What Mobile Phone Carrier Do You Use And Recommend?

Topic locked
What mobile phone carrier do you use and recommend? Nov 23, 2010
  • What carrier would you recommend for someone with o2 in the UK? If someone could contrast the different carriers to the UK equivalent, that would be great.
  • How long does it take for the sim card to expire? That is, after a period of inactivity.
  • Is it possible to rent a sim card for a short stay? Given the cost of receiving a call on roaming is so extortionate, I think this would be great if it existed.
  • Is it possible to get a specific number? I want something very easy to remember.
  • Anything else I need to bear in mind?

• Please, if you don't have anything useful to add to the thread, just don't comment all together. I'll kindly ask that the admin, please delete anything that isn't appropriate.

brucebanner
    Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: What mobile phone carrier do you use and recommend? Nov 23, 2010
    Basically in the UAe you have two choices - Eitsalat and DU - they are both governmentally owned and both as rubbish as each other.

You can get a pay as you go SIM card pretty much as soon as you get off the plane, all you need is a copy of your passport and a copy of the page with your visit visa in it.

I would recommend Etisalat over DU, as their coverage is better.

You will need an unlocked mobile phone as well.
    Chocoholic
    Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Basically in the UAe you have two choices - Eitsalat and DU - they are both governmentally owned and both as rubbish as each other.

+1
    desertdudeshj
    UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

I never thought I would ever write in defense of Etisucksalot, however I do have to admit that their coverage is very good even in the remote corners of the UAE. Its just a nasty experience having to deal with them face to face as the staff are generally untrained and the admin is a nightmare!

Du just sucks, period! (as they would say in downtown New York!)

:? :? :?

Knight
    Dubai Knight

Re: What Mobile Phone Carrier Do You Use And Recommend? Nov 24, 2010
    ip telephone for long distance calls and yep etisalad :D but if you are in dubai or lets say sharjah you can make free landline calls!
    rudeboy
    Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: What Mobile Phone Carrier Do You Use And Recommend? Nov 25, 2010
    I had Etisalat for my first year here, but had such bad coverage in Arabian Ranches, I could not use the phone indoors. I made the switch to DU and it was a bit dodgy at first, but all good now. I have to say that being an iPhone user, with their data plan, if you spend 100 AED a month, you get free data. With DU's 40% free credit offer, I STRUGGLE to spend the 100 AED required for free data, only missed a month or two. Their long distance rates kick the Salad's butt as well. So one vote DU.
    dubaidog
    Dubai chat master

Re: What mobile phone carrier do you use and recommend? Nov 25, 2010
    Hey DD2, hate to break it to you, but Etisalat now do the 40% credit back as well.
    Chocoholic
    Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: What mobile phone carrier do you use and recommend? Nov 26, 2010
    Chocoholic wrote:Hey DD2, hate to break it to you, but Etisalat now do the 40% credit back as well.

Who you callin DD2?
    dubaidog
    Dubai chat master

Re: What mobile phone carrier do you use and recommend? Nov 27, 2010
    I prefer neither - once I cheaper for calls from I can see and the other has better coverage - there is no choice here so I keep both. On internet however Du is better - they are less capable and therefore block less sites.
    JoeTGF
    Dubai forums Addict

Re: What Mobile Phone Carrier Do You Use And Recommend? Nov 27, 2010
    But throttle bit torrent traffic.
    desertdudeshj

Re: What mobile phone carrier do you use and recommend? Nov 28, 2010
    What do you mean throttle bit torrent traffic - I download tons - no speed or access issues.
    JoeTGF
    Dubai forums Addict

Re: What Mobile Phone Carrier Do You Use And Recommend? Nov 28, 2010
    Mean cap your your downloading speeds. Whats your conection and what sort of D/L speeds you get ? But atleast they arn't total douchebags and open up from 1 am to 6 or 7 am ish.

I bought into the read broad band BS, It was good for the first too months but then I think they realised that with speedier connection they will also be using more bandwidth ( i.e they have to pay more to use more bandwidth aswell ) I got the 8Mbps line and was getting over 1000kbps D'L's now its just 20 or 30 Kbps max

and its not just me

http://tbreak.com/forums/index.php?/top ... ults-here/
    desertdudeshj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat