Desktop Problem

Topic locked
Desktop Problem May 06, 2008
Guys. I feel really stupid asking this question but here is my problem. I brought a desktop computer with a monitor and printer with me from the United States. I went to Radio Shack and bought a 300 w convertor to convert 110 V to 220 V. When I plugged in my CPU and monitor there was a bang. It looks like my monitor survived but the CPU has fried. My question is, what did I do wrong? Did I have any other option? Do I have any hope now to get the CPU salvaged?

K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

May 07, 2008
I think your best bet is to take it to the guys in Computer Plaza, Bur Dubai to have a look.

I'd say you needed a transformer not a converter for the job and you probably fried the thing.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Desktop Problem May 07, 2008
K-Dog wrote:I went to Radio Shack and bought a 300 w convertor to convert 110 V to 220 V.

If that was to convert supply voltage then you ended up with 440 V across your computer since it's a 2x converter. Which would explain the bang.

Another place to go is compume in Garhoud or Mall of the Emirates, or Sharaf DG in Time Square.

Convertor and transformer usually mean the same thing. They both change voltage supplied.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 08, 2008
Every CPU box I've had has a switch in the back to choose 110 or 220.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 08, 2008
Maybe the transformer was faulty.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum