Gender Selective Abotions - India

Topic locked
Gender selective abotions - India May 27, 2011
India Abortions Of Girls On The Rise: Study

NEW DELHI — More and more Indian families with one girl are aborting subsequent pregnancies when prenatal tests show another female is on the way, according to a new study.

The decline in the number of girls is more pronounced in richer and better educated households, according to research published Tuesday in the medical journal Lancet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/2 ... 66067.html

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Gender selective abotions - India May 28, 2011
Just horrible. It's the same in China, where families are only allowed one child, but I don't think parents are allowed to be told the s.e.x of the child before birth, because of the number of abortions of girls. Trouble is, these nations will end up being male biased societies - where are the women they expect them to marry later on? As usual people aren't thinknig long term.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Gender selective abotions - India May 28, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:Just horrible. It's the same in China, where families are only allowed one child, but I don't think parents are allowed to be told the s.e.x of the child before birth, because of the number of abortions of girls. Trouble is, these nations will end up being male biased societies - where are the women they expect them to marry later on? As usual people aren't thinknig long term.

The government might step in to prevent this.

But I don't know if they ever will or if it will have any effect.
event horizon

Re: Gender Selective Abotions - India May 29, 2011
I think I posted a thread on this before. It is so depressing :(

The war on baby girls: Gendercide http://www.economist.com/node/15606229
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Gender selective abotions - India May 29, 2011
wow - guess we going to have shortage of girls/women in India than???
MotionComputing
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Gender selective abotions - India May 30, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:Just horrible. It's the same in China, where families are only allowed one child, but I don't think parents are allowed to be told the s.e.x of the child before birth, because of the number of abortions of girls. Trouble is, these nations will end up being male biased societies - where are the women they expect them to marry later on? As usual people aren't thinknig long term.

With over a billion people around, families have no reason for two kids in the first place :shock:

Besides what exactly is a male biased society? And how exactly will Indian societies end up male biased? For the record, India's most powerful across all spheres with the exception of the army are all women.

To be honest though I wouldn't mind a "male biased society", I'm tired of Indian women bullying me around :lol: :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Misery Called Life wrote:....... I'm tired of Indian women bullying me around :lol: :D

Grow a pair of b**ls, or go there 'pointing to the top of Burj Khalifa' and take a running jump!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
zonker
BANNED

It's basically committing female genocide! A male biased society? Exactly as it sounds - more men than women! You might not see the difference in the first couple of generations, but down the line it could be devastating. So men will have to look to other nationalities for their wives.

Plus what happens in a 'one-child' society, where something happens to that only child? Are couples then banned from having another baby?

Bear in mind that in India, BIG families are the norm and if all the children are boys, it's not a good thing. People shouldn't accept or destroy a baby because of it's gender.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Gender Selective Abotions - India May 30, 2011
MCL, in the article I posted above it states the problems associated with female gendercide.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

i guess we can expect more puffters coming out of India :D

no wonder they are desperate... poor sods.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Chocoholic wrote:It's basically committing female genocide! A male biased society? Exactly as it sounds - more men than women! You might not see the difference in the first couple of generations, but down the line it could be devastating. So men will have to look to other nationalities for their wives.

Plus what happens in a 'one-child' society, where something happens to that only child? Are couples then banned from having another baby?

Bear in mind that in India, BIG families are the norm and if all the children are boys, it's not a good thing. People shouldn't accept or destroy a baby because of it's gender.

I take it you're pro-life?
event horizon

Has nothing to do with it! Aborting a child for no other reason, other than it's not the desired gender is wrong on so many levels.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

So what you're saying is sometimes women can have abortions and sometimes they can't?

But ultimately, a woman's right to abort is based on how valid her motives are.

What about her body, her choice?
event horizon

As I said I'm NOT going into that! Aborting a healthy child just because it's the wrong gender is WRONG!

I won't be drawn on this any further so stop asking!

Plus once again, you fail to see the BIG issue, which is these societies will be filled with men, which will have a detrimental effect on the future.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

This problem is a cultural one , Something to do with the status of women in INDIAN society , Ofcourse as you can see thru BOLLYWOOD , women are just pieces of meat , nothing more
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:This problem is a cultural one , Something to do with the status of women in INDIAN society , Ofcourse as you can see thru BOLLYWOOD , women are just pieces of meat , nothing more

Yes and I suspect it's not really the woman's 'decision' in these matters either. I wonder how many are 'forced' abortions?!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

It does matter if you're pro-choice or pro-life.

If you're pro-life, then what's happening in India and China does not affect your overall beliefs regarding abortion.

But if you're pro-choice - and are against women choosing to abort the unborn because they are girls - then your logic is kinked.

It would be hypocritical to say you support a woman's right to choose, but only when you agree with her motives.
event horizon

Chocoholic wrote:
zubber wrote:This problem is a cultural one , Something to do with the status of women in INDIAN society , Ofcourse as you can see thru BOLLYWOOD , women are just pieces of meat , nothing more

Yes and I suspect it's not really the woman's 'decision' in these matters either. I wonder how many are 'forced' abortions?!

Haha silly chocs , Women in INDIA are not allowed to make their own decisions , that is taken care of by the father , mother or the husband , Note that these practices are restricted to certain religions
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

event horizon wrote:It does matter if you're pro-choice or pro-life.

If you're pro-life, then what's happening in India and China does not affect your overall beliefs regarding abortion.

But if you're pro-choice - and are against women choosing to abort the unborn because they are girls - then your logic is kinked.

It would be hypocritical to say you support a woman's right to choose, but only when you agree with her motives.

Once again you only see things in black and white, there are many many grey areas! Your logic is 'kinked' and you'll never 'get it'.

You cannot compare aborting a child just because of its gender, to having to make the decision over a child which is terribly deformed, or to carry the pregnancy to term which would put the mothers life at risk!

As I said I will NOT discuss this further with you. For a start you're NOT a WOMAN - so you cannot comprehend the decisions we have to make with regard to this!

-- Mon May 30, 2011 9:52 pm --

zubber wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Haha silly chocs , Women in INDIA are not allowed to make their own decisions , that is taken care of by the father , mother or the husband , Note that these practices are restricted to certain religions

Silly me, of course what was I thinking!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Gender selective abotions - India May 31, 2011
India is a huge country with way too many diverse groups of people. To bracket all of em as one would be stupid. Now where I come from girl or boy is really no issue whatsoever.

But unfortunately I cannot deny that there may be certain groups of people (who may actually be in large numbers) who would indulge is gender discrimination.
The fact of the matter simply is that across a few states there is severe gender disparity. These states generally have large populations of poor and illiterate people.
And well one can only hope with education they may see the error of their ways.

It would be interesting to note how those states with skewed male:female ratios, will fare.

I'd just like to add one bit though, the female:male ratio is 940:1000. So for now we're fine. But compare that with western countries who seem to be experiencing a manifold increase in their populations via immigration, where most of these immigrants are actually males!!!

What's shocking though is that in the Indian 0-6 age groups the ratio stands at 914:1000.I hope though that since the age group is so young there will be possible rectification of numbers. So in a nut shell, unless there is a drastic rectification the next generation of Indian kids are pretty much already screwed :shock: :shock: :x .

http://censusindia.gov.in/2011-prov-res ... lance.html
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Misery Called Life wrote:I'd just like to add one bit though, the female:male ratio is 940:1000.

And the Indian-Hordes shall come and steal women of every nation, willingly or unwillingly !!!
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Chocoholic wrote:
event horizon wrote:It does matter if you're pro-choice or pro-life.

Once again you only see things in black and white, there are many many grey areas! Your logic is 'kinked' and you'll never 'get it'.

You cannot compare aborting a child just because of its gender, to having to make the decision over a child which is terribly deformed, or to carry the pregnancy to term which would put the mothers life at risk!

As I said I will NOT discuss this further with you. For a start you're NOT a WOMAN - so you cannot comprehend the decisions we have to make with regard to this!

So you're saying a child born with an illness - such as Down's Syndrome - won't affect the boyfriend or father?

Anyways, there is a contradiction if you believe that a woman has a right to choose - 'her body, her choice' - (at least with respect to on demand abortions) but are against abortions of girls in India and China.

What you're effectively saying is that women do not have the right to choose if you don't agree with their reasoning.

And just as you've disqualified men from having a say in this matter, I could up the ante, as it were, and say any woman who hasn't been pregnant does not have a right to say who can or can't have an abortion.

Not that I actually believe that - just as I can't say non-rapists don't have a say in laws regarding rape - but I am applying your own logic.
event horizon

Re: Gender Selective Abotions - India May 31, 2011
The moral of the story is not that abortion should be abolished, but that the value of girls needs to be raised so that couples do not choose to abort female babies.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

And in the meanwhile, would you support taking away their right to choose?

What happens if they still make the same decisions as before?

What happens to 'my body, my choice'?

Oh, and do you support any and all 'education' programs relating to abortion that anyone could propose?
event horizon

EH, stop going round in circles and bringing other unrelated issues into it. We are simply talking about certain sections of certain societies aborting girls, simply because boys are favoured - please stay on topic and stop trying to take it another direction, which is not what we're talking about.

As we have said time and time again, which fails to go into your pea brain, aborting a child just because it is not of the favoured gender is WRONG and as you can see by MCL's info will cause major issues later on in certain places.

What do you not understand about that?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

What happened to her body, her choice?

Who are you to say a woman can't decide what she wants to do with her body because you disagree with her reasoning?
event horizon

Eh, you're sounding like a broken record. IY don't get it, never will by the looks of things. Walking away now :roll:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

event horizon wrote:What happened to her body, her choice?

Who are you to say a woman can't decide what she wants to do with her body because you disagree with her reasoning?

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a woman to be able to choose when, how and to what she gives birth to.

Nobody has the right to tell any woman what to do with her body.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
event horizon wrote:What happened to her body, her choice?

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a woman to be able to choose when, how and to what she gives birth to.

But what about when 'society' pressurizes that woman into aborting a healthy baby girl? That is the issue here!

That's not what I call having a choice and that's the point you keep missing time and time again!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:I think it's perfectly reasonable for a woman to be able to choose when, how and to what she gives birth to.

But what about when 'society' pressurizes that woman into aborting a healthy baby girl? That is the issue here!

That's not what I call having a choice and that's the point you keep missing time and time again!

Seeing as it's the first time I've posted on this topic I can't see how I'm missing your point time and time again.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk