Car Rent With International Licence & Resident Visa?

Topic locked
Car Rent with international licence & resident visa? Sep 12, 2007
Guys,

I have international driving licence & resident visa. Does anyone know some agency which allows you to rent with these conditions?

Rgds

MJ
Dubai Forum User

Sep 12, 2007
no one, you need intl driving permit and a visit visa to rent a car.
or residence visa and uae license. you cant mix em :D
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 12, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:no one, you need intl driving permit and a visit visa to rent a car.
or residence visa and uae license. you cant mix em :D

Legally correct
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 12, 2007
legally that might be correct but both Avis and THrifty rented me a car with a residency visa and british licence.

I have recently otained a uae licence and couldn't comment on what may have happened if i had been in an accident with the british licence only.
john smith
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2007
john smith wrote:legally that might be correct but both Avis and THrifty rented me a car with a residency visa and british licence.

I have recently otained a uae licence and couldn't comment on what may have happened if i had been in an accident with the british licence only.

Good for you John, however, if you had been involved in an accident you along with the rental companies may have got in trouble.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 13, 2007
i just leased from diamond-- you need a UAE license for 1 yr min. OR a UAE license (under 1 year) AND a license from a reciprocal list (US, UK, etc) that is valid for longer that 1 year-- otherwise you aren't covered by insurance

this is assuming you are leasing under a residency visa
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007
Thanks guys for info. I heard that car rental is only on rental agency, which does't make sense if police stops u.
And if u show them ur international licence, then u just need to drive 15-20 driving classes.

Anyway, need to see how long is a waiting list for a driving school and still keep trying to fint rental with this impossible cimbination of my documents:))
MJ
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum