Guys, Is This Really True?

Topic locked
Guys, is this really true? Jan 25, 2009
I am very sorry if this one has nothing to do with politics, I’m just curious.

I met a beautiful European girl today who grew up in Dubai. I was extremely surprised when she said she doesn’t likes what is going on in Dubai. I asked her why, she said because Dubai is a city beyond recognition in term of Arabic culture, and far more open in others crazy stuff than even in her own country. I asked her whether she wants to go back to Dubai, she said no, she would prefer to work in Qatar as she would get good exposure to the real Arabic culture.

For those people who live in Dubai is this really true?
:)

Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 25, 2009
lol not sure how qatar would help her :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 25, 2009
now this is funny ..some ppl who claimed to love dubai and consider is as "HOME" but when the financial crisis hit the city and they lost their jobs ..and there is no monye no nice villa no nice cars ..they leave because dubai lost its arabic culture & traditional value..lol :shock:
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 25, 2009
she sounds defeated....she might be lookin for new avenues.... :lol:
daisy
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2009
Some of us embrace the true Emirati culture and are part of it or are active in attempting to preserve what little is left.

What little there is, is in danger of being bulldozed and replaced with crass glass towers of Babel...

Even the Bastikiya district is a false front for poorly built modern structures, so few of the buildings there are the originals.

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 25, 2009
No, no, she is only 22 years old. She isn’t interested in politics or economy. She was only speaking from her past experience in Dubai – and by the way she left Dubai before the financial crisis even hit. So she only is speaking from what she saw in Dubai.
:)
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 25, 2009
I kind of agree with here though because I really see stuff in dubai that can't be seen in some Europian countries . but hey are you sure that shes left for those reasons only ?
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Jan 26, 2009
Meshetitor, my friend.

No, I don’t believe she left because of that, she left when her parents decided to go back to their country.
But she was adamant that she wouldn’t like to work in Dubai, just because of the mentioned above. That’s surprised me because she grew up in Dubai and speaks Arabic. She sincerely loves UAE and UAE people. She just thinks that Qatar still has that Arabic characteristic preserve.
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 29, 2009
I know alot of westerners who have felt this way---pre-credit crunch. I guess not everyone has access to the real parts. There was a letter in the newspaper recently which said in the real 'old' Dubai, there were camels who'd walk freely and eat from the trash in Satwa, while green parrots roamed the city in hundreds. I haven't seen any of those things around, so it must have changed QUITE a bit!

For me, Abras, Deira, Meena Bazaar and the tons of Emirati colleagues I have, helps keep Dubai real ;-)
wordyexpat
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 13, 2009
I live in Dubai for years... and I feel Dubai has 2 sides of a coin...

It preserves its Arabic culture as in a glass prism.... and at the same time is ultra modern for any other nationalities to live and work in their own environment.

Thats why I believe theres so many nationalities residing here!!
vera.chandler
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 15, 2009
Humbleman wrote:Meshetitor, my friend.

No, I don’t believe she left because of that, she left when her parents decided to go back to their country.
But she was adamant that she wouldn’t like to work in Dubai, just because of the mentioned above. That’s surprised me because she grew up in Dubai and speaks Arabic. She sincerely loves UAE and UAE people. She just thinks that Qatar still has that Arabic characteristic preserve.

SUDAN still has that Arabic characteristic preserve..KSA is more preserved than any other country in the world..why dont she go there..

this girl knows how to chose her target
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 04, 2009
Well I've been here for 33 years, never had a company paid villa or a high paying job. I'm happy and greatfull for what I have and had. But I do have nice cars, well I rather starve before I drive a corolla or a sunny :) . I have and do call it home, but dunno how long will I be alowwed to call it that. Anyways, I loved the old dubai it was "cosy" for lack of a better word. Pace of life was much more relaxed, NO TRAFFIC !!!.

Now its just filled with people who are hear temporarily to milk it as much as they can and leave. They have no real attachment here and its just another money making venture. They don't care what the consequnces are. Just like when a logging company comes into the woods they are there to get the timber and once its dries up they leave a barren wasteland.

It is the influx of these kind of people that has made dubai has lose its charm, people on a quick buck mission making hay while the sun is shining.

The Emarati culture is alive. I don't see culture being defined as having a bunch of old buildings like in European cities. You can have a modern city with culture and tradition. Although the younger generation is drifting away slowly.

And don't forget Emarat is truly a multi cultural city. You can live all your life here without really experiencing "Arab"culture. Which is actually diffrent from Emarati cullture
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 11, 2009
Arabic Culture??????? That will be a good idea. The problem is that it was only an idea in the past and remains so in the present and, I am afraid, would be so in future too.
commonman
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Mar 11, 2009
I like Dubai but I feel like everyone's obsessed about money and luxry lifestyle over here...nothing down-to earth.
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 11, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Well I've been here for 33 years, never had a company paid villa or a high paying job. I'm happy and greatfull for what I have and had. But I do have nice cars, well I rather starve before I drive a corolla or a sunny :) . I have and do call it home, but dunno how long will I be alowwed to call it that. Anyways, I loved the old dubai it was "cosy" for lack of a better word. Pace of life was much more relaxed, NO TRAFFIC !!!.

Now its just filled with people who are hear temporarily to milk it as much as they can and leave. They have no real attachment here and its just another money making venture. They don't care what the consequnces are. Just like when a logging company comes into the woods they are there to get the timber and once its dries up they leave a barren wasteland.

It is the influx of these kind of people that has made dubai has lose its charm, people on a quick buck mission making hay while the sun is shining.

The Emarati culture is alive. I don't see culture being defined as having a bunch of old buildings like in European cities. You can have a modern city with culture and tradition. Although the younger generation is drifting away slowly.

And don't forget Emarat is truly a multi cultural city. You can live all your life here without really experiencing "Arab"culture. Which is actually diffrent from Emarati cullture

I hear a lot you say, and maybe I would feel the same if I would have grown up here. But really, why are all these ppl here than in the first place? Never has anyone in the world heard about Dubai until they started their mega marketing campaign.

Dubai knew very well how to play the media and papers world-wide to seek attention and especially, seek people. Now they are here as wanted.

So what do you expect and who's responsibility is it in the first place?

Chicken vs. Egg? I don't think so. IMO Dubai clearly wanted it that way.
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 12, 2009
naruto wrote:
Humbleman wrote:Meshetitor, my friend.

SUDAN still has that Arabic characteristic preserve..KSA is more preserved than any other country in the world..why dont she go there..

this girl knows how to chose her target

ha ha........very sacarstic!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 28, 2009
Well, dubai looks have changed in a lot over the coming years.. more than that i feel its the people who have changed more than the city..
immortal01
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk