 2005, could no longer reach El-Arish because of increasingly frequent Israeli closures of Gaza's borders.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... bc4fd2d84a

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Palestinian Airlines - Flying Again May 27, 2012
White Nuckle Airways!
IOU
BANNED

Re: Palestinian Airlines - Flying Again May 28, 2012
Way to go Palestine , it is a major mile stone in my openion. Aviation industry will certainly open thausands of apportunities for the people of palestine. Emirates started even smaller than Palestine Airlines but it takes a lot of patience to get there, so I wont be surprised seeing PA getting thier 1 day.

remember, " Energy and persistance will conquer all things" Benjamin Franklin

--- Mon May 28, 2012 7:40 pm ---

pappidopoulos , funny
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Palestinian Airlines - Flying Again May 28, 2012
I think it's a small milestone and largely symbolic. When the military occupation is over and the Palestinians have control over their fate (and the Gas deposits in the sea) then at least they can have the opportunity for a fully fledged airline etc.

I wonder how many airmiles it would take to free all those being held hostage by Israel - all those being held under 'administrative detention', i.e. held hostage without any charge?? ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk