Moving Home From Toronto,Canada To Dubai

Topic locked
Moving home from Toronto,Canada to Dubai Nov 05, 2007
Good day, everyone!

We are moving to Dubai and If anyone can recommend a reputable international moving company to move our personal belongings, i would greately appreciate!

Cheers!

aminkine
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 05, 2007

Phone: 403-346-6946
Fax: 403-340-8840
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 06, 2007
Sorry, I guess I didn't mention where we are moving from.
We are In Toronto, Canada at the moment.
aminkine
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 06, 2007
I suggest you consider leaving/selling/giving away a lot of your stuff for the following reasons:

1. You can find everything in Dubai.
2. Furniture/Tv's and white goods prices are cheaper here
3. You can carry the clothes you'll need as your canada winter clothes will do you no good here (and most of your clothes will be of the "winter" kind).
4. It would take a while for the ship/container to arrive so you would need to furnish the place in the meantime
5. The money it will cost to ship the stuff you can use to furnish your place here.
6. You will have to reship your stuff once you leave Dubai.

Of course the above depends on how much stuff you have.

I would serioulsy look at the above even if the company is paying for the shipping (I would ask them for an allowance instead and use the money to furnish the new place).

The stuff you "must keep" in Canada you can store.

Unless of course you are moving to Dubia "permanently"...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 07, 2007
Thank you!
That was a very helpful comment.
We have few things that make our home and we'd very much like to bring along: come pictures and paintings, few books.

Do you think it might be worth it paying the airline for an extra luggage pleace?
aminkine
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 07, 2007
aminkine wrote:Thank you!
That was a very helpful comment.
We have few things that make our home and we'd very much like to bring along: come pictures and paintings, few books.

Do you think it might be worth it paying the airline for an extra luggage pleace?

"worth it" is relative:

1. Expense
2. Inconvenience
3. Sentimentality

Check whether shipping the stuff "book rate" at the post office is better than what the airline will charge for excess luggage (airlines charge a lot)

With respect to pictures, many people forget that most of the weight and bulk is the frame and not the picture itself. Frankly, nowadays you can scan your picture and then print it once here (if not already digital) and re-frame it. Kep the originals back in Canada with a trusted relative or friend. Total weight for digital photos (1 ouce).

Paintings I would carry on the plane or ship with a reputable courrier (cost a factor).

By the time I'm done you'll be arriving in Dubai with just the clothes on your back and a book or magazine (for reading on the plane)

Sage og Onion, now would be a good time for you to repeat what I've just typed. In any event, just an opportunity for you to post.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 07, 2007
DHL offers big boxes, if its just pictures and books and all those personal effects you might want to consider just shipping these through them.
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum