1st Timer In Dubai From The UK (Grand Hyatt)

Topic locked
1st timer in Dubai from the UK (Grand Hyatt) Feb 04, 2005
My wife and I are staying at the Grand Hyatt at the start of March. Do you have any opinions of this hotel? Is it in a location where it is possible to walk into the City Centre along the Creekside. Can you walk through the creekside park towards the Dhows? Or over the bridge and walk along the North side of the Creek towards the Hilton and Sheraton hotels? Is it possible to walk to Wafi City or even Lamcy Plaza from here? It doesn't look far on the map, but are the roads suitable for pedestrians?

Where is the best place for shopping? Clothes, shoes, jewellery and electronics (Digital camera, Digital Radio, MP3 player). I have heard about Al Fahidi Street, but would you recommend any particular shops? Or any particular mall? I have been recommended Wafi City, Deira City Centre and Bur Juman.

Do you have any particular recomendations for restaurants and bars? I understand that the Pyramid at the Wafi Centre has a few good ones and we have been recommended Scarletts at Emirates Towers, Spectrum at Fairmont and Spice Island at Renaissance. We particularly like Thai food and are torn between Blue Elephant at Al Bustan Rotana, Thai Chi at Wafi City and the Thai at Dusit Dubai. Have you been to any of them?

Do you know if it is possible to walk from Emirates Towers to Fairmont? Or would we need to get a taxi for what looks like about 1/4 mile on the map?

Do many (any?) hotels bars run Happy Hours at all?

Is it true that tourists are not able to purchase alcohol in supermarkets?

Finally, how is the weather at the moment? I know we have 3 weeks until we leave and it may improve, but is it warm enough to sit around a pool and have a swim, during the daytime?

Thanks in advance

Rick Fisher

rickfisher
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Grand Hyatt Feb 08, 2005
I stayed at this amazing Hotel in October.
Fantastic pools (Both Indoor and Outdoor)
poolside service was apalling.
Grand Room (Creek view) highly recommended.
You can walk to Lamcy Plaza in 20-30 mins.
I did not try walking to WAFI City.
Across the road is Al-Boom tourist village where you can take your Dhow cruise.

Let us know how you get on
Tarlochan

Feb 09, 2005
My Garage has many Vacancies
Glory
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum