Where's Everyone Headed For Summer Hols?

Topic locked
Where's everyone headed for summer hols? May 03, 2011
So maybe a nice thread, as the weather heats up and Ramadan is August this year - cripes - summer holidays are springing to mind. Just wondering where everyone is planning to head for their jollies?

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Where's Everyone Headed For Summer Hols? May 03, 2011
Getting my shopping jollies in the States!!! Most of the time in NYC but a trip down to Florda. Heading out later than usual - probably towards end of July (if I can last that long!), return September. Hopefully a trip to Italy, or Greece in June. But, as we all know, plans don't always turn out the way we hope!!!

What's on your agenda???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Where's everyone headed for summer hols? May 03, 2011
Oh that sounds fab - jealous, it's been years since I went to NYC.

LOL yes, I should have put my agenda - heading to Oz for a long stop with the folks and a catch up with some old Dubai folk. Hopefully a stop via Singapore on the way. The OH and I are hoping to hire some bikes and do a coastal run for a few days.

Just having a heart attack at the cost of flights for August - need a flippin' mortgage for them :shock:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I am going to try and have the holiday I missed last year courtesy of DNID.

Maybe head for MonteNegro or the island of Provenza off the bay of Naples with the SO. Have also been invited to Georgia (the Eastern European one not the state in the US) which might be interesting culturally.

Anything to escape the August heat!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dubai Knight wrote:I am going to try and have the holiday I missed last year courtesy of DNID.

Maybe head for MonteNegro or the island of Provenza off the bay of Naples with the SO. Have also been invited to Georgia (the Eastern European one not the state in the US) which might be interesting culturally.

Anything to escape the August heat!

8) 8) 8)

Knight

I would recommend Tblisi DK
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Thank you. Any recommendations welcomed!

Looking for interesting countries culturally as well as photogenic locations.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:Looking for interesting countries culturally as well as photogenic locations.

Iran.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Dubai / USA / Dubai / UK / Dubai / China / Dubai and back to Ghana.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

melika969 wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:Looking for interesting countries culturally as well as photogenic locations.

Iran.

I have heard from many people how beautiful your country is and I would love to visit, however August is still very hot and I am also an 'infidel' who needs to escape from some of the restrictions of Ramadan. I would love to come over during the skiing season as I understand the slopes are challenging.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:
melika969 wrote:

Iran.

I have heard from many people how beautiful your country is and I would love to visit, however August is still very hot and I am also an 'infidel' who needs to escape from some of the restrictions of Ramadan. I would love to come over during the skiing season as I understand the slopes are challenging.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

yes you are right about restrictions. August in the hottest time in Tehran, but there are some other cities with cold weather even in then. However as you said skiing is not an option in August. Make a plan for next winter, starting from November. ;)
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Where's Everyone Headed For Summer Hols? May 04, 2011
Egypt and (Turkey or Lebanon)....
Mahmoud04
Dubai chat master

We're doing some short travels to Philippines, Cambodia and Thailand.

DK, we had a wonderful trip to Sri Lanka - have you been there before? There are 7 world heritage sites to see, tea plantations, wildlife reserve safaris, sea turtles, elephants, and beaches!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:We're doing some short travels to Philippines, Cambodia and Thailand.

DK, we had a wonderful trip to Sri Lanka - have you been there before? There are 7 world heritage sites to see, tea plantations, wildlife reserve safaris, sea turtles, elephants, and beaches!

I loved Sri Lanka too. Went there with the mad Welshie and we did the important bits we could in the short time we were there. Highlight was swimming with the elephants at the orphanage. Just wonderful animals.

If you are heading to Cambodia and Thailand, I can recommend a few 'must sees' and can even hook you up with a personal guide in Ankhor Wat. You will love the culture and the friendliness of the people. There are some border disputes between them at the moment and hoping these don't escalate.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Where's everyone headed for summer hols? May 05, 2011
sage & onion wrote:Dubai / USA / Dubai / UK / Dubai / China / Dubai and back to Ghana.

Wow Sage, that's a mixture! Wish I had your air miles!

-- Thu May 05, 2011 2:32 am --

Bora Bora wrote:Getting my shopping jollies in the States!!! Most of the time in NYC but a trip down to Florda. Heading out later than usual - probably towards end of July (if I can last that long!), return September. Hopefully a trip to Italy, or Greece in June. But, as we all know, plans don't always turn out the way we hope!!!

What's on your agenda???

Funnily enough Bora, I have been discussing meeting a friend in NY in July! Can you recommend any good hotels? I haven't been to NY for a few years. The last time I went we stayed at Trump Towers on Central Park. The Barclay, Intercontinental comes highly recommended by BM's eldest. Any thoughts?
We could have a DF meet up :wink:
Bethsmum

Re: Where's Everyone Headed For Summer Hols? May 05, 2011
to BM: first you have to determine, what neighborhood you prefer: downtown below 14th Street or Midtown
42nd to CPS. or what style you prefer. then choose a hotel in that respective area. Most new 4 or 5 star hotels below 14th are good and have a interesting clientel and neighborhood feel.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Where's Everyone Headed For Summer Hols? May 05, 2011
BM: I like places with "character"; somewhere with intimacy and that certain feel to it which makes it memorable. Rather than just great and sprawling Palaces, where you could be anywhere London,Paris, Rome, wherever, although they have their uses. However, it all depends on what you are planning with your friend. Sight seeing? Eating out? Walking around? Or just spend time catching up on all the gossip.......
Spontaneity is the spice of life!
(Let me select an appropriate smilie for this one......ok this one will do): :D
zonker
BANNED

Re: Where's everyone headed for summer hols? May 05, 2011
Must go back to Sri Lanka at some point, only managed three days last time, but still managed to see much of it :D It's extremely beautiful.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Where's Everyone Headed For Summer Hols? May 06, 2011
zonker wrote:BM: I like places with "character"; somewhere with intimacy and that certain feel to it which makes it memorable. Rather than just great and sprawling Palaces, where you could be anywhere London,Paris, Rome, wherever, although they have their uses. However, it all depends on what you are planning with your friend. Sight seeing? Eating out? Walking around? Or just spend time catching up on all the gossip.......
Spontaneity is the spice of life!
(Let me select an appropriate smilie for this one......ok this one will do): :D

Thank you Zonker, I am planning to do all those things with my friend. I have been to NY on 3 occasions but I still love to do the sights. I'm also a big people watcher. Thats a big 'people watcher' as opposed to a 'big people watcher'. I have to admit I like a bit of luxury in a hotel, I don't do budget, so although I wouldn't have to have a palace I wouldn't like 'El Cheapo'.

macjul wrote:to BM: first you have to determine, what neighborhood you prefer: downtown below 14th Street or Midtown
42nd to CPS. or what style you prefer. then choose a hotel in that respective area. Most new 4 or 5 star hotels below 14th are good and have a interesting clientel and neighborhood feel.

Thanks macjul for your advice! looks like I'll have to study my A to Z.
Bethsmum

Re: Where's Everyone Headed For Summer Hols? May 07, 2011
El Cheapo! Thats where the bed bugs eat you for dinner and the roaches eat your breakfast! :shock:
zonker
BANNED

Re: Where's Everyone Headed For Summer Hols? May 07, 2011
zonker wrote:El Cheapo! Thats where the bed bugs eat you for dinner and the roaches eat your breakfast! :shock:

Zonker, did you attend the same 'School of Humour' as DK?
Bethsmum

Re: Where's everyone headed for summer hols? May 07, 2011
No summer hoilday for me this year, I'm afraid......

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Where's everyone headed for summer hols? May 08, 2011
Tom Jones wrote:No summer hoilday for me this year, I'm afraid......

Oh! I'm sorry to hear that Tom! Don't work too hard, life is far too short.
Bethsmum

Re: Where's everyone headed for summer hols? May 08, 2011
Tom Jones wrote:No summer hoilday for me this year, I'm afraid......

That sucks! I really hope you can make/take some time for a break at some point! :(
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Where's everyone headed for summer hols? May 09, 2011
The UK. Can't wait.
DearJohn
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Where's everyone headed for summer hols? May 20, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Dubai / USA / Dubai / UK / Dubai / China / Dubai and back to Ghana.

Wow Sage, that's a mixture! Wish I had your air miles!

-- Thu May 05, 2011 2:32 am --

Bora Bora wrote:Getting my shopping jollies in the States!!! Most of the time in NYC but a trip down to Florda. Heading out later than usual - probably towards end of July (if I can last that long!), return September. Hopefully a trip to Italy, or Greece in June. But, as we all know, plans don't always turn out the way we hope!!!

What's on your agenda???

Funnily enough Bora, I have been discussing meeting a friend in NY in July! Can you recommend any good hotels? I haven't been to NY for a few years. The last time I went we stayed at Trump Towers on Central Park. The Barclay, Intercontinental comes highly recommended by BM's eldest. Any thoughts?
We could have a DF meet up :wink:

Yes indeed will be gatherings a few, all Emirates as well.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Where's Everyone Headed For Summer Hols? May 24, 2011
Philippines trip is done, stayed one night in a fancy hotel, two nights in a basic hotel, and 5 nights in a cinderblock house with metal sheet roof and a mosquito net over the bed. It was all fantastic :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I holiday in Dubai for the summer. No kids, no wife. Bliss
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

benwj wrote:I holiday in Dubai for the summer. No kids, no wife. Bliss

Enjoy!
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules