Help With Accomodation Prices

Topic locked
Help with accomodation prices Oct 06, 2007
My company wants to send me to Dubai in December. I need to find out how much I will need to live there.
We have 2 children and will be looking to live in the Springs or Meadows area. How much should we reckon on paying? Also what are the utility fees like? We also would like to buy a car any advice?

SJM
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 06, 2007
I assume you'll be looking at a 2 or 3 br house?

rental from about 120 - 150k per annum (springs/ meadows area)
services (water/ electricity) probably in the region of 600 per month depending on your a/c and water usage.
schooling is quiet expensive as well, depends what school you plan on putting your children in to american/ british curriculum or other.

if your company is sending you to dubai, get them to pick up the costs of the accomodation, services and providing you with a vehicle, as well as adding on an allowance for schooling
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Help with accomodation prices Oct 06, 2007
Thanks dbxsoul,

are there any extra fees we should be aware of? I heard there is a 5% tax charged on properties. Is there anything else?
SJM
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 06, 2007
Yes, basically an annual maintenance levy, this does however depend on where you are staying and who you are renting through.

The normal issue with new arrivals is the presentation of payment for rental. Normally rental is payable, annually in advance. This is normally done through a process of post-dated-cheques make out to the landlord or agent. Payment is then split over 4 three month periods. First thing when you get to Dubai is get a local bank account and cheque book to facilitate payment. Check to see if the levy is inclusive of the rent or not – and then make sure it is written onto the rental contract. Insist on getting a legal rental contract issued through the Municipality – this will cover you to a certain extent if you run into problems with the landlord.

There are also deposits which have to be paid, DEWA (water and electricity) about 500 AED, as well as Etisalat to hook you up with a landline or internet connection (not sure on the current charges).
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 06, 2007
Try looking at these sites for an indication of the renatals:

Better Homes: http://www.bhomes.com/
Ateco Properties: http://www.asteco.com/web/index.html?

These are not the only property companys in the area, but two of the older more reputable companies.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 06, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:I assume you'll be looking at a 2 or 3 br house?

services (water/ electricity) probably in the region of 600 per month depending on your a/c and water usage.
schooling is quiet expensive as well, depends what school you plan on putting your children in to american/ british curriculum or other.

if your company is sending you to dubai, get them to pick up the costs of the accomodation, services and providing you with a vehicle, as well as adding on an allowance for schooling

I think your estimate is a little low, more like 140 - 180k
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Help with accomodation prices Oct 06, 2007
SJM wrote:Thanks dbxsoul,

are there any extra fees we should be aware of? I heard there is a 5% tax charged on properties. Is there anything else?

This is called Housing fee and it is charged along with your DEWA (Water & Electricity) For example; Annual Rent Dhs. 140,000.00 x 5% / 12 = Dhs. 583.33 per month.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 06, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:I assume you'll be looking at a 2 or 3 br house?

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Soul, tut tut mate, you are losing touch with inflation matey. You would now be exceptionally lucky to get a 3 bed in the Springs for less than 185k now, 2 bec around 135-150k
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 06, 2007
hahhaha.... granted.... i hang my out of touch head in shame!

i knew there was a reason why i left :D
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 06, 2007
thanks everyone for your help
SJM
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum