Forced Marriages To Be Outlawed In The UK

Topic locked
Forced Marriages To Be Outlawed In The UK Jun 08, 2012
It is reported that 8000 young people, mainly female, are forced into marriage in the UK, every year.

A former MP who campaigned to outlaw forced marriages has welcomed new laws, due to be announced tomorrow, which will see parents who force their children to marry face jail.

Ann Cryer, who during her 13 years as Keighley’s Labour MP, helped countless people battling forced marriages, has said the move should deter families from forcing children into marriage.

Home Secretary Theresa May was expected to announce plans to make forced marriage an offence tomorrow following warnings that up to 8,000 young women a year are forced into marriages without their consent.

Mrs Cryer, who brought the issue to the attention of Parliament and helped steer the Forced Marriages and Civil Protection Act 2008 through the Commons, said the law needed to work alongside the Forced Marriage Civil Protection Orders and the Forced Marriage Unit.

She said: “My message to families who are still forcing girls into marriage is that it’s totally un-Islamic. They shouldn’t be doing it and therefore if you persist in doing it there’s a chance you can end up in prison due to this new measure.”

Bradford East Lib Dem MP David Ward said the “overdue” law built on work by Mrs Cryer, who he had consulted during his time as an MP after similar cases had been brought to his attention in his own constituency.

Shipley Tory MP Philip Davies said: “As far as I’m concerned it’s a very simple equation that forcing people to marry is an appalling thing to do.”

Bradford South Labour MP Gerry Sutcliffe said: “I welcome the news, it builds on the campaign that Ann Cryer started.”

Bradford West Respect MP George Galloway said: “Forced marriage ought to be illegal under British law as it is already illegal under Islamic law.” The Home Office consultation, which closed in March, was launched at the request of Prime Minister David Cameron.

The law is expected to distinguish between arranged marriages and forced marriages where there is no consent. Mrs May is also expected to announce a £500,000 fund to help schools and other agencies spot forced marriages.

A Government advertising campaign will also aim to highlight the right to choose who you marry.

Rumplestiliskin
BANNED

Re: Forced Marriages To Be Outlawed In The UK Jun 08, 2012
She said: “My message to families who are still forcing girls into marriage is that it’s totally un-Islamic. They shouldn’t be doing it and therefore if you persist in doing it there’s a chance you can end up in prison due to this new measure.”

I totally agree. This campaign has full support of the Muslim community in the UK - a lot of work is being done via the mosques etc.

Indeed, this was announced in October last year, and herve (pretending to be a woman) posted the news:

UK to consider criminalizing forced marriages
LONDON (AP) — Britain says it is considering criminalizing the act of forcing someone into a marriage under moves to tighten immigration policy.
Prime Minister David Cameron said Monday that ministers would examine whether existing law could be changed.
Currently, a potential victim can apply to a civil court for a protection order — and anyone breaching that order can be jailed for two years.
Cameron said Britain should strengthen its response to the issue and draft a new criminal offense.
He also pledged to introduce stricter tests for marriage visas, aimed at weeding out immigrants who conduct sham weddings to win access to the U.K.
Britain is seeking to cut net immigration from about 196,000 to below 100,000 by 2015.

shafique wrote:It sounds like a sensible move to me. The devil will be in the detail - but I'm sure this will get the support of Imams etc as well. ..

philosophy-dubai/forced-mariage-stoped-australian-court-t47603-30.html#p390707

As forced marriages, s.ex outside marriage (and paedophillia) are against pretty much all religions, and especially for me because Islam does not allow these, and even against all moral codes, I continue to support the moves.

The thread above contains classic examples of why the Islamophobes were banned - deliberate distortion of facts and major failures in comprehension.

Cheers,
Shafique

PS:
desertdudesj wrote:I'm all for it, this law should have come into effect a long time back and more countries should adopt it. And K is also correct just like honour killings not matter how much the phobes would like it to be its not a muslim "thing" Its a cultral thing and indeed a highly shamefull and criminal act.

philosophy-dubai/forced-mariage-stoped-australian-court-t47603-45.html#p390788
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I'm sure everyone applaudes your moral stance but this topic isn't about you, it's about the 8000 people forced into marriage in the UK every year.

shafique wrote:The thread above contains classic examples of why the Islamophobes were banned - deliberate distortion of facts and major failures in comprehension.

Then I suggest you complain the paper the article was taken from.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _tomorrow/
Rumplestiliskin
BANNED

BM - your continued failure to understand the Queen's English astounds. You should take the time you've been given by the ban to revisit your comprehension skills course you boasted going on.

Start by re-reading my quote above and then realise how silly you look asking me to complain to a paper about the deliberate distortion of facts and major failures of comprehension by you and the other banned persons in that earlier thread. :roll: (Learn the distinction between a thread and a post!! :roll: )

Here endeth the lesson.

But thank you for the original post, as I stated I agree with the quote you gave about forced marriages having nothing to do with Islam. I suspect you hadn't read the article (or perhaps you didn't understand the quote) befor you cut and pasted here. I doubt whether you've changed your views about Muslims.... but thanks for the quote anyway.

Given that there's no disagreement on the proposed law.. I expect you'll be looking for another topic to troll/bait. ;)

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

£500,000 fund wtf are the Brits up to now... Cousin marriages, Forced marriage they have been living this way for years

That £500,000 fund would be better used for other things they will not thank you Mr Cameron and they will call you names like Islamophobe
crusader 1
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Forced Marriages To Be Outlawed In The UK Jun 09, 2012
Another racism thread!!
Wow!! :shock:
Ok, forced marriage is BAD 8)
We got your point.
And it seems the Muslims on this forum AGREE WITH YOU!!
So whats the issue next?? Race, of course!
You will not be satisfied till you have dragged some races into it and indulged in a lot of name calling.
Hey what kind of satisfaction do you lot get from this??
I pray we dont get the Brit racism in Dubai!!
I'd hate that to happen.
I like the diversity in Dubai :P
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Forced Marriages To Be Outlawed In The UK Jun 10, 2012
She said: “My message to families who are still forcing girls into marriage is that it’s totally un-Islamic.

Does that mean most involved in forced marriages are non-Muslim; especially when the UK is 97% non-Muslim?
Shade
BANNED

Re: Forced Marriages To Be Outlawed In The UK Jun 10, 2012
Rumplestiliskin wrote:I'm sure everyone applaudes your moral stance but this topic isn't about you, it's about the 8000 people forced into marriage in the UK every year.

shafique wrote:The thread above contains classic examples of why the Islamophobes were banned - deliberate distortion of facts and major failures in comprehension.

Then I suggest you complain the paper the article was taken from.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _tomorrow/

Lol. It is about him, it all is.
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

Re: Forced Marriages To Be Outlawed In The UK Jun 11, 2012
Rumplestiliskin
BANNED

Re: Forced Marriages To Be Outlawed In The UK Jun 11, 2012
Somebody's high school education is failing them. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Forced Marriages To Be Outlawed In The UK Jun 12, 2012