US Imams Condemn Holocaust Denial

Topic locked
US Imams condemn Holocaust denial Aug 18, 2010
As reported in Haaretz and here in the World Jewish Congress.

American Muslim leaders visit Nazi camp sites; condemn Holocaust denial
18 August 2010

Eight Muslim American leaders, who visited the sites of former Nazi concentration camps and met with Holocaust survivors earlier this month, have signed a statement condemning Holocaust denial and anti-Semitism. The trip, intended to teach the participants about the Holocaust, featured visits to the Dachau and Auschwitz camps.

“We stand united as Muslim American faith and community leaders and recognize that we have a shared responsibility to continue to work together with leaders of all faiths and their communities to fight the dehumanization of all peoples based on their religion, race or ethnicity,” the statement read. “With the disturbing rise of anti-Semitism, Islamophobia and other forms of hatred, rhetoric and bigotry, now more than ever, people of faith must stand together for truth.” Marshall Breger, a Jewish former member of the Reagan and Bush administrations, launched the trip to educate those who may not have had the opportunity to learn the history of the Holocaust. Breger said this would help combat Holocaust denial among Muslims.

The leaders on the trip were five imams – Muzammil Siddiqi of California; Muhamad Maged of Virginia; Suhaib Webb of California, Abdullah Antepli of North Carolina, and Syed Naqvi of Washington DC – along with Sayyid Syeed of Washington, Sheikh Yasir Qadhi of Connecticut, and Laila Muhammad of Illinois. US government officials, the State Department’s special envoy to monitor and combat anti-Semitism, and an official from the Organization of the Islamic Conference also participated in the trip.

According to the ‘Forward’ weekly newspaper, several of the leaders had a history of anti-Semitic comments. Laila Muhammad is the daughter of American Muslim leader W.D. Muhammad and granddaughter of Elijah Muhammad, leader of the controversial Nation of Islam. The trip was co-sponsored by a German think tank and the New Jersey-based group Interreligious Understanding.

http://www.worldjewishcongress.org/en/m ... ws/id/9540

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: US Imams condemn Holocaust denial Aug 19, 2010
Good - perhaps this will send a message to Islamic countries, such as Hamas run Gaza, that the Holocaust was a real event.

Hamas condemned the United Nations Sunday, saying it planned to teach Palestinian children in the Gaza Strip about the Holocaust — but the U.N. agency which runs schools in the enclave would not confirm any change.

Branding the Nazi genocide of the Jews "a lie invented by the Zionists,” the Islamist movement which runs the Gaza Strip wrote in an open letter to a senior U.N. official that he should withdraw plans for a new history book in U.N. schools.

A spokesman for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), which educates some 200,000 refugee children in Gaza, said the Holocaust was not on its current curriculum. He would not comment on Hamas’s statement that it was about to change.

Palestinians resent the way world powers reacted to the Holocaust by supporting the establishment of Israel in 1948, a move that left half the Arab population of then British-ruled Palestine as refugees in Gaza, the West Bank and abroad.

Hamas said it believed UNRWA was about to start using a text for 13-year-olds that included a chapter on the Holocaust.

In an open letter to local UNRWA chief John Ging, the movement’s Popular Committees for Refugees said: “We refuse to let our children study a lie invented by the Zionists.”

UNRWA spokesman Adnan Abu Hasna said: “There is no mention of the Holocaust in the current syllabus.” Asked if UNRWA planned to change that, he declined to comment.

http://engageonline.wordpress.com/2010/ ... -happened/

:shock:
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: US Imams Condemn Holocaust Denial Aug 19, 2010
I'm glad we agree it is a good thing.

Hamas, for it's part has been quite categoric about it's stance about the Holocaust. You may not have been aware, but they have issued a categoric, complete and clear statement on the issue. ;)

Here's a reminder of the relevant part of the official Hamas stance on the Holocaust (just to contrast it with what Guru Bob etc think):

But it should be made clear that neither Hamas nor the Palestinian government in Gaza denies the Nazi Holocaust. The Holocaust was not only a crime against humanity but one of the most abhorrent crimes in modern history. We condemn it as we condemn every abuse of humanity and all forms of discrimination on the basis of religion, race, gender or nationality.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... eholocaust

I'm glad I could clarify your confusion on the subject.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: US Imams Condemn Holocaust Denial Aug 19, 2010
eh, you are so tiresome. Every time Shaf tries to highlight moderate Islam you try to say it is a lie or you counter it with something outrageous that extremists have said.

Just like Christianity and other religions, there is a range of beliefs, from religious only in name to moderate to far out there extremism. You constantly try to portray Islam as a religion of brutality and extremism, which is simply false.

You are the extremist in my opinion. I don't enjoy reading in this section of the forum anymore because of you polluting this place.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: US Imams condemn Holocaust denial Aug 19, 2010
I thought I was clear from my above post that I thought this was a 'good' move by American Muslims to admit to the existence of the Holocaust - particularly since teaching of the Holocaust is banned in several countries, including one that shafique refuses to acknowledge.

Hey, even shafique said that he was glad we both agree that Western Muslims who admit the historical existence of the Holocaust was a momentous step.

Can't spin that in any other way.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk