Beware The Jewish Brotherhood

Topic locked
Beware the Jewish Brotherhood Feb 28, 2011
Not my title - but that taken from today's Israeli newspaper Haaretz. The frequency of articles on the dangers being faced from extremists with racist views and powers to impose these views shows the real concern there is over the issue in Israel.

Compared with manufactured fears that seem to only exist in the blog-o-sphere and in bible training camps, these real issues are worrying.

The usual excuses of dismissing these facts and concerns as 'anti-semitic' or 'leftist' etc doesn't actually change the facts on the ground. Religious extremists in Israel are growing in strength and have some dangerous views.

It warns:
Instead of worrying about the Muslim Brotherhood in the Arab states, we should start fearing the Jewish Brotherhood that is about to take over, and start acting accordingly.

We should beware of the Jewish Brotherhood
Jews and Arabs still get along in Haifa. But if the ultra-Orthodox are taking over the city, the good relations between Jews and Arabs may also be at risk.

By Neri Livneh

The year was 1945 and my father, Sgt. Joseph Weiss, was at the end of a very long stay at the Augusta Victoria hospital in Jerusalem, after suffering a serious injury in a battle fought by his battalion in the British army. It was already known that most of his huge ultra-Orthodox family in Czechoslovakia and Hungary had been was killed in the Holocaust, but he remembered that in Jerusalem, in the Ungarin houses in Mea She'arim, he had relatives.

One sunny Shabbat he took a bicycle and rode to the neighborhood for a visit, his hand still entirely bandaged. Youths in the neighborhood stoned him, the relatives scolded him for not wearing a skullcap and my father - a yeshiva graduate who had left religion, become a Zionist, immigrated to Palestine and wanted to fight Hitler - cultivated an abhorrence of Jerusalem that lasted until his dying day. To him it resembled a stronghold of "strictly religious, fanatical and parasitic haters of Israel," or a "safari." He chose to move and went to live in Haifa, a city that was then free, multinational, and which, over the years and to this very day, is still considered by many to be the most sane and secular city in Israel, because it even has buses that run on Shabbat.

For a while now readers have been writing me that the neighborhood where I grew up, Neveh Sha'anan, which had a clearly middle-class, blue-collar character, is becoming more ultra-Orthodox. In the Neveh Sha'anan of my childhood there was only one religious school where boys and girls studied together in the same classes. Today, the high school where my brother studied has become a yeshiva. The building where my family lived has mostly ultra-Orthodox residents. The last time I visited the area I found out that the entire street we lived on, which was once called "municipal employees' housing," has become an ultra-Orthodox area.

It's all a matter of demography, and there's no one to blame for it, but something essential has changed in the relations between ultra-Orthodox and secular Israelis around the country. So much for Jerusalem, which we gave up on a long time ago. We also conceded Beit Shemesh, and never had hopes for Bnei Brak. But we were so preoccupied with Jerusalem and the southern towns that we forgot about the rest of the country.

Once when skullcap-clad people who combined Torah with work were just called "religious," without reference to the sort of materials from which their head-covering was made, and only extremists like those in Jerusalem were called "strictly religious" or "Israel haters" - we, in Haifa as well, could return the glares of the strictly religious boys who spoke Yiddish and had long earlocks, who gazed at us with anthropological interest from behind the fence of Vizhnitz yeshiva as we walked barefoot from Neveh Sha'anan, through Geula Street, where the yeshiva stood, to the pool.

We were their safari, and they were our zoo. Secular people, by the way, were called "free" then. But where has this freedom gone today, even in Haifa? The buses still run on Shabbat and the beaches are full, but what began as one small yeshiva, in an area that was once completely secular, has already spilled over into the whole area. From two large neighborhoods with a tiny ultra-Orthodox island in their midst, parts of Hadar and Neveh Sha'anan have become secular fringes of what is becoming one large ultra-Orthodox enclave.

Jews and Arabs still get along in Haifa. But if the ultra-Orthodox are taking over the city, the good relations between Jews and Arabs may also be at risk. Instead of worrying about the Muslim Brotherhood in the Arab states, we should start fearing the Jewish Brotherhood that is about to take over, and start acting accordingly.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/op ... d-1.346130

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Beware The Jewish Brotherhood Feb 28, 2011
Oy vey, more of your kevetching. :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Beware the Jewish Brotherhood Feb 28, 2011
Beware the Jewish Brotherhood, that's ok to say that but you can't say Muslim Terrorists. Well maybe you can now! :D
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Beware the Jewish Brotherhood Feb 28, 2011
Just use some common sense - how would the world be affected by a 'Jewish Brotherhood' takeover of Israel more than the prevalence of religious extremist politics in the Muslim world?

I mean, some areas of the world's most populous Muslim country, Indonesia, have effectively banned Ahmadis from worship. Certainly these issues should be bigger concerns than a mythical religious takeover in Israel.
event horizon

Re: Beware The Jewish Brotherhood Mar 01, 2011
I continue to be impressed by the number of experts we have on DF.

Please copy me in to your letters of correction to the Israeli media - and let us know whether they take you seriously.

I think the Israelis will point out that the Israeli religious extremists are real, and the issues raised in the OP are real.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Beware the Jewish Brotherhood Mar 01, 2011
LOL at Shafique!
Bethsmum

So says the professor to the students!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

shafique wrote:Please copy me in to your letters of correction to the Israeli media - and let us know whether they take you seriously.

Ha'artz doesn't take other opinions and facts too seriously as has been proven in the past.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

^ Let me translate:

"Haaretz would also fall about laughing at our experts' 'beliefs' about the situation in Israel in regards to this issue."

But I was actually being serious - copy me in to any corrections you want to send to the Israeli media. They should be told if they are as wrong as you think they are.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:^ Let me translate:

No need.

shafique wrote:copy me in to any corrections you want to send to the Israeli media.

What an extreme arrogant remark! No, I will not copy you into my correspondence with Ha'aretz.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I'm still unsure why one need beware the 'Jewish Brotherhood' more than the Islamic politicians and fundamentalists who span an entire globe.

If Israel were to become a theocratic state - not going to happen - she certainly would be indistinguishable from her neighbors.

But hey, why let facts, like opinion polls from the Muslim world, get in the way of a sensationalist story?
event horizon

To Shafique, I don't see a point of brining such a report up here, unless you guys have a record of long live fights about religions stuff... and I am not sure if any of us is knowledgeable enough to represent any religion, but we can discuss ( friendly discussions)

To Everyone else, Shafique was stating a topic he found somewhere, I don't see you defending or discussing the topic more than involving Mooooooslims and Islam in the subject!!!! is it because Shafique is Muslim? so if a Christian brought it up, you would have been attacking Christianity?

and why isn't it in the Religion section :s... grrrr
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

It's not in religion because people wouldn't visit Shaf.

Mahmoud, in all due respect, you need to give yourself time before you get a picture of Shaf. Shaf has a long history. When someone is obsessed with Jews, Islam, terrorism, clearly that person has issues. It has nothing to do with HIM being Muslim. I just got finished responding to a post by Shaf that was extremely flawed, details omitted, and to add to that, blatant lies.

Discussion is fine, as long as other people can have an opinion and not one person thinking there are only two kinds of opinions that count: his and those who agree with him, hence "discussing" topics with him is impossible if you don't share his views.

Give it time Mahmoud, you will come to know what those who have been around for sometime know.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

don't worry BB, I usually take time before I build my opinion in real life, so you can imagine how it can take behind keyboards :) but glad you cared and advised...

But I have to be honest, I have seen some other posts very offensive and actually nothing behind them but just to attack others or religions ( am I right?) and this one I see is one of them..

you have noticed other posts? the have nothing to do with Shaf post rather than talking about other subject, aren't they?

and as I said to Shafique, this doesn't have place here, plus the address is offensive, I wish everybody can read what he posts for clicking submit submit...
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

The past week DF has been going through a makeover Mahmoud. The majority of us are working on making changes. It seems to be coming along because the majority of people are taking a different approach. You can't make people change, they have to be willing to do that themself.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

by the way Shafique, no offence meant, but I was just stating my opinion...applies to every1 else :)
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

Mahmoud, I hope this thread will enlighten you as to the reasons why someone would bring up real instances of religious people taking over the systems of government in a nation vs loon fantasy of the Jews taking over Israel and turning it into a theocratic state.

dubai-politics-talk/foiled-terrorist-plot-real-bomb-t45618.html

In short, hypothetical fantasies of a Jewish takeover gain more traction than *actual* instances of religious extremists taking over in places such as Indonesia.

Hype vs reality.
event horizon

Re: Beware The Jewish Brotherhood Mar 02, 2011
Mahmoud04 wrote:by the way Shafique, no offence meant, but I was just stating my opinion...applies to every1 else :)

Mahmoud - at least you are self-aware enough to separate out your opinion and label it as such. Far too many of us instead just present their opinions as facts.

As for the thread title and what it is doing in Politics (as opposed to religion) - let me explain.

First - the choice of words is taken from the title of the piece in the Israeli newspaper and accurately sums up the message of that piece (it is not a misleading or manufactured title).

Secondly - it is highlighting the real political issues that Israel faces from the growing influence of the religious extremists within Israeli politics.

Thirdly - this thread, and its comments, highlights an inherent hypocrisy amongst many posters. There would be no uproar from them if the words 'Jewish' were replaced by 'Muslim'. Indeed, you can find countless posts on blogs which say exactly that.

It is interesting how the REAL issue of religious extremists in Israel is underplayed or denied. By contrast, I and other Muslims all denounce Muslim extremists (and I've even denounced crimes that have only taken place in over-active imaginations of some bloggers- saying that I would not hesitate to condemn any crime of terrorism or war crime).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Beware the Jewish Brotherhood Mar 02, 2011
Interesting, the second of three targeted Pakistani politicians has been assassinated by extremists. (He was a politician who opposed Pakistan's blasphemy law and became a target)

Again, it speaks volumes that the media/blogs are more focused on a mythical religious takeover by extremist Jews than the real takeover of nations by extremist non-Jews.
event horizon

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk