Selling Selling Issues

Topic locked
Selling selling issues Sep 09, 2007
Okay folks, so I sold my car. Instead of going to Dubai Police to get the ownership transferred, the buyers insisted that I go with them to some shady second-hand car dealer (probably to save them money). The dealer gave us a form which both of us (the buyer and the seller) signed, basically saying that the car is sold. As a parting shot, the dealer said that the buyer has to get the car officially transferred in his name with Dubai Police within 10 days, else this document is void.

More than 20 days have passesd and the car is still in my name. I'm worried that the buyer will wreck this car somewhere or accumulate tickets, and since the car is still officially in my name, my impeccable driving record would be screwed from the rear.

My question is, what are my options? I'm seriously thinking of going to the police to get my ownership removed from this car by force... I'm still relatively new here guys, help a brotha out please....

cactus_rock
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Selling selling issues Sep 09, 2007
cactus_rock wrote:Okay folks, so I sold my car. Instead of going to Dubai Police to get the ownership transferred, the buyers insisted that I go with them to some shady second-hand car dealer (probably to save them money). The dealer gave us a form which both of us (the buyer and the seller) signed, basically saying that the car is sold. As a parting shot, the dealer said that the buyer has to get the car officially transferred in his name with Dubai Police within 10 days, else this document is void.

More than 20 days have passesd and the car is still in my name. I'm worried that the buyer will wreck this car somewhere or accumulate tickets, and since the car is still officially in my name, my impeccable driving record would be screwed from the rear.

My question is, what are my options? I'm seriously thinking of going to the police to get my ownership removed from this car by force... I'm still relatively new here guys, help a brotha out please....

All the time that the vehicle remains registered in your name you are responsible. Try to get this situation rectified as soon as possible. Try first the dealer, unless you suspect something is wrong, then go to Police, don't expect them to be very sympathetic with you though.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 09, 2007
There is nothing wrong with what you did. There are even little shops with a local sitting in it, who simply oversee this piece of paper officially certifying that a car transfer deal is done. Only some are authorized to do it. This is done so that the buyer and seller don't have to bother going to the traffic police at the same time. I bought a car in this way.

Also, don't worry much about your driving record unless you haven't cancelled your insurance on that car. Around here, once you pay a fine, the violation disappears from the publicly-accessible online fine system. Your record only matters if your insurance company has to pay for your accidents.

What you have to worry about is why this guy didn't transfer the name yet. It means another trip to the "shady" dealer or to the traffic police.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum