Jerusalem Arabs Want To Be Israeli's

Topic locked
Jerusalem Arabs want to be Israeli's Jan 12, 2011
This has been discussed in another thread, but cannot be bothered to find it, so I'll open a new thread about it.
Despite the hineous vile criticism about Israel, like comparing it to the nazi's, it appears Arab residents of Jerusalem rather want Israeli citizenship than to be Palestinian. Based on published interviews I already expressed my ideas about it. It caused quite some fits and foaming months. Apparently what the people themselves want should be surpressed, all in the cause of de-legitimizing Israel. Now there is a poll, supported the view that Arab Jerusalemites prefer to be Israeli.

http://pechterpolls.com/?p=317

According to above poll, 35% of Arab Jerusalemites want to be Israeli, 30% Palestinian, 35% doesnt know. Notice that Arab residents of Jerusalem can become Israel citizens, but are under PA threat to be killed.

Awkward!

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Jerusalem Arabs Want To Be Israeli's Jan 13, 2011
Nothing wrong with that all. I certainly hope that if there ever was something like this to happen Israel would allow them to stay Israeli citizens and not push them across the borders as somewithin Israel have suggested.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Jerusalem Arabs want to be Israeli's Jan 13, 2011
Hmm judging by the distribution of the respondents, its difficult to draw conclusive interpretations about the general population, the telling sign is the 35% of them didnt know, From the 3 bar line graph the ones that dont know are slightly higher than ones that want to become israeli, statistically this takes precedence

The article also states that the ones who want to become israeli would want better movement, jobs and health care.

Those that want to be palestinian cite nationalism / patriotism, The vast majority of this group will eventually succumb to taking the israeli citizenship, due to its obvious benefits.

As of this study, it seems that enhancing the quality of life is the major motivating factor to choose the israeli citizenship

imho - This is forced due to circumstances prevailing in that part of the world
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Arabs living to the West of the 1967 green line are living in Israel - so are Israelis.

Those living to the East, are either living in East Jerusalem proper, or what was part of the West Bank before Israel unilaterally (and illegally) renamed parts of the West Bank as 'East Jerusalem' and annexed it.

Given that international law is pretty clear that this artificially expanded East Jerusalem was illegally annexed and is not part of Israel, fanbois can only resort to non-legal arguments to excuse the fact that many on the Israeli side don't want to abide by International law and give up East Jerusalem. Even the USA doesn't recognise the illegal annexation - which speaks volumes. No country in the world has an embassy there (they are all in Tel Aviv - just consulates in Jerusalem - because the UN ruled on the subject).

I would be very interested in a survey that asked Arab Israelis and Arab Palestinians about whether they wish Israel to abide by UN resolution 242, the Arab Peace plan etc which all call for East Jerusalem to be in Palestine (indeed, the capital of Palestine). The result is a fore-gone conclusion - the majority will vote for East Jerusalem in Palestine.

I'm sure the fanbois will want to ignore this majority decision.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Jerusalem Arabs want to be Israeli's Jan 13, 2011
The kicker is that Palestine is not mentioned once in resolution 242. So, no 242 doesnt call for East Jesrusalem to be in Palestine!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

shafique wrote:
I would be very interested in a survey that asked Arab Israelis and Arab Palestinians about whether they wish Israel to abide by UN resolution 242, the Arab Peace plan etc which all call for East Jerusalem to be in Palestine (indeed, the capital of Palestine). The result is a fore-gone conclusion - the majority will vote for East Jerusalem in Palestine.

I'm sure the fanbois will want to ignore this majority decision.

Cheers,
Shafique

That s pretty arrogant of you to "know" the result of a survey before it takes place.
By the way, who started the war in 1967? don't remember
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

You're right gertrude. We shouldn't prejudge what the Palestinians living under Israeli Military Occupation will vote if asked

'Do you want to have Israel keep East Jerusalem which it captured in 1967, and also keep the parts of the West Bank it re-named 'East Jerusalem' - or do you want East Jerusalem to be the capital of Palestine.'

(Note that East Jerusalem is Occupied land according to the USA and all other countries of the world).

I'll however take a wild guess and will indeed state my educated opinion that the majority will vote in favour of international law.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk