Moving To Dubai: Pls Help! Canadian To Work In Finance

Topic locked
Moving to Dubai: pls help! Canadian to work in Finance Feb 05, 2006
Hey everyone
so I just got an offer to join a firm in dubai working in principal investment. I have some questions that I would really appreciate your help with

1. In what way do I need to comply with Canadian Tax Law when using / saving my income from Dubai? Can I pay off loans I have back in Canada?

2. What is a comfortable salary to have in Dubai? Is it common to ask for accomodation in the offer? I'm trying to figure out what is a standard good offer in this niche.

3. I will spend a lot of time in Riyadh. I've read several posts claiming security issues ... how true is this? Should this be a major issue for me?

4. Any other helpful hints!!! comments about the move, whether its a good career decision etc...

thanks so much and if anyone wants to talk on msn, let me know

papo_uk
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Feb 06, 2006
3. I will spend a lot of time in Riyadh. I've read several posts claiming security issues ... how true is this? Should this be a major issue for me?

I don't think it's an issue for Canadians. As far as I know, they are well respected well received world wide :-)
Acebravo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Moving to Dubai: pls help! Canadian to work in Finance Feb 06, 2006
papo_uk wrote:Hey everyone
so I just got an offer to join a firm in dubai working in principal investment. I have some questions that I would really appreciate your help with

1. In what way do I need to comply with Canadian Tax Law when using / saving my income from Dubai? Can I pay off loans I have back in Canada?

2. What is a comfortable salary to have in Dubai? Is it common to ask for accomodation in the offer? I'm trying to figure out what is a standard good offer in this niche.

4. Any other helpful hints!!! comments about the move, whether its a good career decision etc...

thanks so much and if anyone wants to talk on msn, let me know

1) Just declare non-residency and do not pay any taxes. Yes you can pay off loans while u r here.

2) Depends on your experiece and type of job.

3) Riyadh is not the safest city in the world but it is not too bad for Canadians.

4) Dubai rocks. I used to live in Canada. Economically Canada is depressed, most of the west is. The Welfare State system is a failure. Dubai and the greater MENA region is where to be.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 06, 2006
Acebravo wrote:

I don't think it's an issue for Canadians. As far as I know, they are well respected well received world wide :-)

I know a Canadian working in Riyadh he's gotten 2 death threats but he's still alive and hasn't left.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 09, 2006
Is principal finance the same as private equity? That sounds like a UK term.

I am curious as I am a Canadian moving to Dubai and i will be looking for work in investment management. Ideally discretionary asset management or private equity. I am curious as to what you know about the job market in investment management there.

As for taxes, it depends on your residency status. If you claim to be a non-resident then you don't have worry about paying taxes. Non residency is based primarily on 3 issues 1) do you have a house in Canada 2) do you have a spouse in Canada and 3) do you have any dependents in Canada. If the answer to all three of these is no, then you should be in the clear.

It should be no problem to bring funds back to Canada to pay down loans.
CFAinDubai
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum