UAE Military

Topic locked
UAE Military Feb 18, 2007
Has anyone here served in the UAE Military? How professional do you believe it is, are its soldiers as fit and professional as those of Britian, U.S.A., or Canada? Does it have special forces? What language does its servicemen speek (arabic, english, ect)?

williell
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 18, 2007
They sit around and eat alot of rice and meat for a few months....

Then they work hard for a week or two to merely pass training examinations they get once in a while...

Most of them are school drop outs and speak mostly just native language.
guest999

Feb 18, 2007
ahh . I want to try a military life for a while, and I know i want to be in the UAE eventually, and I was hoping i could have the best of both worlds, a military life in the UAE. I have extraordinary physical capabilities from a very athletic lifestyle, and a military history. From what i've heard elsewhere the UAE isn't exactly the cream of the crop as far as militaries go.. I guess i'll fight with Canada or Britian for a while. But i'd still like to know more about this army before i go elsewhere.
williell
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 18, 2007
:?

I don`t understand how you can work in differently armies.

Ok, you wrote that you like the military life, but I never heard before that somebody wants to fight for another countries except his own country.

My brother is a soldier and for him it would be unbelievable to work in an american army for example.

Sorry, when I`m wrong, but that is my opinion.

Where are you from anyway?
Tropic23
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 18, 2007
What's all this bull about swapping armies? You'd have to be a citizen of a country to be in its military.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 18, 2007
I am canadian, and my mother is british. I have had a small taste of what it is like to soldier, I was deployed to Afghanistan once before as a reservist, and fought with members of the regular forces. Now though I really want to try to do this full-time, I want to see what my military potential is. In afghanistan, when I was outside the wire, I was fighting for C Coy, or "C Contact" as we came to be known.. It wasn't about Canada, it was about my buddies, gunners, riflemen, and grenadiers. When i volunteered to be deployed to Afghanistan, thats why i did it, because friends did. Because I wanted the experience, I spent summer training to be infantry, and I wanted to put myself to a test. I was proud not just because i was Canadian, but because i was doing good things. And even when i wasn't doing the nicest things, I was still proud. Combat is probably the ultimate test of everything, although I still do wonder if the honor felt in winning or surviving and the friendships we have were really worth the blood of friends and enemys.. Still, I want to be a professional soldier, I don't care who I fight for, I care about what we do, and I care about who I fight with, I want to work with those who are most professional and good people, I want to be the best of the best. After I do this though, I know I want to be in the UAE, I fell in love with Middle Eastern culture when I went to Afghanistan. When a friend who deployed to Dubai came back and told me about what he experienced there, I knew that this was the place for me.
williell
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 18, 2007
gtmash wrote:What's all this bull about swapping armies? You'd have to be a citizen of a country to be in its military.

I've read that much of the UAE's military is expatriates, Britian will train people to soldier if they are from a commonwealth nations (Canada). My mother is British, so I could have British Citizenship and get in a little faster because I won't need a sponsor.
williell
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 18, 2007
I could never understand the squaddie mentality.

Seems like you just want to kill people, regardless of what you believe in.

That's the job of the military... killing people. Sure they have other activities, but never forget, the number one job of the military is to action the death of human beings.

Those who fight for their country... I understand. Those who fight for anyone, for thrills, money or the lifestyle... well... there's a special place for you.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 18, 2007
williell wrote:I am canadian, and my mother is british. I have had a small taste of what it is like to soldier, I was deployed to Afghanistan once before as a reservist, and fought with members of the regular forces. Now though I really want to try to do this full-time, I want to see what my military potential is. In afghanistan, when I was outside the wire, I was fighting for C Coy, or "C Contact" as we came to be known.. It wasn't about Canada, it was about my buddies, gunners, riflemen, and grenadiers. When i volunteered to be deployed to Afghanistan, thats why i did it, because friends did. Because I wanted the experience, I spent summer training to be infantry, and I wanted to put myself to a test. I was proud not just because i was Canadian, but because i was doing good things. And even when i wasn't doing the nicest things, I was still proud. Combat is probably the ultimate test of everything, although I still do wonder if the honor felt in winning or surviving and the friendships we have were really worth the blood of friends and enemys.. Still, I want to be a professional soldier, I don't care who I fight for, I care about what we do, and I care about who I fight with, I want to work with those who are most professional and good people, I want to be the best of the best. After I do this though, I know I want to be in the UAE, I fell in love with Middle Eastern culture when I went to Afghanistan. When a friend who deployed to Dubai came back and told me about what he experienced there, I knew that this was the place for me.

I don't understand your ambition whatsoever, but not it's not on me to judge...

"I want to work with those who are most professional and good people, I want to be the best of the best. "

Ever thought about joining the "Légion étrangère"?
Globetrotter
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 18, 2007
Globetrotter wrote:
williell wrote:I am canadian, and my mother is british. I have had a small taste of what it is like to soldier, I was deployed to Afghanistan once before as a reservist, and fought with members of the regular forces. Now though I really want to try to do this full-time, I want to see what my military potential is. In afghanistan, when I was outside the wire, I was fighting for C Coy, or "C Contact" as we came to be known.. It wasn't about Canada, it was about my buddies, gunners, riflemen, and grenadiers. When i volunteered to be deployed to Afghanistan, thats why i did it, because friends did. Because I wanted the experience, I spent summer training to be infantry, and I wanted to put myself to a test. I was proud not just because i was Canadian, but because i was doing good things. And even when i wasn't doing the nicest things, I was still proud. Combat is probably the ultimate test of everything, although I still do wonder if the honor felt in winning or surviving and the friendships we have were really worth the blood of friends and enemys.. Still, I want to be a professional soldier, I don't care who I fight for, I care about what we do, and I care about who I fight with, I want to work with those who are most professional and good people, I want to be the best of the best. After I do this though, I know I want to be in the UAE, I fell in love with Middle Eastern culture when I went to Afghanistan. When a friend who deployed to Dubai came back and told me about what he experienced there, I knew that this was the place for me.

I don't understand your ambition whatsoever, but not it's not on me to judge...

"I want to work with those who are most professional and good people, I want to be the best of the best. "

Probably a wind up merchant
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 18, 2007
williell wrote:
I've read that much of the UAE's military is expatriatese.

Hey man, which moron told you that? He must've confused the UAE military with the UAE "labour" force. Decades ago, a handful of expats joined the military, but not anymore.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: UAE Military Feb 18, 2007
williell wrote:Has anyone here served in the UAE Military? How professional do you believe it is, are its soldiers as fit and professional as those of Britian, U.S.A., or Canada? Does it have special forces? What language does its servicemen speek (arabic, english, ect)?

well mr, I am one of thoses military guys who served in kuwait and I know for a fact that britsh and us militaries, chickend out to go in kuwait befor us, we cleared the ways, road and mined feilds, but it was a top secret bcz of some stupid political issues !!!!!!!

yes you people have better TECH but we always bust there asses and win life ammuntion training and missions, we had a round 5 of them and it always end up us loughing at them soliders from us and britsh when their commanders scream at them failing the missions :)

sorrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy
firefingers

Re: UAE Military Feb 18, 2007
firefingers wrote:
williell wrote:Has anyone here served in the UAE Military? How professional do you believe it is, are its soldiers as fit and professional as those of Britian, U.S.A., or Canada? Does it have special forces? What language does its servicemen speek (arabic, english, ect)?

well mr, I am one of thoses military guys who served in kuwait and I know for a fact that britsh and us militaries, chickend out to go in kuwait befor us, we cleared the ways, road and mined feilds, but it was a top secret bcz of some stupid political issues !!!!!!!

yes you people have better TECH but we always bust there asses and win life ammuntion training and missions, we had a round 5 of them and it always end up us loughing at them soliders from us and britsh when their commanders scream at them failing the missions :)

sorrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy

:lol: So the Brits and Americans "chickened out" of minesweeping duties to let the locals do it? Yeah, they must be gutted they didn't get the plaudits for that one!
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 18, 2007
I have met someone living over here who is a British Citizen / UAE resident and a Major in the UAE army for the last 7 years.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Feb 18, 2007

I just read on wikipedia, that it would be illegal for me as a german citicen to recruit with the légion étrangére.... :lol:

Don't know if that's just us and Switzerland, or if other nations have similar laws...

EDIT: Austrians even LOSE their nationality if they join up! :shock:
mcbrite
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 19, 2007
gtmash wrote:
williell wrote:

Hey man, which moron told you that? He must've confused the UAE military with the UAE "labour" force. Decades ago, a handful of expats joined the military, but not anymore.

" The Trucial Oman Scouts, long the symbol of public order on the coast and commanded by British officers, were turned over to the United Arab Emirates as its defense forces in 1971. The UAE armed forces, consisting of 65,000 troops, are headquartered in Abu Dhabi and are primarily responsible for the defense of the seven emirates.

The UAE military relies heavily on troop forces from other Arab countries and Pakistan. The officer corps, however, is composed almost exclusively of UAE nationals. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_o ... b_Emirates

Im sorry that you can't understand my logic, I don't know if you could really understand unless you have actually done it already. ^ian^ is right, we did kill, but we did it for good reasons (that is just my opinion). I didn't mind doing it because I thought it was the right thing to do. The people of Afghanistan, especially the youth, deserve to be free from oppression. I killed those people who terrorized students and teachers with blackmail, killed them with car bombs, and mortared them from the mountains. I think that I am right to have done what I did because I believed I was doing a good thing, I protected my friends and made other peoples lives safer. I walked children to school, sheltered them from insurgents, whereas insurgents took innocent civilians, and held them hostage so they could be more safe. I can't understand the logic of those who serve as brainwashed ignorant patriots. Its not about the country, its about those friends you make and what you actually do.
williell
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 19, 2007
williell wrote:
gtmash wrote:
williell wrote:

" The Trucial Oman Scouts, long the symbol of public order on the coast and commanded by British officers, were turned over to the United Arab Emirates as its defense forces in 1971. The UAE armed forces, consisting of 65,000 troops, are headquartered in Abu Dhabi and are primarily responsible for the defense of the seven emirates.

The UAE military relies heavily on troop forces from other Arab countries and Pakistan. The officer corps, however, is composed almost exclusively of UAE nationals. "

Im sorry that you can't understand my logic, I don't know if you could really understand unless you have actually done it already. ^ian^ is right, we did kill, but we did it for good reasons (that is just my opinion). I didn't mind doing it because I thought it was the right thing to do. The people of Afghanistan, especially the youth, deserve to be free from oppression. I killed those people who terrorized students and teachers with blackmail, killed them with car bombs, and mortared them from the mountains. I think that I am right to have done what I did because I believed I was doing a good thing, I protected my friends and made other peoples lives safer. I walked children to school, sheltered them from insurgents, whereas insurgents took innocent civilians, and held them hostage so they could be more safe. I can't understand the logic of those who serve as brainwashed ignorant patriots. Its not about the country, its about those friends you make and what you actually do.

I think you need to see a Doctor
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 19, 2007
williell wrote:
gtmash wrote:
williell wrote:

A lot has changed since 1971. Do you know how easy it would be for Al Qaeda and the CIA to infiltrate the local military if what you said is still true?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 20, 2007
oh the UAE got a military? :?
anyways then isn't it Qatar which doesn't have one and has the US Centcom protect its butt?
Abrar
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 20, 2007
Who wants to go to the military anyway??

Peace :hippy2: my friend.....

The whole time I did search a reason for using this pic.

Here is the reason :wink:
Tropic23

Feb 21, 2007
gtmash wrote:
williell wrote:

My next door neighbour is a general in the Army and he's from Sudan.
Another neighbour of mine trains the UAE Army, and he's from the States. He said that if I every get into trouble, give him a call and he will sort it out. :)

Personally, I think that any foreigner in the UAE defence force would have zero career progression when up against UAE nationals who get a free ticket, so I can't understand why they would be interested anyway.
benwj

Feb 21, 2007
benwj wrote:
gtmash wrote:
williell wrote:

My next door neighbour is a general in the Army and he's from Sudan.
Another neighbour of mine trains the UAE Army, and he's from the States. He said that if I every get into trouble, give him a call and he will sort it out. :)

Personally, I think that any foreigner in the UAE defence force would have zero career progression when up against UAE nationals who get a free ticket, so I can't understand why they would be interested anyway.

Your Sudanese friend must've gotten in during the early years. And yes, they hire foreigners for training. My Asian friend was offered a position to train local soldiers in engineering. But it's been a while since foreigners could get into the main force.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat