Pakistan And US Relations Unraveling

Topic locked
Pakistan and US relations unraveling Sep 26, 2011
I wonder if Pakistan really has what it takes to sever their relationship with the US. Pakistan is as corrupt as it gets and is a breeding farm for terrorist and extremist groups. Highly unlikely that anyone in the Pakistani government or the military is going to admit having relations with terrorist groups.

List of terrorist extremist groups: http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/countries ... p_list.htm

Terrorist overview:
http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/countries ... index.html

US Pakistan relations over US general's claim:
http://www.voanews.com/english/news/US- ... 28703.html

Excerpts:

Pakistan's army chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani chaired a special meeting of his top commanders on Sunday amid an escalating war of words with the United States. Ties between the two allies have plunged to a new low following U.S. allegations the Pakistani spy agency is encouraging and aiding deadly militant attacks on U.S.- led international forces in Afghanistan.

The corps commanders gathered in the General Headquarters in Rawalpindi against the backdrop of growing American allegations that the Pakistan army’s spy agency, the ISI, is assisting the militant Haqqani network to launch attacks on U.S. targets in neighboring Afghanistan.

The outgoing chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, told a Senate hearing last week that the Haqqani network acts as a “veritable arm” of the Pakistani spy agency, and its fighters planned and conducted this month’s assault on the U.S. embassy in Kabul as well as NATO bases in Afghanistan.

Pakistan’s civilian and military leaders have rejected the accusations as baseless and said they are detrimental for regional peace efforts.

Speaking to reporters in Islamabad Sunday, Interior Minister Rehman Malik insisted that the Haqqani network is not operating from Pakistan. He alleged the network was produced and trained by the American CIA with support from Pakistan to fight the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s.

“They are operating in Afghanistan. If anybody has got any evidence to this effect (that they are in Pakistan) please bring it to us," said Malik. "We are cooperating with U.S. We will cooperate with every country of the world who is fighting against terrorism.“

The minister said he has ordered tighter border controls for checking up to 50,000 people moving between Pakistan and Afghanistan every day.

Pakistan "will cooperate with every country of the world who is fighting against terrorism" yet they do nothing about the terrorism within their own country. :) And of those 50,000 that pass through every day - there are no Pakistani terrorists, just Afghani terrorist. :drunken:

I'm sure a request for "proof" that the statement by the US general is true, is forthcoming. :roll: :roll:

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Pakistan And US Relations Unraveling Sep 26, 2011
Pakistan is failing on so many levels - I hope that they get an equivalent of an 'Arab spring', but so far it doesn't look hopeful. There is corruption throughout and only a few rays of light.

What the General confirms is what most commentators knew and were writing for years. India has been quite vociferous about ISI links to terrorist organisations, for example.

By coincidence Imran Khan was on BBC News 'Hard Talk' programme today and was addressing these issues. He talks the talk - but whether he and his party can bring real change is something that remains to be seen.

Reformation, in my opinion, has to come from within Pakistan though - we've seen what years of foreign support has achieved so far.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I've given up all hope on Pakistan to ever improve, atleast in my lifetime.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Be optimistic, nothing remains the same forever, except for some main principles and values.

Who ever thought the Egyptions will over throw the corrupted regime and situation, I live to see the same changes take place in Pakistan - - Say Ameen ;)
symmetric
BANNED

Well you know how the saying goes...Hope floats.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk