Top 5 Reasons To Live In Dubai

Topic locked
Top 5 reasons to live in Dubai Feb 01, 2007
I'm considering moving with my wife and two children to Dubai for a two year deal, I've never been to Dubai (will be visiting next week).

Would very much appreciate advice, suggestions and information on living and working in Dubai.

So to get the juices flowing; what would your top 5 reasons to live in Dubai be?

Thanks in advance (first post and all..!)

Panda

Pandaros
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 05, 2007
Hi, just moved over here myself recently after visiting on/off since 2001 and can honestly say it was the best move for me. The main reason for me moving was to enjoy more of the outdoors lifestyle after being in London for so long, I can go water skiing/fishing/diving/snorkling every weekend if I choose to, also camping on the beach for the weekend is great fun. On the other hand if I want to go boarding Lebanon is only a 3 hour flight or even a quick trip to Emirates Mall in the evening to the snow dome. Everyone here is really friendly, very different from the UK and friends of mine have found the place very child friendly. I enjoy it because it is totally different from what I am used to and can use it as a base to travel. And then there is the benefit of the tax-free salary as well, no more 40% going to the government.

One thing that can be expensive is accommodation, there is meant to be a 7% cap on rent increase but not every landlord abides by it. The Springs, Meadows, Emirates Hills, Jeremiah Islands are great places to live with children especially if you are working in DMC, DIC, Knowledge Village area as it is a very short journey to work, but these areas can get expensive if you are renting. The rents are comparative to London prices.

Hope this helps. Lou.
Lou
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 06, 2007
Thanks for the post, yes it helps.

In the office in Dubai now, hopefully will get a chance to check out lots of Dubai between now and the weekend.
Pandaros
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Top 5 reasons to live in Dubai Feb 06, 2007
Pandaros wrote:So to get the juices flowing; what would your top 5 reasons to live in Dubai be?
Panda

1. good pay (at least than my home country).
2. modern and almost anything you can get (i like to live in big modern city).
3. office is in the best workplace in dubai (dubai internet city), although most of the time i'm traveling in and out of the country.
4. -
5. -

aren't you gonna ask top 10 reasons NOT to live in Dubai? :D
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 08, 2007
Nah, I've read plenty of posts on the negative side already ;)

Like it well enough so far, a move is seeming likely.
Pandaros
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 08, 2007
Also..just to add..I picked up a new Mitsubishi Jeep last week..very inexpensive compared to home a definite bonus for me.

Is your picture representative of a pint of Guinness ... because I have been told it is difficult to find a good pint of it out here!
Lou
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2007
It's representative of a beverage, Guinness it could be or any other really ;)

Still waiting on my company to finalise my offer /sigh
Pandaros
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Apr 11, 2007
Pandaros wrote:Thanks for the post, yes it helps.

In the office in Dubai now, hopefully will get a chance to check out lots of Dubai between now and the weekend.

Hey,

Good luck with it all, please keep us posted and let us know how you get on. I also would LOVE to move out to Dubai so it would be nice to hear from people that have settled out there.

Thanks
Z
dubailover
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 02, 2007
Well I moved, no regrets but the first month's good and bad compared to the UK...

The bad:
Missing the family you could say; they join me later in the year
Cost of housing, don't underestimate this at all - there seems to be no logic behind it either
The 80% rule; despite the amazing feats of engineering it seems that things only get 80% completed i.e. perfect apartment but the wiring is fubar

The good:
I like the weather (for now)
Tax free salary etc...
Variety of places to go things to see
Very friendly people on the whole
Cheaper electronics i.e. televisions

The things that seem to be remarked as a negative but are just amusing if you take them in your stride:
The local driving abilities
How long it takes to get things done; Insha'Allah!

Cost of living is on the whole similar to London suburbs where I was before.

Dubai is what you make of it I feel so far, much like most other places in the world.
[/url]
Pandaros
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 08, 2007
pandaros,

You are on the dot. You could come with an Idea of Dubai you made up yourself and expect to find it perfectly potrayed Idea of your head in real life.

There are more reason you want to stay in Dubai,
- The food is fablous ( wide variety )
- Weather ( I dont know about others, but I hate the WINTER - love the summer )
- Beautiful beaches, as long as you are in your limts (ie, no nudity - a little sacrifise is worth it)
- You said you were a family - extremly good Education and Health Care
- Job may not be necessarily secured but opportunites strikes again and again if your doing well.
- if your into fashion, its the place to be to expect all kinds of spice.
- Your wife may or maynot be into it, but if she likes shoes and tailored garments, your gonna have to be lienient with your pockets.

these are just some of them, and a few like you mentioned... Electronics etc.

Dubai has a lot of bads, but then again, which country doesnt?
Mashaal
Dubai Forums Member

May 08, 2007
I forgot to mention...

Nightlife... if you've missed it... your gonna regret it!
Mashaal
Dubai Forums Member

10 reasons Feb 24, 2008
rajajang
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 25, 2008
- different culturs/ethnicities

- language

- weather/beaches

- local custom

-foooood
muyesser
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 06, 2009
yes
marmarismarine
Dubai Forum User

Mar 18, 2009
Wow, looks fascinating. I will think of moving to Dubai too. Yeah, life in big city is very depressing, i want to have a good time enjoying outdoors lifestyle and i want to have fun there.
dodot
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 17, 2009
From what I see from reactions of others, it's either you love it or you hate it ... within a year you should see that.

...I'm starting my 3rd year now and I love it more than ever ... couldn't see myself going back to EU at all at this point in time.

The best out of all I find that no one gives a damn what I do ... I just live and enjoy my life and there's no one complaining around me!
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 19, 2009
If you want to leave in Dubai note the following.

Visit Dubai Court at least once.

This is public audiance, be there before 8.30 AM from Sunday to thursday.

Then you will know better and clearly what you can do and not do.

Knowing a country is knowing is regulation first.
Alineah
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Guide and photosForum Rules

Return to Dubai Guide and photos