Gilad Shalit Faces His Sixth Yom Kippur In Captivity

Topic locked
Gilad Shalit Faces His Sixth Yom Kippur in Captivity Oct 07, 2011
The parents of the captured IDF soldier Gilad Shalit have sent him a video message.

Gilad Shalit was abducted by Hamas in a cross-border raid on June 25, 2006. He has been held by Hamas since then without any contact from his family or visits from the International Committee of the Red Cross or any other humanitarian organization. This is his sixth Yom Kippur in captivity.

My prayers go out to this soldier and hope that he is reunited with his family some day soon.

http://blogs.forward.com/the-shmooze/144058/

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Gilad Shalit Faces His Sixth Yom Kippur In Captivity Oct 07, 2011
Red Cross not being able to visit him, is a grave breach of international law. You won't see any condemnation from the pro-Pali camp though, who obviously only wave the international law when jews are concerned. Hamas used to have demonstrations mocking his mother, yeah I know very sick. Even a ring tone was released once in Gaza with Galid's mother begging for her son. Psycho's!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Gilad Shalit Faces His Sixth Yom Kippur in Captivity Oct 07, 2011
^Really? No condemnation from those who oppose Israel's Military Occupation?

You have a short memory FD. When Shalit was captured we discussed the taking and holding of hostages and I stated then, and I continue to believe now, that hostage taking is counter productive and I condemned it. I condemn Hamas and Hezbollah's hostage taking and Israel's kidnapping, hostage holding and indeed assassinations.

Indeed, it appears you have this lapse in memory every so often. Here's another time I had to remind you of reality - back in 2009:

Kidnapping is illegal. Holding people hostage is illegal. Hamas is in violation of International Law - as well as doing something I don't approve of. I'm sure Hamas may argue that Shalit is a prisoner of war or an 'enemy combatant' - but to me he is a hostage, purely because they want to exchange him for hundreds of Palestinians being similarly held hostage by Israel.

See - when denouncing injustices, one shouldn't look at the perpetrator's religion.

dubai-politics-talk/palestine-push-for-independence-t39413-120.html

The conditions for Shalit's release have been known for a very long time now - Israel should exchange it's hostages and prisoners for Shalit and be done with it.

B'tselem show that Israel holds far more hostages than Palestinians:
http://www.btselem.org/administrative_detention

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Flying Dutchman wrote:Red Cross not being able to visit him, is a grave breach of international law. You won't see any condemnation from the pro-Pali camp though, who obviously only wave the international law when jews are concerned. Hamas used to have demonstrations mocking his mother, yeah I know very sick. Even a ring tone was released once in Gaza with Galid's mother begging for her son. Psycho's!

You are right FD - waived when jews are concerned - organizations may condemn Israel for their atrocities against the Palestinians, but nothing is every done, giving Israel license to continue breaching international laws. Israel has breached international law every which way that could be imagined. They invented the process.

It is claimed that he is well treated. I don't think Israel can make the same claim regarding the hundreds upon hundreds of innocent Palestinians held in Israeli jails (including children). http://www.addameer.org/detention/children.html

The treatment inside a jail is probably just a tad worse compared to the treatment Palestinians who haven't been "arrested" have learned to live with.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Gee, Shafique, not everyting is about YOU!

BB, are you claiming Shalit is well treated, while the RC is not able to visit him? Strange reasoning. Pali's are known to get a very good education in Israeli prison, and terrorists are not innocent, you know.

About international law, the latest example of the raid on the flotilla just shows how wrong activists can be, as it was within international law in the end.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

FD - you're the one who said:

You won't see any condemnation from the pro-Pali camp though

So, I thought I'd correct you.

BTW - do you have evidence that he's not being treated as well as Israel's hostages and prisoners?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

His family cannot see him. Duh!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

So, you do think that the Israeli hostages and prisoners are being treated better - I salute your loyalty. I agree that the hostage takers aren't allowing access to him - and I guess they are citing security reasons.

It is very little comfort for the hostages and prisoners that the Israeli side is being open with their captivity.

An exchange will bring joy to the families of Shalit and the many Palestinian families affected - don't you think?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

It is very little comfort for the hostages and prisoners that the Israeli side is being open with their captivity.

Which hostages are those?

It is particularly cruel that he Gilas Shalit is not allowed any contact with his family. I entirely understand how his poor mother feels.
Bethsmum

Flying Dutchman wrote:Gee, Shafique, not everyting is about YOU!

BB, are you claiming Shalit is well treated, while the RC is not able to visit him? Strange reasoning. Pali's are known to get a very good education in Israeli prison, and terrorists are not innocent, you know.

About international law, the latest example of the raid on the flotilla just shows how wrong activists can be, as it was within international law in the end.

I guess the education the Palestinians get in the Israeli prison is how to treat a prisoner. :D Are you saying that EVERY Palestinian jailed in Israel is a terrorist? Is that because Israel says so or because you know that for absolute fact?

According to the UN Council Israel violated international law. And once again Israel got a pass go on another violation.

I just saw the movie "The Debt", which I enjoyed tremendously. It was about the Moussad hunting down a Nazi to bring him to trial for his participation in the Holocaust. I couldn't help to wonder if that could be something that could happen in the future, except it will be Palestinians hunting down Israelis. The world is already hunting down the terrorists, so it would seem logical that they hunt down those Israelis who killed thousands of Palestinians, or at the very least ordered it to be done.

As the Nazis paid for their crimes against humanity FD, so will the Israelis.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

BB, yoh, focus, this thread is about a Hamas war crime.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

^And the focus is also on the fact that Shalit could have been released years ago if the Israelis had agreed to the requested exchange of hostages and prisoners. It happened in Lebanon, so the Israelis don't have a moral issue against exchanging it's hostages.

Ultimately though - the issue of the capture of one soldier of the Occupying Force and the offer to exchange him for Palestinians held by Israel shows that the issue is still the Military Occupation.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Gilad Shalit is a soldier from the IDF which is the military force of the State of Israel.

He is not a pawn to be swopped for a bunch of terrorists.

Hamas continues to demand from Israel the release of 1,000 Palestinian prisoners in exchange for one Israeli sergeant, Galid Schalit. Hamas captured Schalit during a cross-border battle in 2006.
Bethsmum

I see a foot inching ever so close to that mouth. Any bets by the end of the day it will be planted firmly in ?
desertdudeshj

:D

As I said BM - Israel doesn't have a moral problem with exchanging its hostages and prisoners for captured soldiers - it did so in Lebanon after Hezbollah captured 2 soldiers in 2006 and immediately offered to exchange them for prisoners. Then it took Israel 2 years and a failed war before it made the exchange Hezbollah offered straight away.

Why Shalit is not worth exchanging is a question for the Israeli authorities. Israelis themselves are mostly in favour:
Hamas’s demands and release 1,000 Palestinian prisoners, who include all imprisoned women and children.

Jewish settlers also rallied in front of Netanyahu’s home in Jerusalem, where Shalit’s mother declared that a swap deal with Hamas was the only way to secure her son’s release.

A recent poll found that most Israelis support the prisoner deal with Hamas. Israel’s war minister Ehud Barack also supports the deal, but Netanyahu has been unwavering in his initial offer.

http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/ ... se-shalit/

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Why Shalit is not worth exchanging is a question for the Israeli authorities. Israelis themselves are mostly in favour:

So now you're a spokesman for Israelis?

Hamas continues to demand from Israel the release of 1,000 Palestinian prisoners in exchange for one Israeli sergeant, Galid Schalit. Hamas captured Schalit during a cross-border battle in 2006.

Yes, that seems a fair swop! 1000 terrorists for an Israeli soldier.
I wouldn't even expect my own Government to give into that blackmail. I bet Gilad Shalit wouldn't want it either.
Let 1000 terrorists back on the streets. No, I don't think so.

I see a foot inching ever so close to that mouth. Any bets by the end of the day it will be planted firmly in ?

Did somebody trump?
Bethsmum

Re: Gilad Shalit Faces His Sixth Yom Kippur In Captivity Oct 08, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote: breach of international law.

WOW - now you want international law to apply? Make your mind up.
You pathetic bum bandit, try and be consistently wrong at least.
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Gilad Shalit Faces His Sixth Yom Kippur in Captivity Oct 08, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:

So now you're a spokesman for Israelis?

:roll:

I was referring to a fact. That fact was highlighted in red - please re-read the post and stop embarrassing yourself. (You'll see that Shalit's mother and the majority of Israelis disagree with you)

Bethsmum wrote:

Yes, that seems a fair swop! 1000 terrorists for an Israeli soldier.

Again, you're quoting yourself and not what I quoted""
Hamas’s demands and release 1,000 Palestinian prisoners, who include all imprisoned women and children.

Majority of Israelis want this. Shalit's mum wants this.

BM doesn't want it. Nettie doesn't want it. Shalit and the Palestinians remain hostages and prisoners.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I was referring to a fact. That fact was highlighted in red - please re-read the post and stop embarrassing yourself. (You'll see that Shalit's mother and the majority of Israelis disagree with you)

You were referring to 'a fact' from
http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/ ... se-shalit/

Oh I see, yes, that's a very reliable source you've got there sunshine.

It's hardly surprising that Gilad's mother doesn't agree that swopping murders and terrorists for her son is unreasonable. She is his mother after all, and show me a mother who doesn't want her child home and safe?

To take the words right out of your mouth, FAIL.
Bethsmum

arabs.waving.entrails.butchered.israelis.ramallah.jpg
arabs.waving.entrails.butchered.israelis.ramallah.jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 1609 times

Since we are posting clips and stuff. Above pic is the most gruesome I have seen. An Israeli reservist was lynched in Ramallah. A big crowd went nuts. Afterwards the intestines of the soldier were taken out of his body and shown in the streets. I'd say its pretty sick and a show of their mentality.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Why do loons always react violently and change the subject when presented with facts which contradict their fantasies?

BM just doesn't want to believe that the majority of Israelis are in favour of Shalit being exchanged for hostages and prisoners being held by Israel, including women and children.

FD is still trying to demonise a whole population to cover up the fact that Shalit's release could have happened years ago.

A lynch mob is extremely unpleasant and graphic. No doubt. But more distasteful is when it is used to demonise a whole people who are living under Military occupation. No shame, but predictable.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

A lynch mob is extremely unpleasant and graphic. No doubt. But more distasteful is when it is used to demonise a whole people who are living under Military occupation. No shame, but predictable.

Act like animals and expect to be treated as such.

Just saying...
Bethsmum

Don't Jews kill Jews?

Wasn't Yitzak Rabin killed by a Jew? as he worked towards peace with Palestine.

The assassination of Yitzhak Rabin took place on November 4, 1995 (12th of Marcheshvan, 5756 on the Hebrew Calendar) at 21:30, at the end of a rally in support of the Oslo Accords at the Kings of Israel Square in Tel Aviv. The assassin, Yigal Amir, a far-right-wing religious Zionist strenuously opposed Rabin's peace initiative and particularly the signing of the Oslo Accords.

It is reported that he killed Rabin at the urging of rabbis. It was also noted that the Shin Bet was negligent in protecting Rabin in spite of the fact that they had information that harm might come to him.

-- Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:01 pm --

Bethsmum wrote:

Act like animals and expect to be treated as such.

Just saying...

A caged animal that is abused , upon release is not a tamed animal but a vicious animal.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

^But surely "the cage is a luxurious cage with olympic swimming pools and gourmet restaurants... and the prison wardens shower flower petals, not bullets into the cage".. :roll:

But I'm glad it is now clear - Shalit could have been released years ago if the Israelis had done what the majority of Israelis want - the prisoner/hostage exchange.

Does no fanbois really question why women and children are on the list of Palestinians to be released?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

But I'm glad it is now clear - Shalit could have been released years ago if the Israelis had done what the majority of Israelis want - the prisoner/hostage exchange.

Do the Israelis realise that you are their unelected spokesperson?
Do you have a mandate to speak on behalf of them, sunshine?
Bethsmum

And you wonder why I have to keep repeating things. :roll:

Just because you don't want to believe the fact that the majority of Israelis disagree with you.. that's your problem, not mine.
63% of Israeli Jews support swap for Shalit's return which would include prisoners that have committed murder.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/ne ... t-1.368791

But regardless - the fact still remains, had the Israelis exchanged the prisoners (like I suspect they will eventually) - Shalit would have been with his Mum years ago.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

You keep repeating that you have a mandate to speak on behalf of the Israelis.
I've yet to see proof of this.
I wonder if I should start speaking on behalf of the Palestinians?
That could be interesting.
Bethsmum

I keep repeating a fact that the majority of Israelis want the prisoner exchange.

You do realise that 63% is a majority, don't you?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

63% of the chosen few?

You stupid boy.
Bethsmum

Re: Gilad Shalit Faces His Sixth Yom Kippur In Captivity Oct 09, 2011
:D

So I'm the one who is stupid because I stated a fact that the majority of Israelis want the prisoner/hostage exchange.

I think the penny dropped that 63% is indeed 'a majority'. Did you come to this conclusion by yourself, or did someone help you with the concept?

Anyway - lack of comprehension and maths skills aside - the point is that Shalit could have been released years ago along with the women and children being held by Israel. Israel is the one not going through with this exchange.

63% of Shalit's fellow Israeli Jews want him out by this means. BM disagrees with them, and fantasises that I'm stupid for stating this. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk