Tenants Responsible For Taxes?

Topic locked
Tenants responsible for taxes? Dec 06, 2005
Is it normal that tenants and not landlords are responsible for paying the municipality taxes?

From the looks of our rental contract the landlord just collects money but isn't responsible for anything else. No maintenance, no garden... What a good deal for the landlord! :shock:

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 06, 2005
Tenants responsibility - Can't remember exactly but its something like 10% of your annual rent.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 07, 2005
Grrrr. :evil:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

taxes Dec 08, 2005
If I'm not mistaken I remember reading that the taxes would be collected through DEWA by adding an appropriate amount to your account? I can't remember if this was to be a "lump sum" or if the amount would be apportioned on a monthly basis.

I'm not sure though how DEWA would know what your annual rental would be? I suppose this information would have to be supplied to them by the landlord?

I would also assume that this was only for non-leasehold properties as this should be taken care of in the levy that is payable to the property administrator

All commercial properties are taxed at 10% which is payable to DM
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 08, 2005
"I would also assume that this was only for non-leasehold properties as this should be taken care of in the levy that is payable to the property administrator "

I don't understand - in English please ;) I am the tenant, the owner of the villa is the landlord...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

death and taxes Dec 08, 2005
kanelli wrote:"I would also assume that this was only for non-leasehold properties as this should be taken care of in the levy that is payable to the property administrator "

I don't understand - in English please ;) I am the tenant, the owner of the villa is the landlord...

on leasehold properties there is an annual levy (covering maintenance and general services), this is billed by the property administrator (emaar or nakheel) to the owner (or landlord), the owner is responsible for the levy; if in the case of a landlord he deceids to recover this from the tennant, it should be clearly stated in the rental agreement.

this is also why it is important to have a DM validated rental agreement!

if you are the owner and resident of the property then you would be directly responsible for the levy.

what i was not sure about was that if there is a municipal tax, whether is would also be applicable to these properties .... in effect a double tax...
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum