Bank Account

Topic locked
  • Reply
Bank Account May 15, 2006
Hi, I am moving to Dubai in two weeks. Is it easy to open a bank account. I will have my residency visa when I arrive. Also any suggestions on a bank for someone moving from Canada?

tdot
Dubai Forums Enthusiast
User avatar
Posts: 64

  • Reply
May 15, 2006
Resident visa & company letter - u're done.

I'm not Canadian but I favour HSBC, Citibank & ABN Amro.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 3114
Location: Leaving the racetrack behind

  • Reply
May 15, 2006
Over the last couple weeks, I've heard some really horrible stories about Standard Charter so I would stay away from them, on the flip side I've heard very good things about RAK bank. I use HSBC and no complaints, they aren't great but no problems.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
User avatar
Posts: 2880
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

  • Reply
May 15, 2006
I was able to open an account without a residence visa - company letter only (depends on relatioship between company and bank).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot
User avatar
Posts: 3919
Location: Dawg House

  • Reply
May 15, 2006
I heard good things about RAK Bank too. HSBC are probably good enough although I got annoyed with them one day and closed my account. But then I think every bank will annoy you one way or another.

Lloyds don't have many branches but they're the only bank open 0800-1800 6 days a week AFAIK.

Most banks have a minimum balance requirement about 5000 dhs. There's a couple that are less - NBAD is only 1000 dhs I think.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper
User avatar
Posts: 547
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
May 15, 2006
I checked a lot of banks before I opened my accout (4 months ago). I went with NBD, they rated the best for what my needs are. Standard Charter I know charges for all sorts of things so I agree - stay away from there.
mraph33
Dubai Expat Helper
User avatar
Posts: 550
Location: On the 3-point arc

  • Reply
May 16, 2006
standard chartered sucks balls..
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter
User avatar
Posts: 121

  • Reply
Feb 17, 2007
XRW-147 wrote:Resident visa & company letter - u're done.

I'm not Canadian but I favour HSBC, Citibank & ABN Amro.


I'll only be getting my residence visa in 3-4 months time...company, newly incorporated in Dubai. In this case, I'm not able to get a bank account (even a normal savings a/c)?????????? :?: :cry:
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter
User avatar
Posts: 120
Location: DIFC

  • Reply
Feb 18, 2007
beaujarle wrote:
XRW-147 wrote:Resident visa & company letter - u're done.

I'm not Canadian but I favour HSBC, Citibank & ABN Amro.


I'll only be getting my residence visa in 3-4 months time...company, newly incorporated in Dubai. In this case, I'm not able to get a bank account (even a normal savings a/c)?????????? :?: :cry:


Relax, you can open an offshore account as non-resident.

You'll only need the usual stuff (passport, utility bills for proof of residence in your home country, reference letter from your primary bank etc.)
Globetrotter
Dubai Forums Frequenter
Posts: 134

  • Reply
Feb 18, 2007
Globetrotter wrote:
beaujarle wrote:
XRW-147 wrote:Resident visa & company letter - u're done.

I'm not Canadian but I favour HSBC, Citibank & ABN Amro.


I'll only be getting my residence visa in 3-4 months time...company, newly incorporated in Dubai. In this case, I'm not able to get a bank account (even a normal savings a/c)?????????? :?: :cry:


Relax, you can open an offshore account as non-resident.

You'll only need the usual stuff (passport, utility bills for proof of residence in your home country, reference letter from your primary bank etc.)


Which banks in dubai have this service? Thanks in advance.
beaujarle
Dubai Forums Frequenter
User avatar
Posts: 120
Location: DIFC

  • Reply
Feb 18, 2007
hsbc for sure
Globetrotter
Dubai Forums Frequenter
Posts: 134

  • Reply
Feb 20, 2007
Why not try an Islamic Bank?

- Dubai Islamic Bank ****
- AbuDhabi Islamic Bank
- Sharjah Islamic Bank

**** my accounts: current/Saving/VISA in Dubai Islamic Bank.
I do all my bank related issues without even visiting the bank; through the internet.
rami77
Dubai Forum User
Posts: 24
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Feb 21, 2007
Globetrotter wrote:hsbc for sure

Also Loyds... and the first year is free.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers
User avatar
Posts: 1503

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Last post