Canada To Revoke Citizenship Of 1,800 Citizens

Topic locked
Canada to revoke citizenship of 1,800 citizens Jul 21, 2011
Ottawa intends to revoke the citizenship of 1,800 people it believes obtained their status through fraudulent means, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney says.

The decision to revoke citizenship is rare, and a large-scale crackdown such as this one appears to be unprecedented. Fewer than 70 citizenships have ever been revoked since the Citizenship Act was passed in 1947.

The people were identified through investigations conducted across the country by police and the Citizenship and Immigration Department. People identified by the investigations will receive letters informing them of the government's decision.
Most of the 1,800 individuals are believed to be living outside Canada, Kenney told reporters on Wednesday in Toronto.

The minister said the move sends a "very clear message" to anyone who thinks of abusing Canada's citizenship system.

"We are in the process of notifying them that we will revoke their citizenship because Canadian citizenship is not for sale," Kenney said.

"We believe that the vast majority of new Canadian citizens respect our laws. There is a small but not insignificant number who hired crooked consultants to obtain fake proof of residency."

Kurland said the move will most likely affect individuals from the Middle East and Persian Gulf countries, as well as China.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... visas.html

I think this is great, because people will think twice about trying to obtain citizenship illegally if they know this can happen to them.

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Canada To Revoke Citizenship Of 1,800 Citizens Jul 21, 2011
Its about time I say. Canada was far too generous in the past. I haven't met a Lebanese who isn't a Canadian or doesn't have one in the family !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Yep! Last time Israel attacked Lebanon there were 40,000 "Canadians" asking to be evacuated.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

hmmm, funny, a Syrian Canadian threatened to report me to the Canadian embassy the other day because he calls my number and accuses me of hitting on his girlfriend, he didn't realize he had dialed the wrong number, but i kept going with it as he also told me that he was a kung fo champion and threatened to beat me up. i never had such fun in a long time lol
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

:lol: :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Canada to revoke citizenship of 1,800 citizens Jul 21, 2011
It looks like nobody will attend friday prayers in public schools anymore
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Canada to revoke citizenship of 1,800 citizens Jul 21, 2011
Good for them! So many people here go for Canadian citizenship, it's ridiculous. The UK should take not of this as well.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Canada to revoke citizenship of 1,800 citizens Jul 22, 2011
Damn, I was denied Canadian residence a few years back.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk