Banning The Burqa - UKIP's U-turn

Topic locked
Banning the Burqa - UKIP's u-turn Jul 12, 2012
In December last year, the leader of the UK indpendence party, Nigel Farage was interviewed and the subject of the burqa ban was brought up.

He said he was not in favour of a ban despite it being in the manifesto of the party at the last election. Political commentators (such as those on Newsnight and This Week) have said that as UKIP is aiming to go more mainstream and is picking up votes, it is dropping this measure as it feels this will alienate most Britons who may be otherwise inclined to vote for them.

Interesting piece of info that. Of course, the 'you're not really British and we know better' brigade will brand Farage a traitor etc - but facts are facts:

He signalled that he was going to ditch Ukip's policy of banning the burqa. At the last election Ukip was in favour of banning the burqa in public buildings and some private buildings. But Farage, who was not party leader at the 2010 election, said this was a policy he had inherited. It was being reviewed, he said. He was "dubious" about using legislation in this area. "I'm not really in favour of banning the burqa," he said.

Banning the burqa

Q: You have talked about Ukip being a libertarian party. In your book, writing about when you joined the party, you say: "I was a libertarian to my fingertips and would have welcomed the chance to fight for the nation's cross-dressers, swingers, naturists, prostitutes, adult nappy-wearers, consensual cannibals and the like."

A: That's Ukip, isn't it. We have all sorts of people in our party. We've not no prejudice against any of them. And we want the state to butt out.

Q: Well, why are you in favour of banning the burqa then? [In its manifesto at the last election (pdf), Ukip said it would "tackle extremist Islam by banning the burqa or veiled niqab in public buildings and certain private buildings".]

A: Well, I'm not really in favour of banning the burqa. I'm not.

Q: You're on record as saying …

A: On record as saying that if you can't wear a motorcycle helmet in NatWest or a balaclava on the London Underground, then the law should be applied to everyone equally. But have I ever said we should ban people walking down the streets from wearing religious dress or ceremonial dress? Absolutely not.

Q: But would you legislate on the burqa?

A: This is something that to some extent I've inherited. We are going through a major policy review at the moment. I do think everybody being equal before the law is important. But is it the sort of thing we should be legislating for? I'm dubious about that. When you become the leader of a political party, you inherit an awful lot. You can't change it all at the stroke of a pen or overnight.

Q: But at the time of the last election you were defending that position in interviews.

A: I was defending it in exactly the terms I've given: NatWest bank, the London Underground, but not walking down the street.

Q: But in NatWest bank they don't let people in in a motorcycle helmet because it might be an armed robber. Armed robbers tend to be male.

A: Listen, I'm not looking to pick a fight with any ethnic minority in this country at all. Absolutely not.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011 ... sfeed=true

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Banning the Burqa - UKIP's u-turn Jul 12, 2012
Sentiment will quickly change once any easily exploitable loophole is realized.

So far no attempt to address the actual recent issue has been made; it just shows name calling is the last resort of the weak minded.
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Banning The Burqa - UKIP's U-turn Jul 12, 2012
Ooh, is that your latest conspiracy theory?

The above interview actually is after your 'recent issue' in Australia took place.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I'm not the one saying this - it was on This Week that it was mentioned just last week or the week before. To be honest, I didn't read about it at the time he made the u-turn.

But it is interesting that he's choosing to alienate people you insist form the majority of Britons, and who I think are a minority.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

You're in a stroppy mood today. UKIP do a u-turn so as to alienate the majority of Brits and you're in denial. Sigh.

I did say in the OP

Of course, the 'you're not really British and we know better' brigade will brand Farage a traitor etc.

I guess I should have said we'd see some rather weak 'whataboutery' arguments.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I did:
I guess I should have said we'd see some rather weak 'whataboutery' arguments.

Try and keep on topic in future.

Cheers,

Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk