Talking Donkeys In Bible - Eh's Evasion

Topic locked
Talking Donkeys in Bible - eh's evasion Aug 09, 2010
Whilst eh has been trying his hardest to get me to believe in his interpretation of the Quran that ants could speak to Solomon and reject the logical alternative - I asked him a related question which he thus far is ignoring (perhaps out of shame?).

We've already established that between the two of us, only eh rejects science when scripture says something fantasical occured - eh believes the Bible's claim that the sun stopped in the sky for a whole day when science tells us that this is impossible as it would mean the earth stopped rotating.

But on the question of talking donkeys - some Christians take the rational view that this is metaphorical and not literal, but some of eh's countrymen (the 'bible bashing' variety) do take this literally and believe donkeys could converse. I'm merely asking eh whether he agrees with the former or latter Christians?

shafique wrote:May I ask whether you also believe that Donkey's can talk (I know my kids think they speak like Eddie Murphy - but they recognise this only happens in Shrek!):

Numbers 22:28-30,
28 And the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” 29 Then Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a mockery of me! If there had been a sword in my hand, I would have killed you by now.” 30 And the donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden all your life to this day? Have I ever been accustomed to do so to you?” And he said, “No.”

It appears that there are indeed some Christians that believe this literally happened (others say it was a dream or that the braying was interpreted.. etc).

Do you believe that the Bible's description of a talking Donkey literally happened? Yes or no??

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Talking Donkeys In Bible - Eh's Evasion Aug 09, 2010
Donkey's wont talk, in time the sun will rise from the west instead of rising from the east!!
thelast
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Talking Donkeys in Bible - eh's evasion Aug 09, 2010
Those that believe that the sun will literally rise from the East will also probably believe that Donkey's can talk (I mean, those that believe that the earth can stop rotating for a day, would also believe the earth will start spinning in the other direction - surely?)

I'll stick to rational explanations though - but let's see what camp young eh is in - that talking donkeys is a metaphorical description or whether he agrees with the Christians who say a donkey did indeed talk?

Heck, let's not forget that the Jews are still waiting for Elijah to descend from heaven in the firey chariot that took him up to heaven - until he comes back, the Messiah for the Jews won't have come. (Christians and Muslims believe that John the Baptist fulfils this prophecy - but there was no chariot! Go figure!!?)

http://www.bci.org/prophecy-fulfilled/elijah.htm
(Just taken from a quick Google search, it is a Bahai site, but lists the biblical verses and explains their signficance. So Jesus believed the prophecy was fulfilled in John the Baptist, despite no chariot.. so prophecies, according to the NT, can be fulfilled metaphorically)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Talking Donkeys in Bible - eh's evasion Aug 09, 2010
shafique wrote:Those that believe that the sun will literally rise from the East will also probably believe that Donkey's can talk (I mean, those that believe that the earth can stop rotating for a day, would also believe the earth will start spinning in the other direction - surely?)

I couldn't possibly comment on donkeys talk, as I never lived in those times to witness whether there was such miracle...(which is one of the reasons why I will always stick with quran as it is protected from corruption upon God's assurance).

But anyways Shafique have you heard of a scientific fact called "Retrograde motion"

The sun's motion about the centre of mass of the solar system is complicated by perturbations from the planets. Every few hundred years this motion switches between prograde and retrograde.[11]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrograde_motion#The_Sun

No! I swear by the planets with their retrograde motion, swiftly moving, self-concealing, and by the night when it draws in, and by the dawn when it exhales, (Surat at-Takwir, 15-18)

According to NASA, the speed of planet Mars has been decreasing in its course toward the eastern direction in the past few weeks to the level we notice the "waver" between the east and the west. On Wednesday the 30th of July, 2009, the planet movement stopped going toward the eastern direction.. Then in the months of August and September...Mars changed its course in the opposite direction to the West- and that until the end of September.. the sun will rise now from the west on Mars!.. And this weird phenomena of the opposite movement called "Retrograde Motion". Most scientist state that all the planets will go through the same once at least and our planet Earth is one of them. Planet Earth will move in the opposite direction some day and the sun will rise from the west....
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Talking Donkeys In Bible - Eh's Evasion Aug 09, 2010
Ok, I admit I was not aware of retrograde motion - I'll take your word for it for now and will read up on it. When the evidence changes, I change my mind. I thought it was impossible for the earth to rotate the other way... but hey, let me look it up.

Now, the question for eh still remains - does he believe donkeys talk or is he one of the Christians who say this was metaphorical?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Talking Donkeys In Bible - Eh's Evasion Aug 10, 2010
I came across a something odd today

Deuteronomy 23:1 No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the LORD.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

^Ouch!

Does that mean that Christians that undergo a sex change will not make it to heaven?

(I have to admit I had to check whether you were just making this up or not - but it's an accurate quote. Wow)

I look forward to eh's defence of this.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:^Ouch!

Does that mean that Christians that undergo a love change will not make it to heaven?

(I have to admit I had to check whether you were just making this up or not - but it's an accurate quote. Wow)

I look forward to eh's defence of this.

Cheers,
Shafique

Perhaps our Bible scholar should know that the passage is not referring to heaven ?
event horizon

Why is some poor sod who might have his nutsack crushed by accident and o fault of his own ( a very excruciating event in itself I assume ) be left out. Didn't know it mattered so much to god to have an intact set of b@lls. Genital racism I say.
desertdudeshj

Re: Talking Donkeys in Bible - eh's evasion Aug 10, 2010
It's a way to limit the number of Pakistanis who can convert to Judaism.
event horizon

It seems the young loon is more willing to talk about genitals than talking donkeys!

Sometimes it is as if he is talking from that general area of his body! ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Berrin has already punked your question on the other thread.

THX Berrin
event horizon

Has Berrin said he believes in talking Donkeys and disagrees with Christians who don't? Did he tell us which camp you belong to?

Is this in loonville or did you just dream this?

It is funny that you chose to reply only when the conversation turned to genitals - and don't seem able (or willing) to defend the Bible's intolerance of those who may have been kicked in the goolies.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Here is another fun one

Deuteronomy 25:11-12."If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."

Ladies when somebody is kicking the daylight out of your BO whatever you do don't grab the attackers junk :blackeye:
desertdudeshj

:shock:

Oh dear. No wonder the young loon is avoiding this thread.

You can almost hear the frantic search of loon websites for some verse of the Quran that even comes close to this. But the young one has obviously failed and hence has gone into stealth 'shiekh' mode and trying to preach the loon interpretation of Islam instead (and failing miserably too there as well!)

But will he twll us his views of talking donkeys and the hand chopping for copping a feel??
;)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

So Shaf you dont believe in Bible? how could you? Allah in Quran clarifies that they have been prophets before Mohammad and it tells stories of Jesus. God should speak with people in a simple way so they would understand it, he cant tell stories for fun which u claim METAPHORICAL!

So ants can talk to Solomon but donkeys cant?? ahh that s double standard!!!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Talking Donkeys in Bible - eh's evasion Aug 11, 2010
Mel - the question asked is whether eh agrees with the Christians who say the talking donkey is metaphorical or with the Christians who say the donkey did talk.

He's avoiding the question - I've not said which group is right, just asked which one he belongs to.

I've been pretty cleat that I choose the rational explanation every time - but he believes the sun stopped in the sky and says that there is no scientific explanation for this belief.

As for the verses about men's private parts - well that he will have to address!!

Cheers
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Talking Donkeys in Bible - eh's evasion Aug 11, 2010
Berrin has already provided a rational explanation for the Bible's passage of the sun stopping in the sky.

After reading his post, I concluded that he was correct and I now agree with him - the Biblical passage is totally compatible with science.
event horizon

Re: Talking Donkeys In Bible - Eh's Evasion Aug 14, 2010
I think you posted in the wrong thread eh - the question was whether you agree with the Christians who think donkeys can talk, or with those who say this was a metaphorical description.

As for now saying that the Bible's description of the earth stopping rotation for a day is 'totally compatible with science', that is so funny it is unreal. Presumably you're going to now claim that Berrin is a scientist and has said that the earth stopped rotating! ;)

BTW - is there any scientist that says that the earth did stop rotating for a day in the past? Loon wishful thinking is a wonderful thing to observe. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Talking Donkeys in Bible - eh's evasion Aug 15, 2010
I refer you to berrin's post if you have any questions.

Perhaps one should believe that you are a scientist, in addition to being a theologian and historian ?
event horizon

Re: Talking Donkeys In Bible - Eh's Evasion Aug 15, 2010
Berrin does not comment on whether you believe in talking Donkeys or not.

Berrin also does not say that any scientist agrees with you that the earth stopped rotating either.

It appears you've constructed a fantasy where Berrin is a Christian who shares your views. Loons and their over-active imaginations continue to amuse, it seems.

So, do you believe in talking Donkeys like some christians do, or do you agree with the other Christians who say it never happened literally? Your evasion is embarrassing you now.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Talking Donkeys In Bible - Eh's Evasion Aug 16, 2010
Let me repeat the question:

So, do you believe in talking Donkeys like some christians do, or do you agree with the other Christians who say it never happened literally? Your evasion is embarrassing you now.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Talking Donkeys in Bible - eh's evasion Sep 10, 2010
A Talking Donkey

I never cease to be amazed at the credulity of the religious. A while back, I commented on a talking donkey in the Bible. It's in Numbers 22:28-30. Back when I did this, I had several people claim that I had no idea what I was talking about, because I was taking it as literal truth. Some said I obviously had not read anything about the Bible and was uneducated because of the way I presented the scripture and made fun of it.

My obvious response was that I wasn't talking to the metaphorical Christians. I was talking to the ones that take every word in the Bible as literal fact. For someone to get upset at me and treat me as if I don't know what I'm talking about, well, it only speak to that person's ignorance of his fellow believers. Do not attack me when I'm actually addressing views a great deal of people hold. That is, some Christians don't say that the story of Balaam and the donkey is allegorical. Instead, they say an actual donkey talked to an angel on planet Earth. That it was as real as anything else in reality.

I've posed this question to fundamentalists (those who take the Bible entirely literally) to gauge their reactions. The vast majority of these fundies have no problem accepting a talking donkey.They say that in the past talking animals were actually very common, after all Eve talked to a snake in the Garden of Eden. :shock: :shock:

One can only sit back and laugh at such credulity. I used the talking donkey story in an effort to show fundies how ridiculous it is to take the Bible literally, but that doesn't discourage them in the least. They are willing to accept blindly whatever the Bible says. And this fact is precisely why they are so dangerous. There is not one drop of evidence for a talking donkey or snake, ever. The Bible is the perfect word of their perfect god, so whatever it says MUST be true, right? Give me a break.

Did I say I sit back and laugh at them? Well, truth is that I'm just as likely to shed a tear over this sad fact about members of my species.

http://thequestforreason.blogspot.com/2 ... onkey.html

So, the question remains - does eh belong with the group who say the talking Donkey didn't literally talk (it was allegorical, according to some Christians) or does he agree with the likes of Pastor Jones who presumably belongs to the 'what-dya-mean you don't believe the word of God - of course a talking donkey existed' brigade?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Talking Donkeys in Bible - eh's evasion Sep 24, 2010
shafique wrote:Whilst eh has been trying his hardest to get me to believe in his interpretation of the Quran that ants could speak to Solomon and reject the logical alternative - I asked him a related question which he thus far is ignoring (perhaps out of shame?).

We've already established that between the two of us, only eh rejects science when scripture says something fantasical occured - eh believes the Bible's claim that the sun stopped in the sky for a whole day when science tells us that this is impossible as it would mean the earth stopped rotating.

But on the question of talking donkeys - some Christians take the rational view that this is metaphorical and not literal, but some of eh's countrymen (the 'bible bashing' variety) do take this literally and believe donkeys could converse. I'm merely asking eh whether he agrees with the former or latter Christians?

shafique wrote:May I ask whether you also believe that Donkey's can talk (I know my kids think they speak like Eddie Murphy - but they recognise this only happens in Shrek!):

Numbers 22:28-30,
28 And the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” 29 Then Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a mockery of me! If there had been a sword in my hand, I would have killed you by now.” 30 And the donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden all your life to this day? Have I ever been accustomed to do so to you?” And he said, “No.”

It appears that there are indeed some Christians that believe this literally happened (others say it was a dream or that the braying was interpreted.. etc).

Do you believe that the Bible's description of a talking Donkey literally happened? Yes or no??

Cheers,
Shafique

Fantastic stuff you've got here. It's a real treat to read. :mrgreen:
pinkpandora
Dubai Forum User

Re: Talking Donkeys In Bible - Eh's Evasion Oct 01, 2010
You're welcome pp - let's see whether eh ever get's round to addressing this issue.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Talking Donkeys In Bible - Eh's Evasion Oct 30, 2010
still waiting. ;)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums