Data Recovery From Laptop HDD

Topic locked
Data Recovery from Laptop HDD Mar 22, 2006
I know I should probably post this in the technology thread, but here's hoping someone can help.

My laptop HD crashed with a read/write error. The HD has been replaced and the laptop is ready for me to pick up.

However, before they repaired it the service guys gave me the hard disk to see if I could recover any of the data. The IT guys at work are based in Sharjah and won't be able to do anything until a couple of weeks due to urgent projects they are working on.

I can't pick up the laptop without returning the faulty HDD.

Can anyone help me see if the disk can be read... it might just be that it is not bootable, but that it can be read for data - so just needs setting up as a slave drive. If it is a more serious fault with the HDD, I'll just return it and wave bye bye to the non-backed up data (mostly some photos and a couple of downloaded movies we haven't watched yet).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 22, 2006
Hi Bro,

I think there are many toolz available to go for. but it all depends on how bad is the situation on your HD.

one of the tools is:

The Hard Drive Mechanic, (The Mechanic), Does not undelete files or fix the Blue Screen of Death. The Mechanic is a crash recovery utility for PCs that will not boot up or for drives that have become inaccessible.

If this is your situation, you don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars to fix your problem. The Mechanic, which is a step-by-step diagnostic and repair utility, has been fixing problems like yours since 1997.

Features:
Disk Boot Failure
Invalid Drive Specification error
An Invalid Media error
Corrupted Partition
A Missing Operating System
A Formatted Hard Drive
Virus Damaged File System
FAT 32 and NTFS
Home page and more info:
Code:

http://www.highergroundsoftware.com/products2.htm

you can also download the FULL version here:
http://www.transferbigfiles.com/Downloa ... 7e7b5597f6

Salamz
Intimacy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 22, 2006
Shaf

may not be of much use but maybe worth a try, Dell has a main office in Internet City, maybe give them a ring ?

or maybe worth going to visit "computer street" one evening ?

cheers
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 22, 2006
Arnie - a walk down computer street is something I didn't consider! Good thinking batman.

The laptop was repaired by Dell representatives (Emirates Computers) and they were great, but they don't do data recovery themselves. The guy there took the hard disk out and gave it to me and just asked I bring it back when I collect the laptop.

I dropped it off on Saturday for repair, and they said it would take 10 days - but Monday they rang to say it had all been done! I was hoping our IT guys could help....

Anyway - where is computer street? :)

There were loads of computer shops in the BurJuman...but I'll consult the faithful Explorer and consult with the taxi and concierge..

Intimacy - I don't have the hardware to hook up the now spare hdd to enable me to use the diagnostic tools.. I just have the hard disk! Thanks for the link though.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 22, 2006
If it's just a boot failiure or partition error than data can be copied by connecting it as slave drive to any computer. But i dont think the guys who repaired your comp would change the drive for this kind of error. It must have been some serious problem....still give it a shot by trying to connect it to any computer you have....
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 22, 2006
i have been there Shaf, but only after i said to the taxi driver

"take me to computer street please"

soz mate cant tell you exactly where, someone on here will know, or better still post a new thread titled "computer street"

Another option Shaf, why dont you ask them to sale you the old HDD, i bet it be only around £50, cos you can buy a new one for £100.
arniegang

Mar 22, 2006
It shouldn't be hard to find computer street.. and come to think of it, a few guys I met at the mosque last friday also work in IT, I'll consult them as well.

I was just a little frustrated that the guys at work couldn't help out... but thinking out of the box a bit I should be able to find someone who can see if any data recovery is possible.

I spoke to Emirates and arnie was spot on again, I can "buy' the old hard disk for Dhs 360 if I want to keep it.. and they say I can have that refunded to me if I bring it back in future. I'll try and see if I can make any progress over the weekend, and if not I'll just pick up the laptop and pay for the hard disk..

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 22, 2006
nice one - buy it matey.

Ohhh i think i will put my crystal ball away now

:lol:
arniegang

Mar 22, 2006
Looks like you got everything under control but just in case, Al Ain Centre, aka Computer Plaza has a data recovery place if i'm not mistaken, never used them but have seen it on the2nd floor. Computer Street is also known as Khalid bin Al Waleed street, you are right, very close to Bur Juman. The plaza is attached to a Spinney's across the street from Shoe Mart, you can't miss it. Near Ramada hotel.

Good luck, hopefully it works out.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 22, 2006
You could also try using a Linux boot disk on the drive to see if QParted or something can read it.
Genjix
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 23, 2006
Thanks Fayz, I may try the place on Friday. I took it in to a computer place opposite the Deira City Centre last night and the guy there tried reading the disk by hooking it up to a USB cable.

He said it was fried - the disk was being recognised but no data was being read. He said something about the disk confirmation not working or something like that (I'm not THAT technical).

Anyway - not a big deal as the laptop was new and most important stuff is backed up. It's just a few photos that I downloaded to the pc that I didn't have a chance to back up and have deleted from the camera memory card..

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 23, 2006
i dont know abt Dubai but in US there is a company I know who recovered files from burnt and tampered HD! I have forgotten the name of the company but it was reasonable price and good service. if ur HD returns and has been formatted try http://www.download.com/Recover-My-File ... 10644.html or ask me for a program
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 28, 2006
Update - laptop has been repaired by Emirates computers under warranty - just had to pay 200Dhs for labour (they said I could claim this back from Dell).

For the data on the HDD, thanks to Fayz - your tip paid off. I went to Al Ain centre and Saba Computers managed to recover the data for me, the one particular photo that I wanted was recovered (everything else was a bonus). This cost me 300Dhs, but it was worth it.. as it was one photo that I hadn't backed up and had deleted from the camera..

cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 08, 2006
Next time read this e-book

*Deleted*
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 15, 2008
call me 0507550647, MORE Computers specialized in datarecovery services in Burdubai
safiullahpb
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: May 06, 2009
If you are really serious about getting your data back then try Stellar Phoenix Hard Drive Recovery Software which is an ultimate recovery tool for efficient data recovery according to my exp and satisfaction with this software......give a try
steppor
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Sep 18, 2009
It might be worth trying a tool called Advanced File Recovery - download it from advanced-file-recovery com. It will find deleted files for you and help you recover them if it is possible.
Nikkity
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Data Recovery From Laptop HDD Mar 10, 2016
In case software doesn't work out, contact us for recovering your data. We recover data from any device ! Free Consultation & Estimation. 055-222-0840 No Data No Fees Policy. Data Recovery Dubai UAE. http://www.datarecoverydubai.ae/
datarecoverydubai
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk