Relocating From The UK - Airconditioning,asthma And Cars

Topic locked
Relocating from the UK - airconditioning,asthma and cars Jan 09, 2006
Hi

I have just been offered a position in Dubai and my wife has a newly born baby.

1) does anybody have experiance of bring up a newly born in an air conditioned environment. Is it bad for thier health?

2) I obviousely will need a car to travel to work in. Does my wife also need a car to survive.

3) My wife has moderate to bad asthma. What is the air quality like in Dubai if you have asthma can you please let me know how you cope?

Your help is much appreciated.....

batman10
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 09, 2006
I had ashma all my life moved to UAE stopped using meds after never having to use my ventolin. Moved back to UK (Cambridgeshire) within weeks back on Flixotide and Ventolin.
barastisundowner
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2006
Hi
1. One of my children basically spent her first 4 1/2 years from birth in air conditioning-she's normal!! Just don't over do it and have it freezing as new borns have a tendency to squirm and kick off covers- sometimes sleeping in an all-in-one with a light sheet solves this. Also here air-con is not used all year round unlike other places we've stayed in.

2. Yes, your wife can live without a car-taxis are cheap but honestly get a 2nd hand 4 wheel drive for her-after a couple of months of catching taxis 4 to 6 times a day, then getting the same taxi driver more than twice who thought he was in a F1 grand-prix and telling my kids that it was OK that they all didn't have seat belts because they were stuck down the seat (and I know it darn well isn't!!), I figured forget the fear and drive. You know you are in control and your kids are strapped in. I suggest a 4w drive for several reasons-accidents are a common occurence and there are more humungous cars here than you'd believe-in a crash the laws of Physics tell you get a big car!! Also road works etc mean that quite often you have to do some sort of rough terrain driving just to get to park your car-you can end up parking your car in sand after mounting a curb etc to get there.

3. Don't have asthma but there are great doctors here if that is any help.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum