I Value Your Opinion!!

Topic locked
I Value Your Opinion!! Aug 25, 2006
I am from London.

I am about to make that all-important decision on accepting a position out in Dubai and just wanted to know do you people like Dubai or is more of a convenient work situation? Would you recommend the move from the UK to sunny Dubai?

If you are pro Dubai please elaborate?
If you are not 100% pro Dubai and have pro as well as cons please list?
If you are anti Dubai please elaborate!

Thanks for your time on these questions.

Stevo
Dubai Forum User

Aug 25, 2006
Come to Dubai for 2-3 years max, then leave, otherwise you will lose your senses! That is assuming your rent hasn't doubled by then of course.
DubaiLets
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 25, 2006
Better someone moving from london share with you the reasons they came.
yshimy

Aug 26, 2006
I came from London and I love it here. Obviously it depends on other benefits such as money, housing, your social life etc.

For me, I felt a little frustrated in London with the lack of money I had and I was bored of my social ciruit. Here, you find people from all walks of life and hear of all kinds of experiences. People say it's superficial and that the friends you meet are only around for a short time, but I disagree. I've made some friends here than are better friends that I knew in the UK for several years.

Personally, I love the weather too and although it sounds like a daft reason to come here, I think it makes a huge difference. London is home and home is where the heart is but Dubai is definitely a great change if your life needs a little refreshment!

Good luck with the decision and maybe see you at one of our get togethers soon.

xx
Princess Banana Hammock
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 27, 2006
Little by little everyday,Im turning into an anti-Dubai st ...but it really depends on the quality of life you have as of the moment. Few things thats thats making my life miserable:

1. No customer service here
2. Big number of people here dont have any manners or ethics
3. Everything is expensive
4. Summer is just so hot
5. Medium of transportation is so limited (Bus are a big no no, smelly and crowded most of the time. Taxi are always not present when you need em' and yep its still smelly, and walla whats left? car lift...ewww)

I realized while writing there are still some positive things, I can mention few:

1. Dubai is almost crime free, quite safe here
2. No tax

I might be missing some points, will get back to this....
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 27, 2006
This country is like most others in the world, there is drinking/drugs, violence, domestic abuse, cheating, prostitution, corruption, injustice etc. It is certainly not as bad as in some regions of the world. I agree that this country feels safe from heavy crime, but then again one can feel the same safety living in a small Nordic country as well.

I sort of enjoy the negative experiences I have had here. It gives you a new way of looking at things, and makes you cope differently. I think I am becoming a more flexible person, and certainly more aware of cultural differences and different norms of behaviour. Admittedly, I still have moments where I just can't understand why things aren't done "the proper way" (whatever that is!), but it passes. You definitely have a bit of a shock when you first arrive in the country, but it too passes.

I enjoy the multiculturalism (despite this being the most racist place I have lived in), and I think there are a lot of beautiful things about the Gulf culture. I love the architecture, the food, the music etc. The sunny weather is also great (minus the summer heat).

When you know you don't have to stay here forever you can just take things in stride.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 27, 2006
My opinion is if you get good money and you can tolerate some issues (i.e. bad manners, no ethics, etc) without compromising your mental health, then you can make it all over the world.

It depends what kind of person you are, for me i consider myself as a citizen of the world. I don't mind where i'm gonna be that's why i decided to relocate to Dubai within the next few weeks.
Greekman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat