Arrest For Facebook Blasphemy

Topic locked
Arrest for Facebook Blasphemy Oct 01, 2012
Thousands of Christians from around the world complained about a Facebook page, resulting in the police arresting the author of the page for blasphemy and insulting a 'mystical' priest. In Europe. In Greece (I'd like to see the argument that Greeks are uncivilised or savages) ;) ). In 2012. :shock:

Greek police arrest man behind Facebook page satirizing ‘mystical’ priest

A 27-year-old man was arrested in the village of Psahna, Evia, on Monday on suspicion of being behind a Facebook page satirizing a dead Orthodox priest who some faithful believe had uncanny powers of perception.

The suspect, who was not named, is alleged to have maintained the page mocking Father or Elder (Geron) Paisios. The page was named Father Pastitsios after a traditional pasta-based dish.

The 27-year-old is being charged with blasphemy and insulting the late priest, who has become a cult figure among some Orthodox Christians over the past few months after allegedly foreseeing Greece’s economic crisis.

Police said that they made the arrest after “thousands” of complaints about the page from various parts of the world reached the electronic crimes squad.

Critics, however, point out that the police took action a few days after far-right Chrysi Avgi (Golden Dawn) raised the issue in Parliament.

The arrest was heavily criticized on Facebook and other social media as being an unacceptable case of censorship unbefitting a modern European country.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_ar ... 012_462786

(PS I'm posting this just for balance to counter the hype and hysteria of our prolific anti-Muslim hate gang which infests this forum. I personally am with those who don't think he should have been arrested.)

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Arrest for Facebook Blasphemy Oct 01, 2012
Thousands set fire to at least 10 Buddhist temples and 40 homes in anger over a Facebook photo of a burned book before authorities restored order.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 81bfcd1432
rayznack
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk