ONE WAY TICKET !!!

Topic locked
ONE WAY TICKET !!! Mar 01, 2006
I'm planning to visit Dubai this coming April and I need some advice if it's necessary to buy 2 way airfare ticket or just 1 way.

I'll take my chances to find a decent job in Dubai within 60 days and I'm not sure the return ticket going back here in Toronto. I hope 1 way ticket is not an issue in the immigration airport in Dubai.

Paulo Rienne
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 01, 2006
they didn't look at my ticket when i showed up.

however, personally i would never get a one way ticket to a place i don't know and don't have a job in. just to be sure i have a way to get outta dodge!

:evil:
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 01, 2006
2 way ticket is safer

thats funny ur comin 2 a foreign county with 1 ticket, wat if under any circumstance u had 2 leave the county , n if u dont have a returnin ticket beleive me they'll eaither ship u in the russion airliens or nippla airlines that would b free though :) :) :) :)
AD__REP
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 01, 2006
b/c me i'm a fresh grad been lookin 4 a job 4 the past 4 months, soo many interviews n still no follow up .

i 2ld them i'm a citizen n willin 2 work 4 the least offered pack in MRK n still did'nt get that call.

many other citizens :evil: :twisted: n expats r in the same boat.

good luck, n if u find 1 let me know so i can apply at the same place n have ur name as a refferal , goooood deal :P
AD__REP
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 01, 2006
AD__REP wrote:b/c me i'm a fresh grad been lookin 4 a job 4 the past 4 months, soo many interviews n still no follow up .

i 2ld them i'm a citizen n willin 2 work 4 the least offered pack in MRK n still did'nt get that call.

many other citizens :evil: :twisted: n expats r in the same boat.

good luck, n if u find 1 let me know so i can apply at the same place n have ur name as a refferal , goooood deal :P

I think you probably made a mistake in telling a potential emploer that, as they will think you dopn't value yourself or your potential - never under sell yourself or comes across as desperate. You have to make them want you, not the other way around.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 01, 2006
Immigration will always be suss if they find you coming into a foreign country with a one way ticket. Normally outbound immigration will also question you on why you are departing on a one way ticket if you do not have a valid reason to do so - ie already have a job (relocating), or migrating.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 01, 2006
As I said, it is prohibited by UAE law to purchase a one way ticket into the country unless you are a UAE national or have a valid UAE residency.

I triple checked this information for my own knowledge too.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

ONE WAY TICKET !!! Mar 01, 2006
Thank you all for the info.

It's just that I have no plan to go back to Toronto, instead I am planning to go to other country to explore and find my luck. That's the main reason why I want to buy a 1 way ticket and buy another ticket once I'm in Dubai.

As per Liban, it is prohibited by UAE law to purchase a one way ticket into the country unless you are a UAE national or have a valid UAE residency. I guess I have no choice but to stick with the rule.

Thank you once again for all your response.

P.S. I am in the IT field as a Network Engineer/Administrator, If anyone can send me a link for me to apply for a job, It will be highly appreciated.
Paulo Rienne
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 02, 2006
"

I think you probably made a mistake in telling a potential emploer that, as they will think you dopn't value yourself or your potential - never under sell yourself or comes across as desperate. You have to make them want you, not the other way around."

"never under sell yourself or comes across as desperate""

well from a MRK prospective u've 2 sell ur self 2 get the job other will pop up n take it.

the manager 2ld me that we dont have any prob hirin any1 we want from anywhere on the planet.

plus the job that i applied for, they had more then 1560 potential employee, n he broke he down to catogories so its easier 4 him2 screen out resumers

39 Citizens
430 Arabs
1091 other nationalaites, so they'll prefere citizen male, if not then arabs then consier other ppl, so i guess i've 2 sell my knoweldge n my tallented MRK skills :wink:
AD__REP
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 02, 2006
Hi,
I came with a one way ticket but at the airport I had to provide the copy of my residence visa, which luckily had already been issued in Dubai. Otherwise they wouldn't have let me fly in.

A friend came on a one way flight and had no residence visa. At the airport he had to provide the original labor contract. As he had only a copy - the original he had sent back as they had him sign first, and they faxed it to him - he was a bit in trouble. They asked loads of questions, he had to provide a copy of the booking for the hotel made by the company and checked his complete luggage. This is because the airlines have been asked to check the visa status for the government.
I.E. I wouldn't risk that they don't let you fly (as then it costs you the flight without flying) - and also, in case it should work out, I heard the prisons here are not really comfy. And as I heard, that's where they offer you residence until you get deported.

Check for the prices - most airlines have cheaper return offers than a one way flight. I flew one way only because the company otherwise would only pay for the half price although the return ticket would have cost less (understand that world!).
If you don't use your return ticket you can always cancel it and usually get back at least the airport taxes. Thats what other friends did. Otherwise you can always use the return ticket to visit your friends back home.
cu gokm
gokm
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 06, 2006
Hi,

We came to Dubai less than a month ago with a one way ticket. Our resident visas aren't ready yet (they take about 6 weeks, hopefully!) and no one asked about them.

In fact, we were the ones to mention it to the check-in staff (in oder to justify our more than obvious excess luggage!) She checked for the residence visa, we explained it will be sorted out as soon as we arrived and she believed us. This was in London flying with Emirates. We were probably lucky and anyway, we did have the contract of employment with us. So probably wouldn't advise you to take the risk, but just wanted to let you know about our personal experience.

Good luck!
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 07, 2006
Paulo,

Another thing I forgot to mention, when we arrived nobody asked anything about our plane ticket or anything at all, but we were greeted by a VIP greeting service at the airport called Marhaba (anyone can arrange it, is not that we are celebrities nor millionaires, but my husband's company sorted that out)

Cheers,

J
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum