UAEkid And Bedro, You Guys Are Safe

Topic locked
UAEkid and Bedro, you guys are safe Feb 15, 2009
UAE considers draft law to ban termination of Emiratis
by Joanna Hartley on Sunday, 15 February 2009

LABOUR LAWS: Emiratis could be protected from losing their jobs under new labour laws. Draft proposals that could see private companies banned from making Emiratis redundant have been submitted to the Ministry of Labour, it was reported on Sunday.

The National Human Resource Development and Employment Authority (Tanmia) has drawn up the plans, which if agreed, would make it illegal for nationals to lose their jobs unless for a violation of the labour laws, according to UAE daily Gulf News.

Feddah Lootah, the acting director general at Tanmia, said the proposal aimed to safeguard Emirati’s jobs in the private sector. "The main task of the authority is to preserve the jobs of Emiratis," he said.

Lootah's comments comes days after Dubai’s Police Chief warned that arbitrary layoffs of UAE nationals by private sector companies were in breach of the law and the country's traditions.

Lt Gen Dhahi Khalfan Tamim said the police would boycott companies that terminated nationals at short notice, using the global crisis as an excuse.

Tamina's draft proposals state that if a company is forced to terminate a local, because of restructuring or as a result of a merger, then it must inform the ministry of the intention before moving forward with the decision.

However, every possible avenue must be explored to keep a local employee in post before job loss will be sanctioned by the ministry.

Part-time working, relocation, salary review and extra training for an alternative post must all be considered, and it will be unlawful to terminate an Emirati for lack of qualifications and skills if the probation period has passed, it adds.

No time-frame has yet been given by the ministry as to when a decision on the Tanmia proposals will be made.

However, last week a group of Emiratis filed a complaint against Al Futtaim Group for arbitrary termination of their employment contracts, according to the same newspaper.

The labour laws that cover the termination of a worker's contract are set out in Article 120 – there are 10 cases in which an employer is legally allowed to end an employee's contract.

These include non-performance of basic duties, repeated violations despite warnings, professional mistakes resulting in substantial material loss to the employer and clear disregard for safety instructions in the workplace.

Furthermore, changes to the pension law are also in the pipeline that will see a clause included in the social insurance scheme stipulating that unemployment insurance must be available to nationals, Lootah revealed.

refered by ...... -> http://www.arabianbusiness.com/
url is -> www.arabianbusiness.com%2F546738-uae-co ... f-emiratis

K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 15, 2009
Dude, I'm not local. Who gave u that impression??
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 15, 2009
My bad. I meant to say Naruto. Sorry Bedro.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 15, 2009
Don't you think that this news gives a very clear message to the Private Sector for the future?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 15, 2009
sage & onion wrote:Don't you think that this news gives a very clear message to the Private Sector for the future?

Yeah, to keep under 50 employees, or move to Qatar.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 15, 2009
God I'm being like a Kindergarten school teacher here LOOL, the hall idea is that the labor office is trying to pass a law that does not allow privet companies to layoff locals unlawfully, meaning that has found out that the same companies hired other foreigner in the same position with the same or less qualifications that the locals had !! and used the economic crisis as a cover up. I got this today from the local radio station when they had an interview with head of labor office in Dubai aaaaaaand that’s the hall story. True or not I'm not sure but this is what I heard today

Don't worry about me k-dog I'm getting paid 50,000 amonth and got my own privet business .

Dam it did I just drink from the cocacola can I was using as an ashtray ..yuk
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 15, 2009
gtmash wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Don't you think that this news gives a very clear message to the Private Sector for the future?

Yeah, to keep under 50 employees, or move to Qatar.

So it's true that more people from Dubai are moving to Quatar nowadays?
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 16, 2009
uaekid wrote:God I'm being like a Kindergarten school teacher here LOOL, the hall idea is that the labor office is trying to pass a law that does not allow privet companies to layoff locals unlawfully, meaning that has found out that the same companies hired other foreigner in the same position with the same or less qualifications that the locals had !! and used the economic crisis as a cover up. I got this today from the local radio station when they had an interview with head of labor office in Dubai aaaaaaand that’s the hall story. True or not I'm not sure but this is what I heard today

Don't worry about me k-dog I'm getting paid 50,000 amonth and got my own privet business .

Swallowed your own arrogance. Take another zip to remember how it tastes and maybe you'll think again before crying arrogance upon DF.

Schoolkid you mean. ;)
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 16, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
uaekid wrote:God I'm being like a Kindergarten school teacher here LOOL, the hall idea is that the labor office is trying to pass a law that does not allow privet companies to layoff locals unlawfully, meaning that has found out that the same companies hired other foreigner in the same position with the same or less qualifications that the locals had !! and used the economic crisis as a cover up. I got this today from the local radio station when they had an interview with head of labor office in Dubai aaaaaaand that’s the hall story. True or not I'm not sure but this is what I heard today

Swallowed your own arrogance. Take another zip to remember how it tastes and maybe you'll think again before crying arrogance upon DF.

Schoolkid you mean. ;)

jealous :lol:
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 16, 2009

they wana get rid of locals just to reduce the expenses, example..you get 50k per month ..why i pay that much for u when i can bring any indian who will sattle for 7000 per month and save up tp 43k monthly ..but for westrens they dont have anyproblem paying millions ..not because they are smart ..its just here in uae we use them to show off and we will be like: see we are civillied we have white ppl working with us bla bla bla ..cCrap
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 16, 2009
comaan naruto, you know everyone here is doing like that 3 monkey's famous picture, one covering his eyes and the second one is covering his ears and the last one covering his mouth accept for k-dog , he is the bad news reporter here LOOOOOOL
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 16, 2009
naruto wrote: ..but for westrens they dont have anyproblem paying millions ..not because they are smart ..its just here in uae we use them to show off and we will be like: see we are civillied we have white ppl working with us bla bla bla ..cCrap

I'm beginning to think this is true, since I know a couple of white guys who either doesn't have a proper job or is a bum in their countries and yet they instantly acquire top postions here.
But it only shows that westerns are smart, since it is easy for them to get the favor of gullible companies here. lol.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 16, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

Schoolkid you mean. ;)

arrogance cannot be stripped away from arabs. it's something they are taught and grown up with. it's one of the main reasons why arabs are still far behind in every fields where intelligence is required.

nway, moving to subject, every developing country would try to bring down jobless rate among their own nationals. uae is just trying to do that by bringing these kind of laws. unfortunately uae doesn't have enough resources to even start thinking about it.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 16, 2009
Maybe it doesn't say much about the quality of the labour pool here if white guys who don't have proper jobs in their home countries are hired over others here. :lol: Shall we keep up the racist comments about hiring?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 16, 2009
Dealing with the actual article... Having a policy like this will only shut out Emiratis from the private sector. Another poorly planned policy on the part of the govt.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 16, 2009
There is a very heated debate going on in arabianbusiness on this same topic.

What surprised me are comments saying Nationals are suffering and oppressed due to expats, and that they should be entitled to jobs for life in private companies etc etc.

Natives are advantaged here and nothing wrong with it, but i am really surprised to see they feel that they are long oppressed by expats, which simply is not the case.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 16, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:What surprised me are comments saying Nationals are suffering and oppressed due to expats, and that they should be entitled to jobs for life in private companies etc etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

it seems heavy filtration is going on behind the screen.
gafoorgk
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat