What Makes A Good Expat....

Topic locked
What makes a good expat.... Feb 01, 2008
it's not for everyone...this expat stuff...so there must be things to look for in peoples personalities that can help them to make a success of their foreign adventure...

I'll start off by saying you have to be realistic about what lies ahead...no move to another country is going to solve the problems you have back home...

mrs Robinson
Dubai forums Addict

Re: What makes a good expat.... Feb 01, 2008
mrs Robinson wrote:no move to another country is going to solve your the problems you have back home...

hmmm, I think it does, isnot that the reason why people go expat? It depends of course whether push factors are stronger than pull factors. It can solves problems concerning money among other things.
What makes a good expat? First of all don´t be too nationalistic.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 02, 2008
An open mind will greatly help sans the prejudices and attitudes......
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 02, 2008
I think an over inflated sense of selfworth and an air of superiority over the natives of the country you are habitating are the obvious behaviours of an expat...
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2008
respect their rules, culture and religion and their way of living.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 02, 2008
rudeboy wrote:respect their rules, culture and religion and their way of living.

well said!
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2008
craigindubai wrote:I think an over inflated sense of selfworth and an air of superiority over the natives of the country you are habitating are the obvious behaviours of an expat...

:lol: I am begining to like this "personna" of yours man.
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 02, 2008
Dubaidude007 wrote:
rudeboy wrote:respect their rules, culture and religion and their way of living.

well said!

thats not just for UAE its for anywhere you go. let it be london or even New York.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 02, 2008
craigindubai wrote:I think an over inflated sense of selfworth and an air of superiority over the natives of the country you are habitating are the obvious behaviours of an expat...

Is this only for the UAE or in general? In the UAE by far the majority of expat are from the subcontinent, you believe they exercise this behaviour?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 02, 2008
I was generalising and my comments weren't specific to UAE expats.

But personally, I find most of us "whitey" expat types to be a bunch of boorish, arrogant tossers.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2008
craigindubai wrote:I was generalising and my comments weren't specific to UAE expats.

But personally, I find most of us "whitey" expat types to be a bunch of boorish, arrogant tossers.

:D Considering the kind of people leaving their highly developed homelands and coming here, they may believe they've all the reason to be arrogant.. If u cant do it at your own home do it at yoa neighbours' :|
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 03, 2008
Oh.... And an ability to understand cryptic internet posts from people where english is the third, possibly fourth language spoken....

That ability alone will get you far...
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2008
Respect, understanding and open mind is usually a good place to start.

its not just the "white" expats, even some of the other expats are arrogant and have the "holier than thou" attitude. :roll:

C'mon people, its not just the 'natives' you have to respect, but also other expats.
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 03, 2008
abarawakijess wrote:Respect, understanding and open mind is usually a good place to start.

its not just the "white" expats, even some of the other expats are arrogant and have the "holier than thou" attitude. :roll:

C'mon people, its not just the 'natives' you have to respect, but also other expats.

Well said.. completely agree to it.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 03, 2008
craigindubai wrote:But personally, I find most of us "whitey" expat types to be a bunch of boorish, arrogant tossers.

I am glad some of you realize this :lol:
Dubaidude007
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2008
Dubaidude007 wrote:
craigindubai wrote:But personally, I find most of us "whitey" expat types to be a bunch of boorish, arrogant tossers.

pity they post on DF...
mrs Robinson
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 03, 2008
mrs Robinson wrote:
Dubaidude007 wrote:

pity they post on DF...

lol u want to name some ;) would be interesting to know who they are :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 03, 2008
rudeboy wrote:
mrs Robinson wrote:
Dubaidude007 wrote:

pity they post on DF...

lol u want to name some ;) would be interesting to know who they are :D

oh no I wouldn't dare...you've been around much longer so you should know....
mrs Robinson
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat