What Did You Learn Today?

Topic locked
What Did You Learn Today? Feb 16, 2012
I learned that Mahmoud Ahmaginejad has a degree in Traffic Management! (according to the BBC anyway).

Did you learn anything new today?

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: What Did You Learn Today? Feb 16, 2012
i learned that the car that i almost drove away in from the dealership, wasn't actually mine!!

how u doing BM
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: What Did You Learn Today? Feb 16, 2012
Im feeling fine general, thanks for asking. You've been missed on DF!.
Were you trying a little grand theft auto?
Bethsmum

Re: What Did You Learn Today? Feb 27, 2012
Today, I learned that Don't talk to any one.
Hermoine
Dubai Forums Member

today i learned how to hold newly born babies. I'm going to have one soon.
lisachee
Dubai Forum User

lisachee ,

Congratulations!

--- 1 seconds ago ---

general_A wrote:i learned that the car that i almost drove away in from the dealership, wasn't actually mine!!

I've just realised who your avatar is general! You were at the Oscars last night. :D
Bethsmum

Thanks BM

How are you? how long have you been on this forum. I see a lot of your posts here. You seem to be a very active member.
lisachee
Dubai Forum User

Re: What Did You Learn Today? Feb 28, 2012
lisachee wrote:How are you? how long have you been on this forum. I see a lot of your posts here. You seem to be a very active member.

I'm very well, thank you. I have been on this forum for nearly two years, I think! Active is one word that could describe me. I'm sure others have other words :drunken:

When is the baby due?
Bethsmum

Bethsmum ,

baby is due in April. I'm so excited yet worried how everything will go. This is going to be my first baby. We have no relatives here. Its just only me and my husband.

What do you do?
lisachee
Dubai Forum User

I learned how to neatly file different sizes of reciepts. May sound funny but during the year it will save my life cpl of times!
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

I learned about nerve fibres and neurons, synapses, reflexes etc - total brain overload.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

this is something I learned during my university days. How to sleep while keeping eyes open :D
lisachee
Dubai Forum User

lisachee wrote:baby is due in April. I'm so excited yet worried how everything will go. This is going to be my first baby. We have no relatives here. Its just only me and my husband.

What do you do?

Not long to go now!! These will be the longest weeks just waiting for something to happen. Both of my elder children were late, the first one, two weeks and the second, 12 days. My third daughter was spot on. The 5th of November, fire works night in the UK! It was an omen :D

I'm sure you will be fine on your own. You will be able to make your own mistakes while there is no one watching! I gave birth to my first daughter while we lived in Cyprus, no family around at all and the second one in Germany. No family there either! It made it all the nicer when I flew back with a new addition.

I always wanted a son but got 3 girls :cry:
I'm pleased I didn't have one now as I intended to call him Rod Stewart. LOL can you imagine?

I work for the UK government in England but have a place in Dubai.

--- Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:40 pm ---

Nucleus wrote:I learned how to neatly file different sizes of reciepts. May sound funny but during the year it will save my life cpl of times!

And you learnt how to do that on DF, nucleus!!

--- Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:41 pm ---

Chocoholic wrote:I learned about nerve fibres and neurons, synapses, reflexes etc - total brain overload.

So you started your course Chocs. Happy studying!
Bethsmum

Re: What Did You Learn Today? Feb 29, 2012
Bethsmum ,
wow thats lovely you have three kids. I cannot imagine having anothe anytime soon. I hope everything goes well. i didnt even know how to hold a new born but now I do, but still I'm really scared.

I havent even started shopping. Just bought few apparels. I have to decorate a room and plenty more things to buy. Still getting to know this place.

I have plans on working but not so soon.

lisachee
Dubai Forum User

lisachee wrote:still I'm really scared.

You'll be fine, I promise. I still remember the first night with our newborn. Crying and all. I remember me and my wife looking at each other 'now what do we do'? Things will work out!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

lisachee wrote:wow thats lovely you have three kids. I cannot imagine having anothe anytime soon.

I was fairly young when I had my first daughter, only 20 and she was only 18 months old when I had the second one. I left it 19 years before I had the third one. I wanted another one as I'm not keen on having an 'only' child but it never happened. Beth has turned out to be a little star and is much less bother than her older sisters were. I think it may have something to do with their fathers. The father of my older daughters was a nutter but Beth's father is calm, quiet and very kind. :P
I'm not sure what was easier, 2 children when I was young, or one as an older mother. I think the later to be honest!

--- Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:47 pm ---

lisachee wrote:but still I'm really scared.

Don't be!! Relax, your baby will feel your tension!
I remember one night with my older daughter, she would just not shut up! I was feeding her myself and I must have fed her three times and still she cried. In the end my husband picked the cot up and took her into the living room and shut the door and told me to leave her alone. She shut up eventually and I fell asleep. When she started crying again, a few hours later, I woke up and couldn't remember where I was, who I was or what the noise was.
My second daughter was born in a German hospital and they had a totally different way with babies. Everynight they took her away to the nursery and didn't feed the babies during the night. When I was discharged they hold me, in no uncertain terms, not to feed her at night and to let her cry and if she was desperate, just give her water. I swear to God, she woke up only twice during the night. Believe me it's how you train them and the Germans are as hard as nails!
I only stayed in hospital 6 hours with Beth. It was like shelling peas :D

--- Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:49 pm ---

lisachee wrote:I havent even started shopping. Just bought few apparels. I have to decorate a room and plenty more things to buy. Still getting to know this place.

The baby won't notice what you have or haven't got. You don't need so many clothes when they are tiny, they grow so quickly.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:And you learnt how to do that on DF, nucleus!!
Yup, and I appriciate all the help I got :D Thanks guys!!!!!!
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

lisachee wrote:I have plans on working but not so soon.

Take your time, is my advice. Before you know it the baby will be a toddler then a teenager. Enjoy your time with the baby.

Do you know what it is? I didn't know with the first two but I knew Beth was a girl from around 16 weeks. She still didn't have a name the day she was born. I wanted to call her Georgia but her dad said it sounded too foreign (I won't tell you exactly what he said :oops: ) At the end he said call her what you like. I decided on Bethany. She hates it and insists on Beth :P
Bethsmum

lisachee, congrats! Definitely don't buy too much stuff because people will often give you items that they don't need for their baby anymore, and family and friends will give gifts. We ended up with too much baby stuff! We decorated a baby room too and then the baby ended up sleeping in our bed, so a nursery wasn't even necessary. You never know, so hold off and buy stuff when you see you need it.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:then the baby ended up sleeping in our bed,

In your bed Kanelli? :shock: That's dangerous! Never have a baby sleep in your bed, you could roll over and smother it. Especially if you're knackered! That's something I would strongly advise against!
Bethsmum

There are many resources for safe co-sleeping - have done it with both kids and all was fine. We have a super king bed, hubby not allowed to sleep in the bed if he was drinking. Baby slept beside the bed if I was severely tired or had to take any medicine that made me drowsy. I'm not going to get into a debate about it. Millions of people around the world co-sleep with their babies. Each to their own.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Yes each to their own. I've googled it and there are far too many risks for me. Consider whether the bed is too soft, consider whether the baby will get too warm, consider your weight, consider whether the baby will fall out. So many considerations!

I'm not saying I didn't bring my kids in bed for a cuddle but we all had our own beds for sleeping in. Mummy and daddy's bed was strictly for mummy and daddy time.
Bethsmum

Re: What Did You Learn Today? Mar 01, 2012
Bethsmum ,

hii! I wont buy much but stroller and car seat I want to buy in advance and also bath tub. I dont know how Im going to give HER a bath. New borns are so delicate. Yeah I know what is it ;). I also found out, just didnt have the patience. Can you guide which online shopping website is good for baby products
lisachee
Dubai Forum User

lisachee wrote:Yeah I know what is it . I also found out, just didnt have the patience.

Fantastic! congratulations again!

--- Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:16 pm ---

lisachee wrote:I dont know how Im going to give HER a bath. New borns are so delicate

They are tougher than you think. Just make sure you are comfortable when you give her a bath and have everything to hand. When my eldest did her first big poo :oops: in hospital it was all over the place and was around all her little toes. We didn't bathe them in hospital so I was trying to clean her up as best I could with cotton wool balls. The nurse told me it wasn't good enough and to get her feet cleaner. I was panicking a bit! The nurse left my room and I ran the tap and stuck by daughter under it :shock: Of course I made sure the temperature of the water was just tepid! She was as good as new after first shower. :D

--- Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:26 pm ---

lisachee wrote:Can you guide which online shopping website is good for baby products

I'm probably not the best person to ask, as I don't live in Dubai. When you say products, do you mean clothes, baby items or nappies and soaps etc? My daughter is getting her pram from icandy which is a UK company and gets the car seat for free. The furniture and bedding, she is buying from Mamas and Papas and she has been looking at Christian Dior baby clothes. I have told her not to be ridiculous looking at Dior and she told me to mind my own business :P She says it's her money and her baby. She's not wrong!

Oh I don't think I told you she is expecting her first baby in June :P

Edited to add that it's the eldest daughter and not Beth!!
Bethsmum

kanelli wrote:Millions of people around the world co-sleep with their babies. Each to their own.
Yea my mum too, and I'm fine.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: What Did You Learn Today? Mar 02, 2012
^Lack of oxygen. That explains it.
Only joking Nucleus !
Bethsmum

haha!
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Lisachee, I bought baby stuff from Mothercare and Baby Shop. I never bought a baby bath, just used a clean sink, and when the baby was bigger we used to bath and shower with the baby ourselves. Bought a baby buggy ahead of time but after baby was born I found it much easier to wear the baby in a sling, so the buggy didn't get much use until around 10 months. I recommend one that has the option of the baby facing towards you as well as out, so that when the baby is young you can have them facing towards you.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: What Did You Learn Today? Mar 04, 2012
Thanks everyone for the great advices. I've been hearing alot about mumsworld.com. I even visited this website. I kinda like it. The prices of the products are really affordable. I even read the reviews. I showed it to my husband as well. He liked it too. So we're ordering from there. They have almost everything.
lisachee
Dubai Forum User

Re: What Did You Learn Today? Mar 04, 2012
That's great lisachee, I hope you find everything you need there. I wanted to clarify that I was talking about the buggy with the facing in and facing out comment. Slings that allow babies to face out and hangs the baby by the crotch are not good for baby's hips. My favourite sling was the Ergo. Good luck with everything - all the best!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat