Am I Completely Buggered ?!

Topic locked
Am I completely buggered ?! Feb 19, 2008
I've been in Dubai for about 4 months and just got my residency visa through. It's only just occurred to me that when I try to change my UK driving license over; my 15 year old drink driving conviction (I was younger and even more stupid :oops: ) may be an issue.

Do any of you guys out there know if it will be a problem, and if so, if there's a way around it, otherwise it could be an early bath and back off to the UK Winter for me..... :(

Cheers

Macro
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Feb 19, 2008
Last I knew (10-15 years ago) If you had a drink driving charge, your license was pink, the old tell-tale sign. Not sure if they got out of the dark ages and actually put pictures on the license now in the UK. I switched my Canadian license over a few months ago, no problem. Canadian licenses don't have any convictions indicated on them though. (not that I have any) I would say if your license does not state that you are a boozehound right on it, then you would be fine. It WOULD be nice if they would ask for a driving abstract, though. That way, people who have been driving safely for years can get their license, and the speed-freaks would be kept at bay. Best of luck to you.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Feb 19, 2008
Won't be a problem.

They barely even look at your licence. Unless it has something emblazened upon it, you're home free.

But you'll probably need several drinks to drive relaxed around these parts.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 19, 2008
lol if u are cheeky enough you can get a bike license too. tried it and got it heheh :D.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 19, 2008
It wont be a problem because they only ask us for the Photocard part of the licence and as you know the endorsements/convictions are only on the paper part. So no worries
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 20, 2008
arniegang wrote:It wont be a problem because they only ask us for the Photocard part of the licence and as you know the endorsements/convictions are only on the paper part. So no worries

Not the case with me. They wouldn't accept just my UK license. They made me go back home and come back the next day with the paper part. This was in Sept 2006.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 20, 2008
Seems like you are at the mercy of the person at the counter. My brother tried being sneaky and getting a bike license, but was denied. I felt lucky enough that they spelled my name right after 3 tries and got outta there!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Feb 20, 2008
XPClone wrote:
arniegang wrote:It wont be a problem because they only ask us for the Photocard part of the licence and as you know the endorsements/convictions are only on the paper part. So no worries

Not the case with me. They wouldn't accept just my UK license. They made me go back home and come back the next day with the paper part. This was in Sept 2006.

Agreed, they do ask for the paper part as well. I renewed my licence last week and they asked for this.

Will let you into a secret - RTA @ UNION COOP, in and out in less than 10 mins with a new licence - amazing
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 21, 2008
Major, is this just for renewal or new license as well?

I tried to get my license converted and they won't accept it at the Sheikh Zayed road branch (next to MOE) and insist I have to take 20 lessons. I don't really see the point as I can probably drive better than most people on the road here. Is there any way around it?
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 21, 2008
Its for new licenses too. A friend of mine transferred their UK license at the COOP and it was all done in 15 mins. Better than waiting 15 million hours everywhere else!
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 21, 2008
Thanks will try there.

Is this all the union co-op or specific ones only?
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum