29 Million Year Old Monkey Fossil

Topic locked
29 million year old monkey fossil Jul 14, 2010
Whilst many Americans don't believe in evolution or fossil evidence (and with Republicans who go to church, it is 73%!) - science moves on.

Fossil links humans and monkeys
By Pallab Ghosh
Science correspondent, BBC News

Researchers have discovered the skull of a 29 million-year-old animal that could be a common ancestor of Old World monkeys and apes, including humans.

It indicates that apes and Old World monkeys diverged millions of years later than previously thought, say the scientists.

The discovery was made in Saudi Arabia by researchers from the University of Michigan.

They described the primate, Saadanius hijazensis, in the journal Nature.

Dr William Sanders from the University of Michigan, who led the research, said this was "an extraordinary find".

The skull of this previously unknown species had some features that are shared by Old World monkeys and apes, including humans, today

"Saadanius is close to a group that eventually led to us," said Dr Sanders.

"If we knew something about the time period and the condition this animal was living in, we might be able to discover what brought about the changes that led to [the evolution of] apes and humans".

Dr Sanders explained that Saadanius might even have been the common ancestor that linked humans to Old World Monkeys.

"But there could have been a suite of creatures at the time that were very similar and one of them became our ancestor," he said. "We need to get out in the field and get more data before making bigger claims."

The fossilised remains indicate that the primate looked very much like a modern new world monkey, such as a capuchin. But it was probably slightly larger - about the size of a gibbon.

It would have used all four limbs to run around in the trees. When resting, the scientists say, it probably lay in the trees rather than sitting upright on the ground.

The discovery suggests that the divergence of apes and Old World monkeys happened much later than the 30-35 million years ago that genetic studies have suggested.

The new date, of 29 million years ago, fits more closely with what the researchers would have expected and is not surprising from a palaeontological point of view.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science+environment-10633640

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: 29 million year old monkey fossil Jul 14, 2010
shafique wrote:Whilst many Americans don't believe in evolution or fossil evidence (and with Republicans who go to church, it is 73%!) - science moves on.

Heard of the saying Shafique, Those in glass houses must not throw stones? :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: 29 million year old monkey fossil Jul 14, 2010
Interesting that they named it 'Saadanius Hijazensis'...

One assumes his living relatives now drive LandCruisers?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: 29 Million Year Old Monkey Fossil Jul 14, 2010
^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: 29 million year old monkey fossil Jul 15, 2010
Misery Called Life wrote:
shafique wrote:Whilst many Americans don't believe in evolution or fossil evidence (and with Republicans who go to church, it is 73%!) - science moves on.

Heard of the saying Shafique, Those in glass houses must not throw stones? :lol:

Yep, but having made extensive surveys and found that my house is stone proof on this point - I'm taking the calculated risk in quoting this survey result. :mrgreen:

DK - ROFlMA :mrgreen:
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: 29 million year old monkey fossil Jul 15, 2010
shafique wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:

Yep, but having made extensive surveys and found that my house is stone proof on this point - I'm taking the calculated risk in quoting this survey result. :mrgreen:

DK - ROFlMA :mrgreen:

Are you saying you're the missing link?
event horizon

Re: 29 Million Year Old Monkey Fossil Jul 15, 2010
Well, 73% of your peers don't believe in the missing link (or that the world is more than 10,000 years old)!

Good luck with persuading your fellow Christians to your point of view that we're all descended from 'lower primates' - I'm all for getting people to reject Biblical verses that don't make sense in today's world.

However, we're still waiting for your scientific explanation for the Bible's claim that the sun stopped in the sky for a day. Almost 4 months now!

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:
However, we're still waiting for your scientific explanation for the Bible's claim that the sun stopped in the sky for a day. Almost 4 months now!

cheers,
Shafique

I can explain that in one word...wine!

:drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

Knight
Dubai Knight

^Actually, the wait is finally over.

event horizon wrote:You don't need a scientific explanation for a miracle, do you?

LoL. I thought that was just common knowledge.

philosophy-dubai/bible-and-science-defence-t40975.html#p342218

How stupid I was - the one word isn't 'whine' ;) but 'miracle', and that is 'just common knowledge'. :shock:

Sounds like he's not too different from 73% of his peers who believe that we were all created 10,000 to 6000 years ago! :)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: 29 Million Year Old Monkey Fossil Jul 29, 2010
wow , thats good news :P
thelast
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk