Mobile Phone Help - What's With The Little Squares

Topic locked
Mobile phone help - what's with the little squares Aug 09, 2009
Urgh if anyone can help me with this I'd be grateful, it's driving me insane.

Trying to install some google stuff on my phone, but when I type the links in on my phones browser, it refuses to disaply the text and all I get are silly little squares - WHY?

I have changed my preference to Ehnglish and settings. I'm out of ideas.

I have a Samsumg Omnia.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 09, 2009
I usually get squares when etisalat sends me spam sms's in arabic everyday. My PDA is not Arabic enabled. Dunno but if your trying to open google the first time it actually shows up in arabic and you have to click on english. Google is usually the 1st site people try to access

Dunno if that helps ?
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 09, 2009
Or maybe try English instead of Ehnglish :D
desertdudeshj

Aug 09, 2009
I don't want it in Arabic! I've selected English in the google preferences, but when I type in the link they give for this particular application, it just reverts back to stupid squares.

I tried everything!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 09, 2009
Maybe the site is only in arabic ? Check it out on your PC 1st
desertdudeshj

Aug 09, 2009
Set operating system country to US or UK or another English speaking country. Might be auto-set to UAE and expect Arabic but if you change preference with Google to English then the conflict results in squares. I get the same on my desktop with old browser when looking at Chinese, Japanese etc.

If what I say doesn't make sense, ignore it. I'm not very familiar with PDAs. Only have a Windows Mobile system myself.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 09, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Maybe the site is only in arabic ? Check it out on your PC 1st

It's not in Arabic!

Bonk, my phone just has windows mobile, no idea where to find the OS settings.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 09, 2009
Simple learn to read Squarelish then !
desertdudeshj

Aug 09, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Simple learn to read Squarelish then !
:roll: Thanlk so much for your invaluable input - NOT!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 09, 2009
Well what I can do if you have crap omnia and didn't bother to buy a decent phone !

Well anyways its obvious its a language problem. Try this and see if it works If its a windows thingy phone. Go to start/settings/regional settings/region
desertdudeshj

Aug 09, 2009
The Problem:-

The Diagnosis:-
I think some of your text input methods may not be supported according to language. Try changing your text input method.

Input Method's Being:-

Block Recognizer
Keyboard
Letter Recognizer
Samsung Keyboard.......
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 09, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Well what I can do if you have crap omnia and didn't bother to buy a decent phone !

Well anyways its obvious its a language problem. Try this and see if it works If its a windows thingy phone. Go to start/settings/regional settings/region

Already done that! No change!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 09, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Well what I can do if you have crap omnia and didn't bother to buy a decent phone !

Dude the Omnia is a KickA$$ phone yo. I'd choose it hands down over the Iphone anyday. I think the Omnia's Wi Fi capability is a killer feature.

The Problem:-

The Diagnosis:-
I think some of your text input methods may not be supported according to language. Try changing your text input method.

Input Method's Being:-

Block Recognizer
Keyboard
Letter Recognizer
Samsung Keyboard.......

That's for sms messages, not internet browser page display.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 09, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Bonk, my phone just has windows mobile, no idea where to find the OS settings.

start > settings > system > regional settings but sounds like you did that already.

Problem is browser input or display? If input, doesn't make sense if other inputs ok. If display, try (when you're in browser) menu > tools > options ... change default character set - mine is set to Western European but maybe try UTF-8.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 09, 2009
What you just discovered Wi-fi on phones. I haven't had non wifi phone in years. Only because its eaiser than taking the paper into the loo in the morning :)
desertdudeshj

Aug 09, 2009
very simple girl. you need to get a new mobile :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 09, 2009
That's pretty much what tech support at Etisalat said! The the Omnia does not support that application - booooooo
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 09, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:That's pretty much what tech support at Etisalat said! The the Omnia does not support that application - booooooo

lol i was being sarcastic :D and probably the etisalat support person doesnt want to do any job :D

try to install the latest internet explorer and you will have to install one of the language packs so that the IE can recognize the language which it sees as squares and etc etc.

you will also have to configure your IE by clicking on view, then encoding and make sure that the correct option is chosen.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat