AL Shamil DSL Issues Using Aztech Modem

Topic locked
AL Shamil DSL issues using Aztech modem Aug 24, 2006
I hope someone can help me with this issue.

I have the AL Shamil 256k DSL using the Aztech 208u modem. For some reason the modem disconnects at random intervals (Sometimes after 10 mins or 30mins or 60mins or even several hours). I even tried using the drivers at the aztech website, but the problem still persists.

Its really annoying because it interrupts my downloads and is a real hassle while playing online games.

I tried calling up etisalat and they don’t seem to know what the problem is.

Is anyone else experiencing the same?

A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 25, 2006
DSL is sensitive to line noise due to TCP protocols and how they work. The phone line should not bother the connection though. Voice and the data stream work at different frequencies, with the DSL having a greater range since voice utilizes very little of what the phone line is capable of. This is one of the differences between dial-up, which works on the same frequency as voice, and DSL. You may want to check your phone lines though. call Etisalat and have them check your inside/outside lines. Many DSL service providers can route the path incorrectly or have you on a MUX that is just to darn busy, and sell service when customers are slightly out of range.

You could also try moving your computer and/or move your ADSL line and/or remove any other phones on the line. My DSL would drop out every few minutes, but when I moved my computer and strung up the ADSL line so it doesn't touch any other cables, I got PERFECT connection

One red flag came up for me in your comments. Games keep getting interuppted. A company I used to work for blocked ports to try and keep peer-to-peer sharing down. Before they learned how to do it properly, yahoo games were blocked by accident due to some of the port numbers being similar and lack of research. Just ask if they have blocked any use of major P2Ps like LimeWire, kaZaa
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 25, 2006
Nosoup, thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

What I have done is moved the phone line going into the modem as far away as I can from power cables. So far the connection has been up for 4 hrs without any interruptions.

Also etisalat has not blocked any counterstrike ports or bf2 ports. These are the two games I usually play online. What I meant to say was they get interrupted when the modem disconnects.

Thanks again,
A64Venice
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 26, 2006
1stly, it can be a virus. ( i heard it from a friend couple of days ago )/

Secondly, check your modems, idle time & auto disconnect feature, dial on demand features ???? :?
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Nov 03, 2006
Hi All,
After knowing that there could be noise from the power cables, I moved my PC, re-arranged everything so that the phone line is not very near any of the cable. No luck.
It dosconnects now and then. Then when redialling immediately, the modem throws a PPP error. I have to wait for 5 minutes approx to redial and get connected. Had noise been the reason, why should it reconnect ONLY after 5 mnutes. This 5 minutes (or 4 minutes ) is established. I can never re-connect immediately!
Now, where can I download updated drivers for this DSL 208U modem. Tried in Aztec, and couldn't find one. Can somebody please help.
vijark6
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 04, 2006
Driver for Aztech Turbo DSL 208U (Hopefully yours is a Turbo too)

http://www.aztech.com/support_download_ ... ml#dsl208u

Still you can give this a shot, if it doesn't work, you can always reset it back to factory settings and load the driver that came with the modem.
nosoup4u
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk