If Only More And More People Had The Same Mentality

Topic locked
If only more and more people had the same mentality Dec 06, 2011
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: If Only More And More People Had The Same Mentality Dec 06, 2011
I understand your point but it's kind of ironic coming from one who is known as “The Mouth or Luisiana Lip” and who’s most famous catchphrase was “ I am the greatest” though?

:)
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dillon wrote:I understand your point but it's kind of ironic coming from one who is known as “The Mouth or Luisiana Lip” and who’s most famous catchphrase was “ I am the greatest” though?

:)

he was known as the luiville lip actually, but if you followed his career you would understand that it was just part of show biz, he would sometimes say that he is the greatest "boxer" of all time, and once parkinsons started to take over he actually said that he is thankful that and quoted saying that god is always number one and i'm nothing.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

I did follow his career actually and since his days as Cassius Clay, and a great man he really was, the best Heavyweight Boxer of all time as far as I am concerned, and the saddest sight at the funeral of Joe Frazier recently with the later stages of Parkinson’s disease so noticeable.
Dillon

he will always be my top heavyweight ever, he truly earned it, he was hospitalised about a couple of weeks ago when found on the floor not moving, but left in good health, it was quite a scare
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

general - I missed the news that Muhammad Ali was hospitalised.

I only remember watching his later fights live - but have watched many of the fights in recordings, and watched most documentaries made about his inspirational life.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: If Only More And More People Had The Same Mentality Dec 07, 2011
i will alwys whatch his fights every now and then, makes me wonder why the hell cant boxers today be anything close to how boxers from that era used to do it, shame realy.
i'm trying to get his latest movie in which some of the boxers he faced like foreman, cooper, lyle, shavers, norton, chuvalo and ofcourse smokin joe frazer were talking about him and also pay tribute to everything he has done and stood for, it is supposed to be very intresting as they reveal many things not said or heard about Ali before, so i've heard. it's called Facing Ali. i'll try to get it.

since we are talking boxing, here is a fact that some didn't know about fraizer i only came to know just weeks ago, he used to work at a slaughter house and he often punched the cold hanging meet like they show in rocky movies, and also used to run up those stairs at the end of his road work agian like they showed in the rocky films were they also put a statue of stallone as tribute to the charecter. fraizer started that sh1t, but rocky gets the tribute.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

That's showbiz general!

All this talk of boxing got me thinking about a girl I used to be very friendly with when my ex husband was in the army. She was married to one of my husbands friends.
Her grandfather (I think it was grandfather, maybe great grandfather?) was Bombadier Billy Wells.
Have you heard of him General. he was a British heavyweight.
He was also the man who hit the gong in the introduction to the Rank films. he had a fantastic body!
My friends dad was Colonel but she married a Trooper (private). He was a bit of a lad from Newcastle and he was killed whilst serving in the 15/19 Hussars. My friend couldn't cope with that and is now an alcoholic living somewhere in Northern Ireland.

That's life general!
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

thats just a sad story BM, it is life indeed, it cant always go the way you want it to, stories like this only makes me appreciate what i have more and more.

as for Bills Wills, im not that good when it comes to remembering british boxers from that era, the only name that always jumps to mind is the late sir henry cooper who died few months ago, he was the first to put Ali on his arse, but Ali being Ali got up, shook it off and went on to win the fight. he (cooper) made one of my favourate Ali documents (the five laws of mohammed ali).
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Sir Henry was a gentleman, general. You should google Bomadier Billy Wells. I'm sure you will be impressed by him!
Bethsmum

I recognise him now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uie4Yqrh ... ata_player

And yes sir henry cooper certainly was a gentelman.

This reunion here is a sight for the ages

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuoLyPOu ... ata_player
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Michael Parkinson, a UK TV personality interviewed Muhammad Ali on several occasions during the 1970’s, I remember the interviews were very popular at the time, a Parkinson comment in the introduction of the video clip; “I interviewed him four times…and I lost on every occasion!”

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnz77QSu2HA
Dillon

LOL I looked at your YOUTUBE clip, general, and read the comments below. Everyone and his Aunty is claiming to be related!
If my friend was compos mentis I would have asked her if she recognised any of them. Sadly, she's away with the fairies.

-- Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:37 pm --

general_A wrote:And yes sir henry cooper certainly was a gentelman.

They don't make them like they used to general. What do you reckon to Audley Harrison? He's just been a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing. :D
He's alright to look at but he doesn't make the grade as a boxer, in my humble opinion. Not that I'm an expert you understand :P

-- Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:38 pm --

Dillon wrote:Michael Parkinson, a UK TV personality interviewed Muhammad Ali on several occasions during the 1970’s, I remember the interviews were very popular at the time, a Parkinson comment in the introduction of the video clip; “I interviewed him four times…and I lost on every occasion!”

Ali was always very entertaining Dillon, and so was Emu :D
Bethsmum

Re: If Only More And More People Had The Same Mentality Dec 08, 2011
Dillon wrote:Michael Parkinson, a UK TV personality interviewed Muhammad Ali on several occasions during the 1970’s, I remember the interviews were very popular at the time, a Parkinson comment in the introduction of the video clip; “I interviewed him four times…and I lost on every occasion!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnz77QSu2HA

i cant tell you how many times i watched that clip lol, i enjoy watching everytime like it's the first time i see it, Ali seemed to have the ability to be whatever type of man he wants to be, and be as good at it as he was in and outside the ring, a true entertainer.

-- Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:10 am --

Bethsmum wrote:

LOL I looked at your YOUTUBE clip, general, and read the comments below. Everyone and his Aunty is claiming to be related!
If my friend was compos mentis I would have asked her if she recognised any of them. Sadly, she's away with the fairies.

-- Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:37 pm --

general_A wrote:And yes sir henry cooper certainly was a gentelman.

They don't make them like they used to general. What do you reckon to Audley Harrison? He's just been a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing. :D
He's alright to look at but he doesn't make the grade as a boxer, in my humble opinion. Not that I'm an expert you understand :P

-- Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:38 pm --

Ali was always very entertaining Dillon, and so was Emu :D

those claiming to be related reminded me of a guy who i barely knew, we were having a conversation when he said he wanted me to show me a picture of his cousin's falcon, so he pulls out his phone and shows me and asks me what i thought of the picture, as soon as i saw it i was like :shock: , that's my damn falcon man, were the hell did u get it from, and it was photoshoped as well to enhance the colours lol. this happened quite a few times to me, and it's always the same two pictures of my falcons that i had.

yes, audly harrison sadly fought scared when he went up the ranks as a pro, just like frank bruno, they break under pressure.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: If Only More And More People Had The Same Mentality Dec 08, 2011
Frank Bruno had his broblems in his private life aswell, and so did his wife as liked to use her as a punch bag.

It's so very sad to see Ali now, I wonder if the boxing had anything to do with the Parkinsons disease? It can't help being punched repeatedly to the head but I don't think he took the batterings a lot of boxers did.

So you have a falcon general? :shock: I used to have a canary once and it was looking a bit shabby so I bathed it. I don't know what happened but it was dead the next day.
Bethsmum

Re: If Only More And More People Had The Same Mentality Dec 09, 2011
I enjoyed listening to Muhammad Ali. Thank you for sharing the video :)
Yosef
BANNED

Re: If Only More And More People Had The Same Mentality Dec 09, 2011
I hadn't heard of the film 'Facing Ali' until mentioned in this thread above.

I watched it last night - very interesting and well worth watching for all Ali and boxing fans.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: If Only More And More People Had The Same Mentality Dec 12, 2011
shafique ,

shafique, were did u whatch the movie
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

general, I downloaded it from a well known torrent site (I think it is in Sweden, initials PB...) ;)

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll pm you exact details.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique ,

thanks i will try that, you might want to check the documentary "the five laws of mohammed ali" by the late sir henry cooper, i liked the phrased he used when discribing Ali's jab, it was long and stingning, i could still feel it to this day
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

I saw that the documentary 5 laws is available on Youtube - I haven't watched it yet.. but will do.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk