Breaking Accommodation Contract Early

Topic locked
Breaking accommodation contract early Oct 02, 2007
If you have a standard one-year rental contract, paid half up-front and half with post-dated cheque, but then a few months into the contract, for reasons beyond your control, you find that you need to leave Dubai... what are your options for terminating the contract?

jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 02, 2007
It's quite legal for a tennant to give one month's notice even if the contract is not complete. You will possibly loose a month's rental, but the landlord is obliged to refund the balance of the outstanding rent and any post-dated cheques.

If he try's to tell you that you will loose the balance of the money, say that you have phoned the rent-control board and the municipality and that's what they have told you.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 02, 2007
Thanks dbx, that's a real weight off my mind. I've actually just checked my contract and it says that I need to give two months' notice, but that I can live with. I was more worried about losing eight months' rent.
jayzed
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 02, 2007
It also depends on your landlord. My tenant wanted to leave and I let her leave on less than a month's notice. Gave back her cheques. Depends on how greedy your landlord is too.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 02, 2007
jayzed wrote:Thanks dbx, that's a real weight off my mind. I've actually just checked my contract and it says that I need to give two months' notice, but that I can live with. I was more worried about losing eight months' rent.

Make sure you do everything in writing, also confirm any verbal agreement in writing.
Most Landlords will be fine with the 2 months notice, just make sure you get your cheque back.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum