Initial Enquiry Re Dubai

Topic locked
initial enquiry re dubai Feb 06, 2008
hello folks, new to this forum and just starting to look into the situation, to see if a move to Dubai will be possible / enjoyable for us. Originally from the UK, but now living in Australia, for the last 8 years ( sun and surf u beauty !! ). Feel like a change so we are beginning the search for employment in Dubai for myself. Electrician by trade but now in Facility Management. First question i have is how much work will there be for the misses out there, she works as a care aide here, but has shop work experience as well,will this be enough for here to get full time employment in Dubai, and will it pay a reasonable amount ?? More questions to follow, thanks in advance :lol:

surfer
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 06, 2008
Ex FM type here now living in Dubai....

1. You won't make significantly more (or less) money than what you are getting in the industry in OZ.
2. However, it will be tax free and you'll probably get a fair contribution towards housing and a car. Say about 75% of both.
3. Don't listen to half the crap that people wil tell you back in OZ re drinking, alcohol, etc.
4. Misses shoud be spelt Missus...
5. She'll probably find work but probably less than she's getting on Oz. But see item 2 (Exclude car and housing).
6. Day to day costs are about half of what you are paying in Sydney. i.e. groceries, fuel, etc. About 30% less than Melb.
7. If you've got an PM experience, highlight that on your resume as it's your best bet.
8. It's not all champagne and caviar over here, but neither is it all that bad.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 06, 2008
You in FM will make upwards of 35K a month, she will earn 5-8k a month in a shop.

this should be in expat forum. But welcome to DF
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 06, 2008
thanks for the answers folks. We live in Perth WA at present, which is getting as expensive as Sydney anyway !!! Craig, did you work in the FM field yourself in Dubai ?? When you say PM i assume you mean Preventative Maintenance ?? We are thinking seriously about a move over to Dubai for a couple of years, so any answers you can help us with will be much appreciated. What could we be expecting to pay for rent in say a 1 bed apartment or unit, also we have a dog who will be coming over with us, how are pets welcomed in rental properties ?? And the misses says you are right about the spelling !!!! :shock:
surfer
Dubai Forum Guest

Feb 07, 2008
Well no wonder you want to move to Dubai if you're living in Perth!

I did work in the FM industry in Australia. I've taken a bit of a side step away from FM as it was boring me stupid. From what I can work out, it seems that the FM industry is really in it's infancy here. Though I'd suspect it to ramp up considerabley as more assets come online. For the most part, FM is done by real estate agents on behalf of the owners. I'm not seeing a lot of stand alone FM providers.

Rent here for a 1B/R apartment is equivalent of about $30kAUD and upwards. About $40kAUD for 2B/R and both would be fairly basic. Nice, new and livable. But nothing all that flash. However, most employers will offer you some sort of accomodation allowance if they're bringing you over.

PM... I mean project Managment. Not preventative Maintenance.

I wouldn't recommend bringing the dog. You could probably bring him/her. But getting it back into Australia will be at LEAST 3mths in quarantine. Not to mention fairly costly I think.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 07, 2008
Olive is one FM company here I'm aware of.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum