Slight Problem When Installing New Software

Topic locked
Slight problem when installing new software Aug 28, 2006
Ok good people of DF - I need help (ok, you've all known that a long time!).
Ok, for some reason, when ever I am trying to install stuff on my computer, pop-up screens seem to miss some information. I've included an example below:

Ok, can anyone suggest a solution for me?? I can't even install my Norton System Works (I'm guessing the "tick here" button is off the screen!).
So far, I've tried every different screen size available, and have formatted/re-installed windows twice - so it can't be either of those suggestions!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys

the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 28, 2006
Edit: I need to read. Um... odd problem. You could try tabbing to the button and then pressing the space bar.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 28, 2006
No - that didn't work either :(
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 28, 2006
For alot of these license agreements, the code will wait until you scroll to the bottom of the body of the message and then show the Next screen (An effort to get people to actually read the warning).

I see from your screen shot though that there is no scroll bar, maybe try to get the cursor in the body of the message and hit page down or the down arrow and see if that helps.

Oh and you have something F'd with your pc if you are only getting half visible screens like this you may wish to right click on your desktop and go to properties and play around with the settings, maybe adjust your screen resolution to see if that helps.

Good luck,
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 28, 2006
try scrolling all the way down and the next button or accept will appear
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 28, 2006
Neither of those worked. Tried changing the resolution, as that was my first thought at what the problem could be - but no such luck. As you also spotted, no scroll bar, and you can click inside where the writing is, but you can seem to get it to go "off the screen" or highlight all the text or anything - so I'm still at a loss as to what the solution is!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 28, 2006
is this a laptop or a desktop ? I would try connecting it to another screen and see if you still have the same problem. Since you said you formatted and re-installed windows twice then this is looking like a hardware issue rather than a software one. Very weird though!
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 28, 2006
MaaaD wrote:is this a laptop or a desktop ? I would try connecting it to another screen and see if you still have the same problem. Since you said you formatted and re-installed windows twice then this is looking like a hardware issue rather than a software one. Very weird though!

Not such a bad idea - its a laptop, but I will try plugging into another monitor and see if that works. Its only a problem on some software, and once installed, its never a problem again!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 29, 2006
Norton = TROUBLE
this is most horrible Antivirus program.
Try : AVG, Kaspersky, Panda, NOD32 and many more
NORTON SUCKS
svealien
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 30, 2006
Corporate edition is silent & good
ahamed
Dubai chat master

try these ! Sep 03, 2006
Salamualaikaum every one,

Try to go to safe mode

remove the whole norton products that are installed on your machine because norton is absolutly Rubbish I am affraid !

Then restar your computer and try to install AVG http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-free and click on the link under windows and then install it plus updating your machine.

Make sure your computer is fully up to dated.

Good Luck and hope you sort your problems out

Thank you, Hemin-London
cisco4networking
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 05, 2009
the_zooter wrote:
MaaaD wrote:is this a laptop or a desktop ? I would try connecting it to another screen and see if you still have the same problem. Since you said you formatted and re-installed windows twice then this is looking like a hardware issue rather than a software one. Very weird though!

Not such a bad idea - its a laptop, but I will try plugging into another monitor and see if that works. Its only a problem on some software, and once installed, its never a problem again!

Have you installed previous any other antivirus or norton antivirus itself and this is your next installation? If it does it might be something to do with to remove completely the previous installation registry..

To do this..

Start --> Run --> type regedit (enter) --> look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER --> sub-category software --> under software look for the previous AV software you have installed folder and delete them all

Then restart...after that go back to windows and reinstall and see what you got...

Or previously if you installed norton...can try NORTON removal tools from Norton website..i cannot give the link because not yet allowed ;(. but you can search on google "norton removal tool"
frontier2002
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 16, 2009
Note: this is NOT a Norton issue. (OP used Norton only as an example). The same thing happens with whatever else he is trying to install (or open). I had the same problem few months ago. It was caused by out-of-blue font change ... larger font - not enough room for full text to be displayed.

Don't remember now exactly what I did to fix it but try changing the system font
vertical
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk